Axis AAR: A Route to Ribera or "A Bridge Too Far" (CMPzC)

So far all is well. No contact except some light 60mm mortar fire on my flanks.

My infantry approach the key terrain , the 'Ridge of Death'. If they can take this ridge they will have a strong position to set up their fire support from and continue their advance.

Last battle my opponent Fizou did a sneaky hit & run attack on me. This time I am determined to cut off his retreat and force a surrender.

+11 minutes

w2PRj9Z.jpg

JwQuD3Z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

34-35 minutes

The enemy rear guard on both my flanks is putting up a surprisingly effective fight. Few casualties lost I am afraid.

On my right I am moving up another lorry mounted Grenadier Zug. My Mortars,Grilles and IG continue to pound his suspected retreat routes. Grilles are getting very low on HE (they start with around 7 shells).

On my left I have flanked the exit road and set up my mortars and two Grilles to have eyes on his wheat field retreat routes.

WT03dfK.jpg

ocwr61r.jpg

iWvRrxV.jpg

pk4QAR2.jpg

q8MKyo6.jpg

35-36 minutes

That pesky Ranger is eviscerated spectacularly by my close range Grille.

I continue the chase on my right, unloading my lorry borne Grenadiers and ordering them forward into the cover of the trees. His MMG's are making holes in my lorries not to mention more importantly holes in my men!

A MMG is spotted on my left. This must have retreated back from his Ridge position. It is going to have to get past me, on it's way to the exit zone...

N9AFxai.jpg

pYjEh5O.jpg

9miMrA4.jpg

iqrSK4j.jpg

piScrIs.jpg

37-38 minutes

My Grilles have used the last of their ammo so I am getting them out of the way, in case of a nasty surprise.

They really are my most important asset esp. as I will be receiving no armour reinforcements in this campaign (unless of course, Fizou takes pity on me!)

Enemy MMG's are still causing casualties but I think the worst is over with.

pEjj5NP.jpg

R2kb2HM.jpg

J3Ys6SU.jpg

mEtOo68.jpg

overall

Hcw6g34.jpg

39-45 minutes End of Game

Apart from my HMG and his MMG's crossing swords, nothing further of consequence occurs.

HMG opens fire from Ridge.

bjAAy3g.jpg

Under mortar fire the keyholed MMG bites back

jB7NGd2.jpg

Receiving fire

lwQhBWL.jpg

We agree to a ceasefire and calculate our losses.

Hex 6,8 Final Result Screen

xytuYZg.jpg

I am happy with the outcome of this battle. I will continue to advance to recapture the 300 Pts Victory Point Location from the Allied airborne troops.

My casualties are well under the 20% mark that would trigger a automatic morale reduction. Also all my heavy weapons are intact especially my uber important Grilles. And I have managed to inflict more casualties on his already heavily depleted and isolated Rangers.

Now looking at the strategic situation.

His armoured forces are fast approaching the river crossing of Maggazola. And my isolated Artilley unit holding the 300Pts Verdura river crossing VPL is about to be overwhelmed by his paras.

It would seem the Axis has two choices.

Either defend the 100Pts river crossing VPL's with my entrenched Italians or retreat them back to help recapture and hold the all important 300Pts & 200Pts VPL's.

If we can hold both these locations until the end of the game, the Axis will win 500-200 Pts.

My Italians have poor morale and no AT weapons to speak of but they could delay the Allied armoured columns advancing for enough time to allow the two main VPL's to be held.

After my teamate has finished his battle at Ribera Hex 15,9, we will have to make our difficult choice!

VEr8LaF.jpg

• 1 month later...

The next round of battles is approaching. This round there are three Allied assaults.

Overall situation Turn 5

i8FX2FF.jpg

Hex 10,8 - The juiciest Victory Point Location (VPL) on the map, worth 300 Pts. We are defending against 2+, very depleted Ranger Companies with a force of 8 x 65mm Italian Field Howitzers (80 men) with a German FO with off map 5 x 150mm Grilles in support. Some of his forces are coming across the bridge from the West, other paratroopers have flanked us and are approaching from the South.

Hex 13,2 - The smallest battle. An isolated Italian battery of 6 x 65mm Field Howitzers (60 men) is attacked by US Glider troops. Like their compatriots in Hex 10,8 they have poor morale and leadership and to boot are 'isolated' so have lower ammo levels.

Hex 18,7 - Probably the toughest battle as we are against US armour in the form of roughly 10 x Stuart tanks as well as infantry attacking from two directions including our side of the river. We have a larger force with 8 x 47mm Italian ATG's as well as ~360 men dug in with plenty of trenches and barbed wire. We also have light mortars,TRP's and MMG's backing up the grunts but again poor morale.

My 2iC's are taking on the the first two battles while I am facing the US armour.

Hex 18,7 Setup

ESpETqP.jpg

View from retreat route - The SW Road

VfPW3Wf.jpg

The Railway Bridge

wm1JsQ6.jpg

View from paratrooper attack direction

OfejBDH.jpg

Deployment coming soon...

13 minutes

overall

FTgWWDJ.jpg

The first of the enemy paratroopers have appeared on my left flank. With the high ground they will effectively cut off my retreat route.

What is worse is that any retreating Italian will no doubt be caught in crossfire between his advancing Armour and flanking paratroopers.

Since most of my troops are poorly led and lack experience or morale, I must expect a massacre!

The good news though is that some casualties have been inflicted on his infantry crossing the bridge.

Poor Bloody Infantry

4tBzB6n.jpg

TRP placed judiciously...

WN33CnY.jpg

Another GI bleeds out on Italian soil

sJLNmut.jpg

Gunners' POV

cPBxV2j.jpg

25-28 minutes cont.

Engineers align themselves along orchard stone walls

hs30PE7.jpg

A Bersaglieri Platoon take up positions on the ridge after retreating from the lowland

efEq7fN.jpg

Mortar Fire takes it's toll on beleaguered ATG

gC77632.jpg

82nd Airborne grunts occupy my abandoned trenches - next to my TRP ;-)

Jx2HnaP.jpg

Stuart scores direct hit on Bersaglieri squad - beyond canister ammo range luckily

iYMs6dj.jpg

25-28 minutes continued.

A partial penetration on his point Stewart- Thank the Gods!

ZVFJ5J2.jpg

Close up - Stuart comes to a abrupt halt and ceases fire

SdA5FZO.jpg

Heavy artillery starts landing near the Church

dWKJMTY.jpg

Another ATG rallies and shoots across the valley

9xPuJmM.jpg

The unfortunate sharpshooter loses his helmet and shuffles off his mortal coil to boot!

Fw8Grb9.jpg