Variable game ending, how variable?

Planning a H2H assault, and to make it challenging I don't want to give the attacker too much time.

How variable is the variable ending? I just had one game (PBEM) that we gave up after the game went to +17 minutes overtime and still going (ended by CF). Is this about normal?

I am sure you mean -17 minutes : ) . [ I hate countdown]

In scenarios design it seems a variable time can be set 0-5,0-10, 0-15 but how this translates to your - 17 minutes I am not sure! Very early on I played an interminable game that went on and on but I suspect we also kept hitting the ceasefire button as nothing seemed to happen.

I don't see a QB setting for variable or not, so I assume (from this one experience) all QBs have variable endings. I just wonder, 30min seems a tad short for an assault, but if there were the likelihood of 5-10 min of variable time, that would probably make it just challenging enough. 45min just seems too easy for the attacker.

Well I am now on minus 21 minutes in a 30 minute battle so shortly this battle will cancel its time out : )

It maybe that having a unit on a VP area means the Game Engine decides whether I have sufficient forces to dislodge the opponent. In fact until turn 16 I had a VP area for each side and moved one side off on turn minus17 to see if that would trigger an ending.

So QB's appear to be a dangerous area for length of game.

I am sure you mean -17 minutes : ) . [ I hate countdown]

In scenarios design it seems a variable time can be set 0-5,0-10, 0-15 but how this translates to your - 17 minutes I am not sure! Very early on I played an interminable game that went on and on but I suspect we also kept hitting the ceasefire button as nothing seemed to happen.

You realize there is a clock in the compass that has it the way you prefer? BF actually provides us both methods but it seems most people over look that.

sburke - Brilliant thanks for that. Though working backwards in seconds still hurts when logging events.

LOL It occurred to me in the midst of the discussion about trying to sync Bil and GaJ's AAR posts that no one suggested they just include the compass time in their updates and it dawned on me that maybe they just hadn't noticed it.

I assume you're talking Quickbattles? I've seen QBs just go on and on. 20 minutes and more. I've assumed this is a 'legacy' feature from good-old CMSF which had a rigid (short) QB time limit but got around it by having extremely generous variable time parameters. If the AI thinks the battle's still going it'll keep going too, most often. Proper scenarios the designer chooses variable time length up to (only) 15 min.

Freyberg,

This was for CMBN, Barkmann's Corner, but my half hour went 38 minutes (-8, a very long time when barely hanging on), before I asked for a Cease Fire. This saved the few shreds left of my nerves. I think there's not really a hard limit if the Strat AI (?) sees the VL situation as unresolved.

Regards,

John Kettler