Speeding up Gameplay

Erwin

As scenarios increase in size, maintaining speed of play is becoming more of an issue since CM2 is more complicated to "operate" than CM1.

Personally, I no longer have any big complaints with the way the game looks, or actually plays out - regardless of any issues we may have about the way LOS works or whether there should be an "Ambush" command, the current state of the CM2 game system is way better than any competitor.

The big issue now is the length of time it takes to play a large scenario (let alone campaigns). What can be done to make gameplay more efficient?

My suggestion is that there are several UI items that take unnecessary extra seconds to do. When you have to take these actions for a couple dozen units almost every turn in a 2 hour WEGO game, one ends up wasting hours for no reason.

My picks in order of time wasting inefficiencies:

1) Selectable waypoints. It saved a massive amount of time in CM1 when one could simply click on a waypoint or line, and thus instantly select that unit. In CM2 one has to go locate the appropriate unit wherever it is on the map and click on the unit itself.

2) The 180 degree arc. When you are moving vehicles especially, I often want them to change arcs at several waypoints. In CM1 it takes a second or less with a single keystroke to do a long range arc. In CM2 it takes several seconds as you shift your POV to place the arc.

3) Revamp the ACQUIRE system so that (within reasonable limits) any unit can swap ammo with an adjacent unit (possibly with a time penalty). No more wasting WEGO turns as units have to disembark so that other units may enter a vehicle and then disembark for yet another unit to enter and so on...

3a) Make it possible to take smaller amount of ammo. What do you do when you need your sniper to take a couple hundred rounds when the minimum is 1,000? You waste turns as other units have to embark and disembark to take that amount and more, until it is possible to take 200 rounds.

4) Some way of instantly identifying the teams of a split squad. Color coded borders etc.

Regarding acquiring ammo, the squad also has to be split up to fit in vehicle, then regrouped again after they are done acquiring.

Moving and keeping a platoon( 4 squads plus commander) along a path with bocage on both side is another very tedious process. Invariably, a squad or 2 will start moving off the path, through an opening of a bocage and exposed. I had to set multiple waypoints for individual squad along the length of a curvy path.

Here's a simple update that will speed of game play in armor-centric engagements: denote on the vehicle graphic at the bottom of the screen whether it's buttoned up or unbuttoned. Instead of having to jump to the movement command panel.

Yep, I'd find that super-useful too.

It's been asked for a lot too, about as often as infantry showing "Passenger" when in a vehicle or "x Floor" when in building.

Maybe when RT is out the door, they can work on some of these little enhancements.

Here's a simple update that will speed of game play in armor-centric engagements: denote on the vehicle graphic at the bottom of the screen whether it's buttoned up or unbuttoned. Instead of having to jump to the movement command panel.

You mean maybe like this? Other options under portait are the word "Passenger" if a unit is currently a passenger, and “# Floor” to show what floor on.

open.jpg

How do you find time to play the game, Vinnie? I mean, when you're not dreaming up these great ideas.

I still find time ;) Many of the ideas I present are things that the BF team has also thought of I’m sure, but perhaps in a different way of doing certain features. After all game design is what they do and think of most. Although I play CM mainly WEGO, many of the things I present are geared toward improving situational awareness at a glance for real time play in mind, but certainly help the WEGO player too. Many features they want to do are basically limited to time, and budget so they cannot get it all done at once. Hopefully the desired wish list will be empty someday, but I doubt it. I do think though that the ideas above are important to improving the overall ease of gameplay in regard to ease of gaining situational awarness.

You mean maybe like this? Other options under portait are the word "Passenger" if a unit is currently a passenger, and “# Floor” to show what floor on.

That works. And simple. They should avoid 'buttoned' and 'unbuttoned' which will lead to eye strain. That and the graphical affiliation of split teams are at the top of my list.

That, and a more intuitive way to see how many total passenger seats a vehicle has and how many of those seats are currently occupied. Those tiny little dots aren't really the greatest in trying to figure out whether a unit can fit inside a vehicle.

I've been to the 24 Hours of LeMans and the Indy 500 (ten times). So, yeah, it's on my "bucket list". But I'll have to settle for being a spectator.

Ahh, a racing fan ! :)

Those sure are some of the 'biggies' when it comes to racing. One of the greatest swedish race drivers, Kenny Bräck, won the Indy 500 in 1999 (IIRC).

I have never really been to any major races like thoose. The swedish world championship-race in Moto cross (Uddevalla) and the swedish WRC-rally is on the top of my list.

What i would like to do some day hopefully not to far into the future would be to travel spain and see one off the MOTO-GP races live. A visit to Isle of man sounds like a nice trip also..:D

I hope the timing works out for you with your Paris-Dakar plans...

repsol, I have watched Mick race.

Lucky you ! :)

That man sure could/can handle a moto-GP bike like few others and push it well beyond the limit of what 'should' be possible...I only saw him race on the telly.

Despite his TOTAL comitment to victory in every race he seldom crashed IIRC.

I'm afraid i have forgotten if he actually won EVERY !!! race during one of the seasons or if he missed out on one off them...

No question though...He totaly dominated the scene in the early/mid nineties.

Keep the shiny side up :)

You too :D

Ahh, a racing fan ! :)

Since we're going O/T....

Do you really believe auto racing rivals ancient chariot racing as a spectator event? If a Roman or Greek was found frozen in a northern ice floe and re-animated he'd find the former low voltage compared to the drama and carnage of the Circus Maximus- still the largest (300,000+), and, likely, noisiest, stadium ever built. And, with a good seat, you get to watch the whole damn race unlike Formula 1. ;)

A friend of mine got a WIP pass to the Monaco GP with acsess to the pit boxes and all expences paid for a few years ago (his boss arranged that for him for a jobb well done...)...

Nice boss ! My friend was more then happy !!

Motorsport and racing is something i like but i'm afraid we'd better get back on topic before get accused of derailing this thread...;)

Interesting factoids:

The charioteers were lavishly paid, fully commensurate with modern sports superstars. Betting was rampant, rules strictly enforced and elaborate statistics recorded, many extant on their tombs.

The race in Ben-Hur is farcical from beginning to end. For one thing it depicts

the participants driving heavy, processional chariots. In reality they were light, low slung affairs, built for speed.

The poet Ovid writes about the Circus crowd in Amores 3.2:

You on the right, sir - please be careful. Your elbow's hurting the lady. And you in the row behind-sit up sir. Your knees are digging into her back. But how about a breath of air while we wait? I can fan you with this program. He describes the race thusly: The Praetor is starting the first race. Four horses chariots. Look! They're off! There's your driver. Anyone you back is bound to win. Even the horses seem to know what you want. Look, he's taking the corner too wide. What are you doing dolt? The man behind is catching up. Come on! You are breaking my girl's heart. Pull on the left rein! Oh we've backed a loser! Let's go everyone-flap your togas and let's call for a fresh start. They're off-look at them come out of the stalls. How colorful it is. Now is your chance, come on! Take the lead! Please my lady here! Yea! He did it! You got what you wanted. Now what about me? Do I win too? She's smiling with a promise in her big eyes.

Repsol what's the number of your lawyer again? ;)