Operation Corporate

While this looks great, the problem with generating scenarios is the massive difference between the respective infantry units and their equipment as modelled in CMSF and the reality of 1982. I would gladly knock up scenarios if this wasn't the case, having served in the Falklands (not during the war) and toured the battlefields.

Combatintman - thanks for the expert opinion. Interesting to hear from someone who has walked the ground. Could you highlight where you feel the most obvious weaknesses are? Would the Arg have greater equality in terms of their weaponry? Appreciate I can't replicate the actual weapons ...FN etc. I might use a NATO slot with some model swapping if I need to upgrade the Arg forces capabilities.

Blimey, while I would hardly call myself an expert, the main issues are:

Night fighting equipment, a lot of the main actions contained a significant component of night fighting. In CMSF the British are well-equipped with night fighting equipment giving them possibly more of an advantage than they had for real against the Argentinians who were comparatively better off in this regard.

Body armour. I am not aware of any body armour being issued during the Falklands to either side, yet in CMSF it is standard for the British.

Section firepower. In 1982 a rifle section was organised into a rifle group and a gun group similar to WW2. The section's firepower rested on the single GPMG of the gun group. The modern organisation gives everybody a fully automatic weapon and it is designed to be fought as two equal fire teams. While a rifle grenade in the form of the Energa was available in 1982, it does not really compare to the UGL available to the CMSF rifle section.

Those are my big issues and regrettably they are 'under the hood' factors that cannot be changed which is a great shame because I like what you have done here and it would be an interesting conflict to do scenarios for.

Combatintman - thanks that's really useful and, as you've made clear, it's evident that CMSF's design severely limits the realism of this attempted mod. A damn shame as it would have been nice to be able to do this one properly but we are where we are.

I'll continue to make some cosmetic changes for those who fancy a few QBs.

Your insights have been much appreciated.:cool:

No worries mate - believe me I would rip Battlefront's arm off if it brought out a game that allowed modelling the post-Colonial era when the Brits were armed with SLRs and GPMGs in their rifle sections and I was in my youth. Wider than that there is some pretty cool kit like the Saladin and Ferret armoured cars and the Centurion tank which would be great to bring into action. The modding possibilities would be awesome as well with theatres as varied as Cyprus, Aden, Northern Ireland, Borneo, NW Europe and of course the Falklands. I still like your work though.

• 1 month later...

Still pottering around with this one. Limits to what I can do, as previously discussed.

Have swapped in the Dutch from the Nato Module to play the role of the Argentinian forces. Means that in Blue vs Blue both sides have night vision. Have also been experimenting with adapting one of the QB maps to a fictional engagement for the Falklands. Still a way to go.

Flk1.jpg

Flk3.jpg

Flk5.jpg

Flk2.jpg

Flk4.jpg

The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that you would be better off modding CMBN for the Falklands than CMSF. No body armour in CMBN, weapon calibres equate better .303 and 7.92 are a better match for 7.62mm. Given that the SLR was semi-automatic I see no reason why the .303 could not be substituted for it. Both the Bren (rebored to 7.62mm) and .303 sniper rifle were in service which would save some work. The Argentinians could be modded from the US which would save work on the helmet and the M3 grease gun. BARs and semi-automatic M1s would be a good match for the two variants of the FN that they used. The building set for CMBN is a better match for the Falklands as well.