Wittman's battle at Villers-bocage

This exceptional site: http://www.strijdbewijs.nl with a lot of ww2 information has the best, and most detailed, report (and pictures and maps)on the battle at Villers-Bocage, I have ever seen.

To get to Normandy-battles scroll down 1st page until red and blue textlines.

Other interesting subject: D-Day, Market Garden, Hurtgenwald en much, much, more.

Really, take a look, people. Though it is a Dutch site, clicking on the Union Jack shows English version.

This exceptional site: http://www.strijdbewijs.nl with a lot of ww2 information has the best, and most detailed, report (and pictures and maps)on the battle at Villers-Bocage, I have ever seen.

To get to Normandy-battles scroll down 1st page until red and blue textlines.

Other interesting subject: D-Day, Market Garden, Hurtgenwald en much, much, more.

Really, take a look, people. Though it is a Dutch site, clicking on the Union Jack shows English version.

Thank you for posting this.

Great site. I was impressed with the PSP chairs.

And just for fun:

During World War II, the United States manufactured a quantity of landing mats capable of building a roadway around the world’s equator. Some 2 million tons of landing mat totaling $200 million accounted for enough steel to build 650 10,000-ton cargo ships.

Calumet Industries apparently still has wartime stock of PSP!

This was a CMBO scenario, and I tried it multiple times from the German side. I never achieved anything approaching Wittman's kill count, as Wittman's (my) Tiger always got swept away by the flood of arriving Brit tanks.

What annoyed me most about the scenario was that some of the arriving Brit reinforcements seemed to materialize in positions they could not have reached without passing through terrain which was always in view of German forces. It felt like Star Trek's Scottie had beamed them down to their initial positions.

I posted a few complaints about this, but nobody took me seriously.

Seedorf81,

Amazing find! Grog juiciness beyond words! Thank goodness the site has a translation to English feature.

Regards,

John Kettler

Yeah, and more amazing is the fact that it's just one guy who provides us with all this, sometime very rare, information!

He is, I think, referring to Seedorf81's link and you, I suspect, are trying to find a translation for xellos' link - which doesn't seem to have a translation option :(

To do that,You can try Google's translate Tool.

These web sites are also very useful:

About 101's Tigers photos(which came from the same person who wrote the VB battles):

http://www.retrospicere.narod.ru/2-liberation1944-45/liberation1944-45_001-01.htm

About VB battle itself:

http://www.tiif.de/thread.php?threadid=496&sid=aa01afffad655edfb00f55d702e18a89

About Wittmann's tiger 212 in detail:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207/thread/1160406956/Wittmann%27s+Tiger+212%27s+First+Discoverer+is----

The auther of the VB battles came from Russia,he had taken part in countless discussions about VB on many web sites during the last few years(on missing-lynx,Tiger Im Focus, tank's xxx etc.).To me,his information(with a lot of photos evidence as well) is very very useful.

I rememberd there was a scenario called 44_06_13_Hill_213.cmg which had been created for CMAK by Desertfox(?),it's map and OOB are the most accurate ones I 've ever seen.

I wish someone would use CMBN to recreate VB battles with lots of details one day:)

dieseltaylor,

If you mean the Dutch site, then you want the British flag just below the cool thumbnails of the topics covered. The translation's generally good, but there are confusing rough patches in places. Or, you could just go here, Unfortunately, this covers only Normandy, not all the grog goodies on the Dutch language side of the house. Hope he keeps translating!

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/normandie1/home.htm

The first link xellos so kindly provided shows pics of Tiger 1s of sPzAbt 101 peculiar to certain commanders. Wish the note weren't in frame! The info looks wonderful, but my Russian's minuscule--if that! The other two may force many of us to go back to grog school. Road gradient and track gouge analysis, Zimmerit chip analyses, ding analyses, camo pattern variances and crew member IDs, and meticulous analysis of everything else. This stuff makes real world BDA (Battle Damage Assessment) seem trivial. Bravo, xellos!

Anyone wanting the skinny on Zimmerit should repair to the Zimmerit Wiki! Armed with the recipe, you can make your own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit

Regards,

John Kettler

dieseltaylor,

If you mean the Dutch site, then you want the British flag just below the cool thumbnails of the topics covered. The translation's generally good, but there are confusing rough patches in places. Or, you could just go here, Unfortunately, this covers only Normandy, not all the grog goodies on the Dutch language side of the house. Hope he keeps translating!

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/normandie1/home.htm

The first link xellos so kindly provided shows pics of Tiger 1s of sPzAbt 101 peculiar to certain commanders. Wish the note weren't in frame! The info looks wonderful, but my Russian's minuscule--if that!

Regards,

John Kettler

I remembered when I first found this site ,I just used Google Translate Tool to translate them into English.

You can try it ,that will be helpful a lot.

The site includes all the 101's tigers in detail,even the battle lost during VB and after that battle,all the tank commander's name ,monthly tank deliverd data and more.:)

• 2 weeks later...
wrong thread...

Yes definitely wrong scenario - CM1Fan we're discussing a CMx2 CMBN scenario about Wittmans death.

Gee, I didn't know that mentioning earlier experience with a CMBO scenario involving the identical situation was out of bounds. Please tell me the rules for distinguishing unacceptable posts from acceptable ones. I'd hate to make this mistake again.

I don't believe the battle of VB can be satisfactorily recreated in a CM format. First of all, it can't simulate Wittmann's amazing luck. There were other events that can't be reproduced, for example Wittmann's tank pushing a Stuart out of the way during a key moment in the battle. Or, when his Tiger was disabled by a 6lb gun and he and his crew were able to jump into another vehicle- a current impossibility in CM..

You can however dismount the British tank crews which, if I remmber you could not do in the original CBO. We can also find other ways to hobble the British in the village,

Having said that the later armoured engagement outside the town might well be a better game. There might be possibilities around combining the two in a campaign game played from the German perspective and there could also be possibilities of an Operation Perch campaign played from the British side and assuning that the 7th Armoured Division had not been caught by surprise in Villers Bocage.