CMFI & Charles S. Roberts Award VOTE

Attention! Achtung! Attenzione!

CMFI could win the prestigious Charles S. Roberts Award in the categories of best 20th Century Computer Wargame and Best Computer Game Graphics. Info and how to vote here.

http://charlesrobertsawards.com/voting.php

S. Craig Taylor (designed, inter alia, WSIM, Ironclads) is up for the Clausewitz Hall of Fame and richly deserves it.

While there, you may see a category called Best Expansion. My brother, Ed Kettler, is the author of Steel Typhoon (Clash of Arms), which covers the second half of the War in the Pacific. In immense depth! I wrote a couple of the scenarios.

Regards,

John Kettler

Your brother and I are up against each other. My design -- Hell Over Korea (B-29 Superfortress module) -- is also up for the award. Pretty cool just being nominated!

Attention! Achtung! Attenzione!

CMFI could win the prestigious Charles S. Roberts Award in the categories of best 20th Century Computer Wargame and Best Computer Game Graphics. Info and how to vote here.

http://charlesrobertsawards.com/voting.php

S. Craig Taylor (designed, inter alia, WSIM, Ironclads) is up for the Clausewitz Hall of Fame and richly deserves it.

While there, you may see a category called Best Expansion. My brother, Ed Kettler, is the author of Steel Typhoon (Clash of Arms), which covers the second half of the War in the Pacific. In immense depth! I wrote a couple of the scenarios.

Regards,

John Kettler

Frenchy,

How cool (or hot)! It was indeed perdition over the Land of the Frozen Calm, so much so that daylight B-29 strikes became prohibitively expensive, forcing a shift to night ops. The MiG-15 was a terror, and it got to do what it was designed to do: intercept and kill bombers. Back in the 1980s, I got to look right down the cannon muzzles of a MiG-15 shipped to Planes of Fame in Chino, California. To the consternation of many, it was found to have arrived with all weapons fully functional: 1 x NR-37 and 2 x NR-23!

BTW, Planes of Fame has the only operational Zero with the Sakai 007 engine in the world. I got to see the only other operational Zero (C-47 engine, unfortunately) at Warbirds Over Addison (check YT for vids), and it might've been flown by top Japanese ace Nishizawa. For sure, it was operational from Bailale, New Guinea, a base on Yamamoto's planned (and terminally interrupted) inspection tour.

Regards,

John Kettler

Doesn't seem right to vote for CM while being totally ignorant of all the other candidates- except a few by name. On the other hand, it often seems that Battlefront doesn't get the credit they deserve in the larger community. The mere mention of the name 'Combat Mission' seems to provoke explosive (hmmm...) controversy, both negative and positive, in certain quarters. It's the only war gaming company with an entire forum (not this one) dedicated to slamming, deprecating or dismissing their products . Maybe one could consider the phenomenon a kind of twisted tribute to their success and longevity.

Childress,

I take your point, but in my case, a) such wargaming as I do is only CM and CMBN at that; B) while I'm very active in the CMFI Forum, my knowledge of CMFI is only second hand; c) I haven't downloaded the CMFI Demo (for the same reasons I haven't played CMBN lately, and why confuse myself with new material when I have yet to master CMBN?); d) I subscribe to no wargaming magazines, nor am I to be found on other wargaming boards (unless researching something covered thereon, such as French Panthers on FOW). Bluntly put, I'm woefully ignorant regarding almost every category on the ballot. Thus, I can legitimately register and vote, but, save for Steel Typhoon, my vote would be uninformed. As for Steel Typhoon, since I helped write it, I'm not sure whether I can legitimately vote for it, either.

Regards,

John Kettler

We have a Commemorative Air Force branch here in Peachtree City, Georgia and our annual airshow is coming up in October. Anxious to see what planes will be visiting.

I have not had a chance to visit the Chino Planes of Fame -- if time permits I intend to.

As for that MiG 15 -- that had to be a shocker to have the plane arrive with fully functional guns!

Frenchy,

How cool (or hot)! It was indeed perdition over the Land of the Frozen Calm, so much so that daylight B-29 strikes became prohibitively expensive, forcing a shift to night ops. The MiG-15 was a terror, and it got to do what it was designed to do: intercept and kill bombers. Back in the 1980s, I got to look right down the cannon muzzles of a MiG-15 shipped to Planes of Fame in Chino, California. To the consternation of many, it was found to have arrived with all weapons fully functional: 1 x NR-37 and 2 x NR-23!

BTW, Planes of Fame has the only operational Zero with the Sakai 007 engine in the world. I got to see the only other operational Zero (C-47 engine, unfortunately) at Warbirds Over Addison (check YT for vids), and it might've been flown by top Japanese ace Nishizawa. For sure, it was operational from Bailale, New Guinea, a base on Yamamoto's planned (and terminally interrupted) inspection tour.

Regards,

John Kettler

"It's the only war gaming company with an entire forum (not this one) dedicated to slamming, deprecating or dismissing their products"

Crumbs are that bunch still going? Very sad if they are, I feel sorry for them.

Anyway, I registered and did my duty by putting the ticks in the required boxes.

"It's the only war gaming company with an entire forum (not this one) dedicated to slamming, deprecating or dismissing their products"

Crumbs are that bunch still going? Very sad if they are, I feel sorry for them.

To be fair, recent visits confirm the toxicity level has been declining since Dark Lord Sauron (M.Dorosh) disappeared. A few diehards have left. Some of the refugees have turned up here. I don't know, but one suspects that if a group of adult men gripped with an obsessive aversion to you and your works consecrated a forum to discussing your defects you'd find it kind of, uh, flattering. Shows your Great Power!

Voted! last day to vote? July 29, 2013!

Frenchy,

Would imagine State and DOD had some choice words for the PRC over that gaffe. You'd love Planes of Fame, which has a very nice website, too. CAF rocks, but I think the new name is PC CS. Likewise, the Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus, GA is now the Civil War Naval Museum. Understand it's pretty impressive, but haven't seen it myself. Please visit and send pics!

Rosseau,

You're welcome!

Blackcat,

? I don't follow.

Childress,

Best be careful. Merely mentioning the name here may well unhinge creation!

Regards,

John Kettler