Waal River crossing.

This might have been covered before as I am not on here that often but as CMBN doesn't simulate boats I wondered if they will be part of the CMMG module.

Given the fact that BF tries to put something new and different into a new module and the fact that this is one of the key events of MG I would have hoped it would be in for both historical reasons and because it would have allowed scenario designers to add boats to a whole range of scenarios.

Is it in ?

This might have been covered before as I am not on here that often but as CMBN doesn't simulate boats I wondered if they will be part of the CMMG module.

Given the fact that BF tries to put something new and different into a new module and the fact that this is one of the key events of MG I would have hoped it would be in for both historical reasons and because it would have allowed scenario designers to add boats to a whole range of scenarios.

Is it in ?

Yeah - they are not there. Boats are the one thing I would take before everything else. Even fire.

Yeah - they are not there. Boats are the one thing I would take before everything else. Even fire.

Really, even fire? Fire is something that's potentially in every battle but boats are used in just a handfull of battles. Besides, you can simulate a river crossing by using the fording tiles. It should work reasonably well for the Wall crossing.

Boats, not likely. back to CMX1 you must go.

But I lost my interest with boats when I found I could destroy a mass of them with something like the quad 20 anti air gun. I recall one battle where I ambushed a river crossing with just one gun. I made sure not to allow it to open up until he had most of his boats about mid way across. I sank a least 10 boats and he lost all the infantry witth them and the rest were back on shore with the crews routing. A short battle, won in the events of about 2-3 minutes.

Boats, not likely. back to CMX1 you must go.

But I lost my interest with boats when I found I could destroy a mass of them with something like the quad 20 anti air gun. I recall one battle where I ambushed a river crossing with just one gun. I made sure not to allow it to open up until he had most of his boats about mid way across. I sank a least 10 boats and he lost all the infantry witth them and the rest were back on shore with the crews routing. A short battle, won in the events of about 2-3 minutes.

I vaguely remember reading something about how the Germans couldn't depress the AA guns enough to shoot at the boats crossing the Waal, something that CMBN doesn't model. Or maybe most of them near the river were blocked by the local terrain where the guns were set up.

• 1 month later...

Just completed this battle what a slog! Getting to the fort was quite the ordeal! I think when I finally crested the ridge the ensuing 5 minutes was possibly the largest exchange of lead I've seen in this game.

Also talk about defense in depth and covering fields of fire!

Such a good infantry scenario, what a great map!

I wouldn't want to see boats again unless several other features were added to make them realistic: river state (from still waters to choppy flood), possibility of swamping, loss of control over direction, etc.

All of these things feature at least as much as enemy fire in the success (or failure) of WW2 river crossings. Leaving them out and treating boats as simply very vulnerable trucks won't do.

And if we are going to have boats, we better have Buffalos too. Not to mention being able to differentiate between the different varieties of boats in use. And I am just talking about those used in river crossings. If we are going to get into all the different varieties of landing craft used in ship to shore and/or shore to shore movement and their auxiliaries, that would be a whole module unto itself.

Michael