New features/feature ideas for CM for the next few years thread

No worries, mate! Leibniz's Characteristica Universalis of War Gaming forums: Those who apologize for, in this case, their English tend to possess unimpeachable skills in that language. The reverse phenomenon is also well documented. ;)

Quite so. I am always willing to cut some slack to those who have picked up English as a second or third language. To be sure, it is a complex language and not a quick learn. But most of our "foreigners" do quite well by it. On the other hand, the absolutely horrendous mistakes made by those who have presumably heard and read it all their lives are quite inexcusable and are evidence of lazy and sloppy thinking. For my part, I am undecided whether they should be placed in re-educational detention or simply shot.

Michael

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel constantly ashamed that my command of other languages is so poor compared to our non-US and non-Brit brethren here who can write English so well.

Natch, one cannot include any of our special needs Commonwealth types. I can't understand what on earth they are saying most of the time lol.

I feel constantly ashamed that my command of other languages is so poor compared to our non-US and non-Brit brethren here who can write English so well.

Natch, one cannot include any of our special needs Commonwealth types. I can't understand what on earth they are saying most of the time lol.

Probably because we the "foreigners" ("guiris" in spanish) studied formal english. Think I need to learn more "street languaje" cos usually it seems to me I´m just prepared for talking to the queen of England (I feel ridiculous). On another note I will never learn those hundreds of phrasal verbs :mad: It´s not my cup of tea.

I wish we had more control over the placement of units especially in an urban environment.

When houses are smaller than an AS then you often only can be in front or behind the house but not on the side of it. Or similar if you want to be in a small street between two houses but you simply can't.

Being able to choose each and every wall of a structure as a waypoint (like it does with walls now) irrespective of AS would help very much.

Think I need to learn more "street languaje"...

Unless you are looking for a full time hobby, I wouldn't bother. Street language changes so rapidly that staying au courant is, as I say, a full time job. Every generation produces its own slang pretty early on, at least partly to conceal their thoughts from older generations and to confuse the latter. It's a jungle out there.

Michael

Unless you are looking for a full time hobby, I wouldn't bother. Street language changes so rapidly that staying au courant is, as I say, a full time job. Every generation produces its own slang pretty early on, at least partly to conceal their thoughts from older generations and to confuse the latter. It's a jungle out there.

Michael

Ttt ttt ttt ! I beg to differ here, Sir.

When learning a foreign language one will always start with the formal stuff. But I agree with our spanish speaking friend here : if you really want to get some decent fun, you'll have to learn some very informal stuff next :P.

Otherwise, how could you really appreciate, say, HBO's "The Wire" or "Treme" ? Or any kind of US movie with some "street language" in it ?

I'm not saying you should aim for "fluency" in it but at least pick up some words or expressions here and there. BTW there is a fascinating website for that : http://www.urbandictionary.com/. I can spend hours browsing it. A truely fabulous gold mine it is, if you don't shy away from profanity.

See "Bathroom stalemate" for example. Isn't that sweet ? :D

For me, making jokes and cursing in a foreign language is the very best one can hope for !

I'm not saying you should aim for "fluency" in it but at least pick up some words or expressions here and there.

Well...okay. I didn't mean to suggest that one should avoid it entirely. But attempting to speak to someone in street language not your own is one of the surest methods I know of to drop the social atmosphere below freezing. Be forewarned.

Michael

In light of current events I would like to support the proposition that it would be really nice and useful to setup ones troops out of a 'box' onto the field. The units would be sorted in the box by their command structure.

This would really help to speed up the setup.

It would like to add here the option to buy a demolition crew. The crew would be able to blast during setup. Would come quite handy for defenders especially in urban areas.

In light of current events I would like to support the proposition that it would be really nice and useful to setup ones troops out of a 'box' onto the field. The units would be sorted in the box by their command structure.

This would really help to speed up the setup.

Take a number and get in line. :D This has been requested/suggested a number of times now. I have no idea how hard it would be to code or whether BFC is interested, but I definitely think it would be a great idea.

Michael

Take a number and get in line. :D

Yes, I'm quite aware of that.

But we need to repeat those requests by different persons over time to show BFC that the idea has a broad long-term appeal and to convince them that their customers really want it.

I think 'bugging' is the correct English term for that. :D

'Pop smoke' should work like target/target light. Current system is a bit clumsy as you have to re-orient the unit and have no control over the distance you want to throw.

Smoke grenades should also show in the special items tray so you can see which units have them without going in the special menu to see if the button is there.

Last but not least it would be nice if the cursor would somehow indicate that you target beyond the physical range of the weapon (here: smoke grenade). Which would also be useful for small mortars. Currently for example if you target with a Brixa 536m away nothing happens and no feedback.

'Pop smoke' should work like target/target light. Current system is a bit clumsy as you have to re-orient the unit and have no control over the distance you want to throw.

Smoke grenades should also show in the special items tray so you can see which units have them without going in the special menu to see if the button is there.

Last but not least it would be nice if the cursor would somehow indicate that you target beyond the physical range of the weapon (here: smoke grenade). Which would also be useful for small mortars. Currently for example if you target with a Brixa 536m away nothing happens and no feedback.

Seconded. All good improvements. The Smoke grenade point could easily also be applied to vehicles with smoke dischargers. Would have to be distinct from main gun smoke rounds.

Drawing on the map

A virtual canvas a few meters atop the highest point of the map. Toggle on/off with keyboard. Arrow, freehand, text tool, rubber and some colours to choose. Canvas rotates with the map. Save & load canvas with turn.

Terribly useful for making plans (and remembering them) or making AARs.

Clicking on the cardinal directions on that campassoidal thing in the upper right corner sets the view to that direction. Clicking in the middle sets the view perpendicular down.

Useful for taking pics or for an overview. Goes well together with the canvas to align the text. :)

When the camera is inside a building the view should 'lock' to the floor you are in (or: lock the first time you press 'r' or 'f'). Pressing r or f would jump to the next floor up or down.

Reason: inside a house you usually want to look at a floor and not in between floors. The controls are much too imprecise for such short movements. Being able to 'walk' through a floor would be very useful.