I've got a feeling deep inside

MarkEzra,

Love the first part of your sig. Brilliant! Didn't even catch the twist on the first pass.

On a different note, for some reason, when seeing your name, a memory circuit tripped. Were you by any chance at Actor's CMBB Beta (?) Demo game at his house in Corona? If so, I believe we've met. Certainly, you've been a Forumite long enough for this to be a real possibility. Besides, you're in the right state!

Regards,

John Kettler

Got me old "Vietcong Purple Haze" (Just the music alone makes it worth watching the antiquated graphics, I luuuuv this game) goin' again, since my faith in Market Garden arrival is pretty much gone...

every time i meet someone that plays vietcong i get all gooey inside. It is an epic game. P.S. Do you know an easy way to get it to work on windows 7

MarkEzra,

Love the first part of your sig. Brilliant! Didn't even catch the twist on the first pass.

On a different note, for some reason, when seeing your name, a memory circuit tripped. Were you by any chance at Actor's CMBB Beta (?) Demo game at his house in Corona? If so, I believe we've met. Certainly, you've been a Forumite long enough for this to be a real possibility. Besides, you're in the right state!

Regards,

John Kettler

Yep and you never sent me flowers afterwards... You know that was held less than 4 miles from where I lived at the time... talk about a lucky guy. Glad to see you getting into CMx2.

every time i meet someone that plays vietcong i get all gooey inside. It is an epic game. P.S. Do you know an easy way to get it to work on windows 7

Yeah, it took me a while, too.

First of all, if you have an virus scanner that is as good as mine, you'll have to deal with that first. Since Vietcong is pretty old, my virus scanner saw it as something unknown and assumed it could be a virus.

Make sure you have administrator access.

I installed the game with the options that Vietcong suggested (800 x 600 resolution, for instance), and then I got this pop-up screen-box with the remark that Vietcong might have been wrongly installed and whether I wanted to change that or that I just wanted to continue. I continued.

I didn't do it, but you would be wise to use Windows7 compatibility-mode before installing the game. It will ask you under what operating system the game used to run and provides a list. Pick "Windows XP (service pack3)".

I had to try a few times, but it works fine now.

Good luck with one of the best games I ever played.

(First time I played, I didn't know I could use the flashlight in the tunnels, so I stumbled around for days in the pitch black. I totally got lost time and time again, fell in the punji-pits, stepped on other booby-traps and more than once got scared ****less when suddenly a VC appeared from nowhere and blew me away.

I couldn't, and still can't, believe how those real "Tunnelrats" entered the tunnels again and again on their own, with just a flashlight and a colt 1911. Talk about courageous..

Yeah, it took me a while, too.

First of all, if you have an virus scanner that is as good as mine, you'll have to deal with that first. Since Vietcong is pretty old, my virus scanner saw it as something unknown and assumed it could be a virus.

Make sure you have administrator access.

I installed the game with the options that Vietcong suggested (800 x 600 resolution, for instance), and then I got this pop-up screen-box with the remark that Vietcong might have been wrongly installed and whether I wanted to change that or that I just wanted to continue. I continued.

I didn't do it, but you would be wise to use Windows7 compatibility-mode before installing the game. It will ask you under what operating system the game used to run and provides a list. Pick "Windows XP (service pack3)".

I had to try a few times, but it works fine now.

Good luck with one of the best games I ever played.

(First time I played, I didn't know I could use the flashlight in the tunnels, so I stumbled around for days in the pitch black. I totally got lost time and time again, fell in the punji-pits, stepped on other booby-traps and more than once got scared ****less when suddenly a VC appeared from nowhere and blew me away.

I couldn't, and still can't, believe how those real "Tunnelrats" entered the tunnels again and again on their own, with just a flashlight and a colt 1911. Talk about courageous..

Haha Yes me too i had no idea i had a flashlight omg im going to install this game now.. It is such a masterpiece

Oh god, I LOVED Vietcong!

Yes. That first level - the jeep drive out to check out a neighboring village... great stuff. Some of the later levels veered into unreality and lost me a bit, but I thought they did a great job of capturing something real with the game.

Any of you guys play SEAL Team back in the 90s? What I wouldn't give for that game, with Vietcong's engine.

Edit.............

How about just a flashlight......you couldn't move around too well with something in each hand. Those tunnels were dug for folks around five feet tall. Plus you had to feel forward for tripwires and other booby traps like bamboo vipers tethered to the turn areas in the tunnels. The 45 was in the holster, we weren't smart enough back in the 60's to figure out a way to attach a light to the weapon. Most of the time before we did a search on anything really complex we pumped CS gas into entrances, if we heard coughing and gagging we didn't go in right away.

Most of the time big tunnel complexes were uninhabited by the time we arrived, different story with village tunnel systems. If they wanted to stand and fight in a ville they used the tunnels to move around to flank us or to escape. We left those alone until the area was secured. Very interesting work I assure you, but back then I was only twenty and didn't know better.

I've heard that our troops regarded the .45 as too noisy in the confined space of a tunnel and switched to .22 pistols. On the other hand, .22 seems a bit light. If you were doing tunnel work, Nidan1, did you ever encounter that practice?

Michael

No, not during the time I was there anyway. The only other handgun that we might have gotten access to was a 38 revolver, but we weren't issued those either. I was in the Marine Corps and we were usually at the end of the supply chain, the Army may have used 22 caliber handguns, but I cant confirm that,

We didn't have small flashlights either, rather the angle-head kind like this....

489-thumb.jpg

Would have been tough to tape it to a 45, especially with a moving slide!

Spinoza,

About that feeling...Are you sure it's not borborygmus?

MarkEzra,

Didn't send you flowers? Good one! Do you happen to remember, other than Actor and us, who else was there? In any event, what a fabulous, fun experience! A memory I'll always treasure. As for CMx2, it hasn't been easy, greatly complicated by health and domestic issues. Who knows? I may be able to continue my Para assault on the Duvet ( deliberately sic) Bridge! In terms of my CMBN experience, by far the best so far was "Cats Chasing Dogs," a nail-biter I was able to successfully fight because I didn't have to deal with the PBI and all that entailed.

Regards,

John Kettler