Previous versions and MG

I just purchased and installed MG, but in order to be able to finish my 2.00 pbem games i first copied the contents of the CM folder to a different location, then applied MG to the original one.

The issue is every time i start the 2.00 version,then switch back to MG, the activation for MG vanishes. I can start the game just fine,at the bottom of the screen it says v 2.10, but the MG blue icon isn't there and the MG battles/campaigns are greyed out.

Anyone encountering this as well? Any idea what the fix - if any - might be?

I just purchased and installed MG, but in order to be able to finish my 2.00 pbem games i first copied the contents of the CM folder to a different location, then applied MG to the original one.

The issue is every time i start the 2.00 version,then switch back to MG, the activation for MG vanishes. I can start the game just fine,at the bottom of the screen it says v 2.10, but the MG blue icon isn't there and the MG battles/campaigns are greyed out.

Anyone encountering this as well? Any idea what the fix - if any - might be?

Same problem here!

yep, it's happening... and it's easy to work around.

From one of my posts in the couple of thread running about this issue in the tech support forum:

I think that BTS made some kind of change in the shared files hidden under the public user with the new update. They had not done this with previous updates so it's a new thing. Perhaps something that anti-tampering routines in the older version of the game change back. That means that parallel installs will not work as perfectly as before.

I just copied the MG key to a text file and left it on my desktop. Whenever I change from 2.01 to 2.10, I just run the activation again. Luckily in my case I have only 1 'old' game going. The rest were either FI games or other players that updated right away so we just updated our games and went on under 2.10.

yep, it's happening... and it's easy to work around.

From one of my posts in the couple of thread running about this issue in the tech support forum:

I think that BTS made some kind of change in the shared files hidden under the public user with the new update. They had not done this with previous updates so it's a new thing. Perhaps something that anti-tampering routines in the older version of the game change back. That means that parallel installs will not work as perfectly as before.

I just copied the MG key to a text file and left it on my desktop. Whenever I change from 2.01 to 2.10, I just run the activation again. Luckily in my case I have only 1 'old' game going. The rest were either FI games or other players that updated right away so we just updated our games and went on under 2.10.

I think the activations are limited, or?

Let me see if i got it straight. You reran the installer and now you are able to play both MG and v 2.00 without having to reactivate MG every time you launch 2.00? Is this correct?

Yes, am playing German campaign, have started two or three scenario's to look at them and no problems.

However, I did not play PBEM, nor have I tried to load and older CMBN/CW game-save yet.

No, the activations are limited to the number of machines you are installed on, not the number of times you activate on the same machine (at least that has been my experience over the last couple of days and how I read the knowledge base articles).

I was under the impression you have a total of 3 activations available,iregardless of the machine from where you activate it. I would be happy to stand corrected, but i believe the trick with reactivating MG over and over again won't work. No more than 3 times that is :)

No, the activations are limited to the number of machines you are installed on, not the number of times you activate on the same machine (at least that has been my experience over the last couple of days and how I read the knowledge base articles).

That is correct. The system is not 100% error free, as no software is, in determining "the same machine", but in 99% of all cases it should not eat up activations when you run the activation interface on the same PC. It's not recommended, though, because of that 1% where it can bite you, and because having multiple copies of CMBN on the same PC is in fact unsupported and potentially unstable, and could lead to other issues, as well.

having multiple copies of CMBN on the same PC is in fact unsupported and potentially unstable

What, news to me. I have been running that way since you guys issued the first patch. And Steve has it as part of his recommended usage (see item 2):

Players wishing to finish up a legacy game have two choices:

1. Hold off upgrading (or downgrade to v1.11) until the game is complete and then upgrade after.

2. Create a second install and upgrade that one to v2.0 while using the original install to complete previous games in v1.11.

This will not consume any of your licenses since, technically, they are two separate products.