Axis AAR: A Route to Ribera or "A Bridge Too Far" (CMPzC)

A bit of an AAR for the 15,6 battle. Sorry, I didn't take many pics. Actually many = 2 :)

Preservation of the ATG was top priority in this battle. Intel told me I was attacked by a great number of infantry with light tank support.

So my plan was to survive the 30 minute mark to be able to retreat the PAKs without penalty. Without the PAKs there is not much you can do with Italian infantry versus tanks except for close combat. This was no problem to get with the big city at hand but the US is well equipped with SMGs and the huge Italian rifle squads do bad against them in close quarters.

I decided against making a stand and rather retreated in style. :)

I think I made some good guesses where his M5s would go and managed to nail two with the PAK. One neatly parked on a TRP:

Bildschirmfoto2014-10-20um213112_zps0e962dc8.jpg

the other came down the road over a hill into the street. At a crossings at the foot of that hill I had another PAK:

Bildschirmfoto2014-11-03um205808_zps6af09047.jpg

After these two losses the enemy became rather cautious and I had time to retreat.

As usual the Brixias performed quite well. IMHO the best piece of equipment the Italians have. Also the Fiat 626 which is often overlooked. But it has huge capacity and is extremely valuable if you have big maps.

I'm not sure if I threw away a victory here. The US was already very low on morale and fled more often than I expected. But then most kills (I guess) were on the account of the Brixias and those had mostly ran out of ammo. Difficult to say but probably a very close call.

Casualties after Hex 15,6 NE Ribera

ZLUP9oJ.jpg

Good result, all my PaK 40's have withdrawn and now are available as reinforcements for the adjacent battle at Hex 14,6 200 VPL. My casualties are just over 20% so these formations will take a global -1 morale hit before the next PzC phase. My opponent will take the same morale hit and more importantly is 2 more Stuarts down for his ultimate assault on Ribera Central.

Some more pics from Poesel71's battle for NE Ribera.

40+/100 minutes

wdSNf8x.jpg

Y38xEBE.jpg

DJOGjxX.jpg

Are there any ingame consequences if the HQ gets destroyed?

Yes! I go into my study, pour myself a stiff whiskey, pull out the Browning automatic and shoot myself ;)

No seriously, we don't track HQ losses in the campaign so the only effects are the normal effects i.e. one's chain of command is screwed in the current battle.

• 2 weeks later...

Hex 10,8 50/90 minutes.

Both my Pak 40's and two Grilles destroyed within 5 minutes!

The enemies Shermans now have a clear run on my River Verdura objective.

The Grilles are no match for the Shermans in a head to head encounter.

I have sent my reserve infantry Platoon up to Objective Point 108 before the Shermans could cut them off.

So things are looking bleak...

3ZdRzxL.jpg

X2YcKGV.jpg

9KAeunl.jpg

DgfLsQL.jpg

ybDRVd3.jpg

PEXLRYQ.jpg

j6EN4Ml.jpg

Bju14Lj.jpg

yTiLxZA.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Kuderian, :D

Over at FGM, we are going to do an MG44 CMPzC. For the rules pages in our shared Sicily 43 dropbox...are there any new rules discussed here as forum posts that need to be put into the dropbox rules sheets?

Any changes to the rules in the dropbox rules sheets?

Of course you are welcome to participate!

Thanks

kohlenklau (phil)

Edited by kohlenklau

• 3 months later...