Deploy Command and Covered Arcs -- Bug

Heavy weapons teams with a directional covered arc command will not deploy. By directional I mean not 360°. Units with a 360° arc will deploy as will units with a face command. And deployed units with a directional covered arc will pack-up. But they will not deploy. This was tested with MG42 HMG, M1919a4 MMG, M1917 HMG and 60mm mortar teams.

Michael, I generally bunch all my orders in one hit - travel, face, deploy, CA. "Set and forget" gives me more time to manage other units, definitely a useful procedure in Real Time. WEGO, less of an issue. It helps me to have a standardised approach to giving orders as I'm less likely to forget something important.

That said, I have no idea whether the game parses the orders in the sequence I give them - I just figure that clear communication is appreciated by computers just as much as by meat people.

Michael, I generally bunch all my orders in one hit - travel, face, deploy, CA. "Set and forget" gives me more time to manage other units, definitely a useful procedure in Real Time. WEGO, less of an issue. It helps me to have a standardised approach to giving orders as I'm less likely to forget something important.

Okay, that is a reasonable and informative answer to the question I was asking. Thank you. As a WEGO player exclusively, that hadn't occurred to me, which is why I was puzzled. I tend to give rather limited sets of orders per turn, and then expand on them as the situation develops. Totally different style of play. If I were to play RT, I would be hitting the Pause button all the time.

Michael

Good catch and I hope it gets fixed soon. But while it is around, how much is it going to effect gameplay? I mean, how hard is it to avoid giving a directional CA before deploying? I ask because it would never have occurred to me to give a unit a CA before deploying.

Michael

What do you do if they finish deployment with 30 secs left on the clock? Is there not a risk of them giving away their position? (presuming that is the more common reason for using CA)

But while it is around, how much is it going to effect gameplay? I mean, how hard is it to avoid giving a directional CA before deploying?

I also do this even in WEGO - that way I don't have to remember to revisit the MG every turn to see if it is done deploying. I would much rather create a plan for the MG and give it all the orders to do that on one go.

I forget stuff, alot :)

But, I probably will not hit this often, but $10 says I'll forget all about this defect and it will bite me later :D

Good catch and I hope it gets fixed soon. But while it is around, how much is it going to effect gameplay? I mean, how hard is it to avoid giving a directional CA before deploying? I ask because it would never have occurred to me to give a unit a CA before deploying.

Michael

Michael, you might wish to re-read the 3rd sentence of the OP...

"And deployed units with a directional covered arc will pack-up."

just sayin...

After posting this I started wondering about the quote above, so I tested it in MG Green Hell. I only tested one mg (m1917) but it did not pack up when a directional covered arc was applied, both in its default startup location and once it had established itself at a new location. It did ignore the deploy order upon arrival at a new location with a covered arc order until the covered arc order was removed, at which point it deployed and stayed deployed after receiving a new covered arc order.

Okay, that is a reasonable and informative answer to the question I was asking. Thank you. As a WEGO player exclusively, that hadn't occurred to me, which is why I was puzzled. I tend to give rather limited sets of orders per turn, and then expand on them as the situation develops. Totally different style of play. If I were to play RT, I would be hitting the Pause button all the time.

Michael

Another reason to give the team a short, directional covered arc is if you want it to set up oriented to fire in a particular direction, but not to fire immediately any set of sights can be brought to bear. Especially useful in Bocage fighting, where just leaving the team to set up along the axis they last moved can mean the MG doesn't have a view over the berm. If you just give them Face orders, they'll fire at the earliest opportunity.

Michael, you might wish to re-read the 3rd sentence of the OP...

"And deployed units with a directional covered arc will pack-up."

just sayin...

After posting this I started wondering about the quote above, so I tested it in MG Green Hell. I only tested one mg (m1917) but it did not pack up when a directional covered arc was applied, both in its default startup location and once it had established itself at a new location.

50cg.jpg

My flickr account was shut down due to inactivity... If you've got a dropbox I can send you a similar yet different screenie, i.e., mg team deployed with covered arc NOT packing up, or you can just take my word for it. So, I guess it is interesting that you are experiencing this aspect of the covered arc/deploy bug while I am not. I am currently running vanilla CMBN (no mods) with CW and MG - v2.11.