Can airborne troops ever wear greatcoats?

Long story short:

We are doing a Bulge 44 battle with CMFI GL Parker's Crossroads, trying to arrange data to have airborne troops in greatcoats for a wintery look.

Seems I cannot make it happen. Double-checked purchase screen appearance drag and drop in lower left is greatcoat for battalion and company.

Time setting is Dec 43 and Germans are showing up in THEIR greatcoats.

Other non-airborne US Army soldiers are also showing greatcoats.

Anyone know the deal???

You could probably swap the models (copy the regular overcoat model and texture, then rename it to the US AB unit), and make adjustments to the stock overcoat infantry soldier to work.

I can't remember what the model names are for the US AB soldier or the infantry overcoat model, but unpacking the files would allow you to figure it out fairly quickly.

Not the normal map- the actual 3d model. Although you cannot change these, you can swap one for the other. In this case it would be the US infantry with greatcoat for the US AB soldier. You would just have to sleuth out which is which after decompiling the data files. It's as simple as copying and renaming the files and putting them in our Z folder.

Did I read somewhere that the US Airborne troops -- or some of them anyway -- lacked winter clothing at the start of the Ardennes fighting because they never were expected to remain in Europe so long after Market-Garden? So maybe it's not so unrealistic after all...?

Good luck with the mod effort, though. It's really a blast to watch this battle take shape.

kk, that's what I was trying to do. But locating the models, as Benpark suggests, is nigh impossible for me. I think you need a hex editor, which I have and have messed with a bit, but I read elsewhere on here that FI/GL's structure is such that a hex editor doesn't work with it. Someone with more knowledge of these things can weigh in and tell me I'm wrong/how to do it. Until then, we're out of luck.

Erwin, just renaming the textures should work, since the models for both look close enough. But why, since the US and Brits (except Paras) have greatcoats already?

No need for a hexeditor. You just need to figure out (by name) which model it is that the US infantry greatcoat uses. Then look at what the name for the US AB model is. Then copy and paste the name of the AB model and re-write the greatcoat name. Then put in your Z folder.

I'd do this for you, but I'm beyond busy right now. Maybe in a few weeks I can unpack everything and look at it.

well, it sounded easy so I went in and found the file name for the airborne uniforms in one of the original CMFI brz folders and the file name for greatcoats in one of the GL brz folders and put the greatcoat images in my mod folder with airborne uniforms file name.

But I got this horrible thing. They've got things on their arms and suspenders up the side of their back. WTF?

paragreatcoatfailure_zpsfeff7f82.png

kk, that's what I tried the other day that came out Dali-esque.

Benpark, I tried the mds files yesterday, but no dice. I can find no mdr files for either greatcoats or airborne, but all the little pieces of equipment have one. I'll keep looking, but I've scoured the FI and GL folders.

well, the m42 para are originally from plain jane CMFI so all those files came from those non-GL brz folders. Then we got snow with GL so all the associated greatcoat files are in the GL brz folders....fortress italy v110a gustav line broke down into a bunch of folders

soldiers was one of them which broke down into more, 1 of which was "skeletons" and that had the folders for various uniform types, one of which was american greatcoat which had the .mds files in it.

But I already tried those same mds files from that folder yesterday...nothing happened after renaming. Hmmmm....., maybe I have a para mod in my mod folder I forgot about and it's overriding the ones i modded, or something.

So, just to be clear, you only just changed the names of the US greatcoat mds files?

By the way, don't forget I put the US snow camo mods in the Dropbox. Plus, I'll be posting US, Brit, and German modded greatcoats in the Repository and at CMMODS tonight or tomorrow. (Modded in various hues/shades of the default colors.)

OK, Thanks kk. I was correct, in that I renamed the files the wrong way. I was thinking that since I want the greatcoats to "go onto" the Para models, I needed to rename the Paras using the greatcoat file names. Wrong!

I added more variety in greatcoat coloring to the file you sent me...the new folder is in the DB if you want to try them out. I will be uploading my other greatcoat mods at CMMODS and the Rep today. Is it OK if I also add yours (with the extra variety I added)? Of course I'll credit you and benpark.

I'm also going to upload the snow camo conversions.

and thanks for the birthday wishes.