Guess what I'm up to? :D

Sounding good, new mods are always welcome. :)

Sound engineering is rather intriguing. As a crappy amateur music producer, I've always been interested in how sound effects get made and processed. What kind of effects are used, compression methods, envelope shaping, equalization and so on.

I'm wondering if typical mixing techniques apply, for example you say the G41 gets drowned out, would parallel compression help the problem or is a new sound source required? (mixing together the same track both uncompressed and then heavily compressed, sometimes with very light gain distortion to give it more harmonics)

For me it is a go-to fix whenever some sound is drowning in the mix and it's hard to fix with EQ.

(I know there are audio/music guys on this forum, they have better tips than me)

I'm wondering if typical mixing techniques apply, for example you say the G41 gets drowned out, would parallel compression help the problem or is a new sound source required? (mixing together the same track both uncompressed and then heavily compressed, sometimes with very light gain distortion to give it more harmonics)

NY style compression for G41? ;)

NY style compression for G41? ;)

That is my suggestion yes, I do not know what the results will be like since I haven't worked with sound effects. Is it blasphemy? ;)

You are one of the music guys I was referring to, great that you showed up.

Masking is real PITA. You can use eq., comp., ducking (sidechain) to resolve this masking. In music part where masking occurred you have fixed number of instruments and there is no randomness so every time this part is played it's the same with the same number of instruments (recorded song)...so no surprise. For me sound in CM is dynamic and interact random... and masking is prone to random... IMHO

Right...

Two things:

1: I dont create sounds, I only pilfer them from other sources. Very rarely do i actually change them (but it happens, but only to add things like bolt action or the likes)

B: Why the heck are you guys not creating soundmods when you so obviously know much more about it than I do?

EDIT: oh and the G41 was only drowned out because of its similareties to the Kar98k sound i have and because around 40 soldiers were firing their Kar98k's around 3 guys firing their G41's... im sure it works fine if you have it somewhat isolated (say in just a squad)

Ah, then I would like to compliment you for having good ears. Sound mods for many other games I have played suffer from issues like wildly different volume, sample rate, masking etc.

So doing a sound mod without excessive mixing and touching up the sounds in question is by no means easy.

I'm not doing sound mods because it requires a patient and organized mind to set all the pieces together. Something I'm lacking.

So, keep up the good work and ignore our "advice." As long as it sounds good all is well. :D

And thanks for doing this!

Well i think my (very slight) autism helps with the anal retentiveness when it comes to having the sounds "fit" and be the same volume and such.

As for patience... well i also have ADHD soooo.... I tend to finish my mods in less than a week :)

Intense work and quick results :)

I dont know why im still unemployed :(

Sounding good, new mods are always welcome. :)

Sound engineering is rather intriguing. As a crappy amateur music producer, I've always been interested in how sound effects get made and processed. What kind of effects are used, compression methods, envelope shaping, equalization and so on.

For me it is a go-to fix whenever some sound is drowning in the mix and it's hard to fix with EQ.

(I know there are audio/music guys on this forum, they have better tips than me)

Speaking of audio engineering, you know those gun and MG sounds that play in the background during an orders phase? They sound so obviously synthesized that it is a little annoying. Is there any way they could be modded to sound more authentic? I fear that they reside in the part of the code that is inaccessible to modders.

Michael

Speaking of audio engineering, you know those gun and MG sounds that play in the background during an orders phase? They sound so obviously synthesized that it is a little annoying. Is there any way they could be modded to sound more authentic? I fear that they reside in the part of the code that is inaccessible to modders.

Michael

Isnt that just the backgrounds sound?

There are two background files in my soundmod.

I'm quite happy with stock sounds.

Buuuuuuu! :P

Hello to all,

I'm using waclaw's sound mod, I'm happy with it

but oddball's mod seems good as only small arms, at guns etc. Waclaws artillery, mortar and ricochet sounds are hilarious as additionally

regards

Well im using the vehicle and soldier movement sounds from waclaws mod, as well as the penetration sounds and flames from the SFX 1.25 mod (as i mention in the read me).

Waclaws explosions dont work well with my mod i feel, since his explosions even drown out the cannon sounds in my mod. Im thinking of putting some of the larger explosions back in tho.