A Temple to Mars support thread

kensal

Basically I've broken a US infantry regiment. In less than 45 minutes. The situation is not dissimilar to the first day on the Somme but up the side of a mountain. In a snowstorm.

This thread is for anyone else who has suffered playing this scenario. I need some sympathy :(

(btw Tux, you're not invited! :mad:)

ha I remember testing that one. You have my sympathy. I think that was the first real battle I tried with the new settings for weather and visibility. All I could think was "It FEELS friggin cold!" Then my guys started dying. From what I have read on the Cassino battles it is pretty much on target. It is not for the faint of heart.

kensai,

I initially fundamentally misunderstood what you were saying. To have broken a U.S. regiment in 45 minutes seemed impressive to me, so I couldn't understand why you needed sympathy. But now that I understand you're talking about your regiment's being broken… How splendid the ambiguities of the English language!

Regards,

John Kettler

kensai,

I initially fundamentally misunderstood what you were saying. To have broken a U.S. regiment in 45 minutes seemed impressive to me, so I couldn't understand why you needed sympathy. But now that I understand you're talking about your regiment's being broken… How splendid the ambiguities of the English language!

Regards,

John Kettler

Ha, yes. I suppose it could be read that way for a couple of seconds but this is not an achievement to be proud of unfortunately.

This thread is making me very curious to play the offensive half of this scenario once our game is over, Kensal. Having suffered under the weight of your assault I feel it must be possible for the Yanks to win this one.

If you feel like you've been bad and deserve to be punished for wrongs committed in a past life, A Temple to Mars is a good place to start.

Anyhow I'm not sure the US can win the way I've been going about things - hint: I'm not totally spent yet. One of the really depressing aspects I've noticed about fighting up a steep slope is watching (a) your small arms fire shooting harmlessly up into the air (B) your artillery fire landing on the far side of the hill.

If I had to play this scenario again (if for example I had been a really really bad person in another life) I would be much slower to commit large forces into an attack. As the US player you get a whole regt to deploy in the first quarter and it is very tempting to think - well I'll put this battalion up this hill and overwhelm the defenders because I've got another two battalions behind. However that creates unmissable targets for the German mortars which are absolutely devastating. Then every second German is carrying an MG42 -literally.

I am cringing each time I open a new file and click replay to see what fresh awfulness awaits..:(