Availability date document.

For the CMX1 games, some one created a spreadsheet for each game listing when each vehicle and gun (and perhaps infantry unit) was available by month. I could take a lot of time to research the scenario editor and create a similar document, but I bet something like this already exists among the Battlefront staff and testers. If I'm right, any chance of making it public?

Thanks

For the CMX1 games, some one created a spreadsheet for each game listing when each vehicle and gun (and perhaps infantry unit) was available by month. I could take a lot of time to research the scenario editor and create a similar document, but I bet something like this already exists among the Battlefront staff and testers. If I'm right, any chance of making it public?

Thanks

The unit/equipment encyclopedia in the manual notes the first date available for equipment and vehicles as well as what formations it can be found in.

I was leafing through the manual and noticed two things that stood out to me.

1) According to the Manual, the M10 Wolverine is only available to the British and Polish.

I know the 4th AT Regt RCA was with 5th Cdn Armd Division in Italy from late 1943, so I was wondering why the Wolverine wouldn't be available to Canada as well. I would expect that there would have been some with the I Cdn Corps as well with the 7th AT Regt RCA.

2) Also according to the Manual, Canada has access to the Sherman II, but I don't recall Canada ever using the II. At the same time, Canada doesn't have access to the Sherman III. I'm pretty sure Canada standardized on the Sherman III and V models only.

1) According to the Manual, the M10 Wolverine is only available to the British and Polish.

I know the 4th AT Regt RCA was with 5th Cdn Armd Division in Italy from late 1943, so I was wondering why the Wolverine wouldn't be available to Canada as well. I would expect that there would have been some with the I Cdn Corps as well with the 7th AT Regt RCA.

I made a typo. They do have the Wolverine, beginning Feb 44.

2) Also according to the Manual, Canada has access to the Sherman II, but I don't recall Canada ever using the II. At the same time, Canada doesn't have access to the Sherman III. I'm pretty sure Canada standardized on the Sherman III and V models only.

It's been a very long time since I looked at them, but when I chose the Sherman types for the CW nations I used actual tank strength returns from the various units, which had the Sherman models for each unit organized by type. So hopefully I had a good reason for putting them in there. :D

Thanks for the quick response.

I am more than a little sure that you may have gotten your II and III mixed up, at least with respect to what the Canadians used in Italy. ;)

I have seen pictures of the III being used by the regts of 1st Cdn Armd Bde....never seen a picture of the cast hull II's in a Canadian unit, though.

Thanks for the quick response.

I am more than a little sure that you may have gotten your II and III mixed up, at least with respect to what the Canadians used in Italy. ;)

I have seen pictures of the III being used by the regts of 1st Cdn Armd Bde....never seen a picture of the cast hull II's in a Canadian unit, though.

Looking back through my notes and doing a bit more digging, it appears that I did mess some things up with the Canadian Sherman models.

Here's the changes I will make:

Prior to Feb 44, Canada will have only Sherman V.

Starting Feb 44, Canada will have both the Sherman II and the Sherman V. The Sherman II will have a higher rarity value though, as it looks like there was only enough of them to equip about one regiment.

I don't see any evidence that Canada used the Sherman III in Italy. The AFV strength returns certainly don't reflect it. Maybe they replaced damaged tanks on a case by case basis?

I've gone searching through my sources, because you had me 2nd-guessing for a sec.

Quite obviously, the Sherman V model was overwhelmingly the most commonly used Canadian tank in Italy, and I'm sure your rarity values would reflect that. I know I've read that Canada decided to standardize on a single model in the Mediterranean (though there are instances of other models being used).

Some Canadian Sherman III references can be located in:

Tank Markings & Names p 61 (1st Cdn Armd Bde at Ortona, Dec '43)

Sherman Tank in British Service p 11 (1st Cdn Armd Bde, Italy '43)

National Archives of Canada - PA170948 (1st Cdn Armd Bde, Italy '43)

The Sherman III seems to show up, albeit infrequently, only in the 1st Cdn Armd Bde and not at all in the 5th Cdn Armd Div (possibly as replacement tanks, as you said, or maybe as hand-overs from other armoured regts).

I did also locate a reference to a Canadian Sherman II in AFV News 1/5 and two others I can't find sources for. Funny enough, these only seem to appear in the Gov Gen Horse Guards Regt, which was the Armd Recce Regt for 5th Cdn Armd Div...the 3 regular armoured regts in 5th CAD seem to only have had the Sherman V model.

A spreadsheet listing when each vehicle and gun infantry unit available by month would be a handy addition. Easy to see what can match up with what very quickly.

I will try my shot at one. No promises as to when though so anyone is free to undertake it.

That is a heavy lift Sequoia. It seems like it a spreadsheet listing being available could be good for players and those potential customers sitting on the fence. No question for me BF gives us plenty of tools in the tool box.

Since there seemed to be some interest, I threw together a spreadsheet of unit availabilities for Gustav Line, as noted in the GL manual.

Attached as zip file.

From what I understand, these units are those specifically introduced with the module, so vanilla Fortress Italy units are not included in this list.

Also to note is that the manual didn't specify any "End Dates" for formation availability, so as such, all formations are assumed to be available from the specified introduction month to the end of the "war", May 1944.

American units:

unitavail1of3.jpg

German units:

unitavail2of3.jpg

Commonwealth units:

unitavail3of3.jpg

Sequoia, if you're planning on tackling an availability spread for Fortress Italy proper, I could lend a hand.

Will also post to repository, and update a link here when available.

Mike.

CMGL Unit Availabilities.zip