British voices

You could probably use at least some of the sound files from CMSF, but you'd need to reassign them as I don't think the fire structure matches up exactly.

As a side note (And this may or may not matter to you) I don't think many modern UK dialects would be very accurate to hear in CMBN. Scouse is a good example. As I understand it, Scouse as it's heard today really started to develop post-1950 -- the dialect apparently underwent significant changes as populations shifted urban to suburban post-war. Prior to this, the local dialect was more of a Lancashire-Irish mix.

Same is true of the American voice files, btw. For example, there is no classic Lower Class Brooklyn dialect in CMBN (think Bugs Bunny), yet this would have been a very common dialect to hear on the ETO battlefield. And some of the American voices you do hear in CMBN have dialect color I'm pretty sure didn't exist in the 1940s.

Yankee...I'm from Liverpool...you are correct in away it was a softer accent years ago and abit more Lancashire sounding but you wouldn't here any Irish to be honest..but in the working class areas it's always been quite thick. The accent in CMSF isn't as thick as the accent can be these days and would fit just.The accent getting thicker is actually a modern thing and has happened over the last ten to twenty years esp in working class areas it's trendy to speak with as thick an accent as possible..

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

One of my idle dreams is to work up an authentic 1940s dialect voice mod for CMBN/FI, for the Americans at least. It would sound pretty different from what you hear in the game right now. I imagine the same would be true for the other nationalities.

Being a sometime theater producer & director (more a hobby than a money-making thing), I have more than passing knowledge myself as to historical dialects, and I know some people who really know their stuff in this area and are quite facile with dialects.

I'd love to do the other nationalities as well, but I'd need some help from Brits, Germans et al for that.

But it's not something I'm likely to get to anytime soon. Maybe if CM is still around once I'm retired... *sigh*

LukeFF, classic!!

:D

My favorite moment when that sound file was played comes from CMSF: I had practically an entire Marine Corps rifle platoon open up on a Syrian rifle squad with everything they had. Right as the fire started to die down, that particular sound file about noise discipline played. It was classic. :D

One of my idle dreams is to work up an authentic 1940s dialect voice mod for CMBN/FI, for the Americans at least. It would sound pretty different from what you hear in the game right now.

"Get that BAR over here and give 'em the business!"

"They're shootin' 88's and all that jazz, we better scram!"

"Them woods is lousy with Krauts!"

"Send Brooklyn out there. He can't get hit, he owes me too much dough!"

Wodin you can use the same sound files from CMSF. I am using a voice mod mix 50% Mord, and 50% other voices from stock, or other voice mods that I made for CMSF. I liked Mords, but wanted more different voices too. I use the same one for CMBN with no problems.

As a side note I always thought it would be cool for someone to make a voice mod mix from movie lines. There would be much to draw from from John Wayne movies to the present like Saving Pvt. Ryan, B.o.B. ect...

"Get that BAR over here and give 'em the business!"

"They're shootin' 88's and all that jazz, we better scram!"

"Them woods is lousy with Krauts!"

"Send Brooklyn out there. He can't get hit, he owes me too much dough!"

Heh. Good ones. To really capture how front-line soldiers spoke in combat, I'd probably toss in a couple of 4-letter words here and there, but otherwise these are definitely good candidates for a "1940s dialect mod." :D

It's harder than you'd think to determine how people *actually* talked in informal situations before about 1970 or so because while there is plenty of audio source material in the form of movies, newsreels, radio interviews, etc., people definitely tended to change their speech pattern to a more "correct" way of speaking and censor themselves when they knew they were being recorded. Still true today actually, just not to the same extent as it used to be.

Gold standard for historical dialect research is audio recordings of people speaking casually when they don't know they're being recorded. Hard to find, but there are some samples if you know where to look.

Does anybody know how many lines there are for each country? If so, what are those lines?

I only did it for Americans. In my voice folder there are 37 folders that are general categories of condition such as when spotting heavy vehicles, taking a casualty ect…. In each folder may be a few to around 10 different possible lines they will say in that situation that are numbered. That is about 370 possible lines atleast that I have in the collection for USA. I’m not sure how it works, or if they say ALL those lines though as I do not recall hearing all of them. One in particular I know I have never heard as it stood out when I was going through them is when taking a surrender “War’s over for you Mac!” (There’s some 40’s talk for you.) That may be since it is a more rare event.

I only did it for Americans. In my voice folder there are 37 folders that are general categories of condition such as when spotting heavy vehicles, taking a casualty ect…. In each folder may be a few to around 10 different possible lines they will say in that situation that are numbered. That is about 370 possible lines atleast that I have in the collection for USA. I’m not sure how it works, or if they say ALL those lines though as I do not recall hearing all of them. One in particular I know I have never heard as it stood out when I was going through them is when taking a surrender “War’s over for you Mac!” (There’s some 40’s talk for you.) That may be since it is a more rare event.

cheers Vinnart