Still a great game for a quick WW2 blast

I am currently playing a 12th SS against the Canadians campaign against a friend (http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=5). We're both mature students, so there's no extra money for new computers to run the newer Combat Missions. Despite the graphics, CMAK continues to be an incredibly playable game. This campaign in particular is simply excellent, although the scale (about an infantry regiment, several dozen tanks, etc) can be a little overwhelming at times. I haven't really seen much in the new game that uses such a large scale.

I still enjoy CMBB too, but I'll hopefully have enough scrilla to buy a new computer sometime within the next few months and step into the future.

I still enjoy CM1 for different reasons than CM2. They are really quite different game systems that share a similar name for promotional/marketing reasons.

CM2 is much more detailed than CM1, more like a simulation and significantly more work to play well. For those reasons and computer power, you rarely see large CM2 scenarios and nothing like the huge CM1 scenarios.

CM1 is more of a game and is more fun for a quick session.

I still enjoy CM1 for different reasons than CM2. They are really quite different game systems that share a similar name for promotional/marketing reasons.

CM2 is much more detailed than CM1, more like a simulation and significantly more work to play well. For those reasons and computer power, you rarely see large CM2 scenarios and nothing like the huge CM1 scenarios.

CM1 is more of a game and is more fun for a quick session.

Same thoughts here. I find it much easier to play a CM1 game, being simpler it's much less work (I'll admit I do need to get more familiar with CM2 though). Larger engagements. Massive scope. ROCQ's campaign system. Adds up to still be enjoyable. I've got CMBO, CMBB, CMAK and a CMAK modded to the ETO installed and they've been on every PC I've had for the last, what is it, 12 years I think.

Makes it easier to wait for the new CM2 titles too. God I wish they'd do even a cursory strategic layer though. The random map generator is also something I really miss from CM1.

But as you say they're different enough beasts that I think they'll exist side by side on my PC for a long while, so it's all good.

-F

Does the random map generator still work with the ETO mod - and is it an easy mod to install? I have a poor track record of installing mods (and patches) - if it's possible to install/unzip into the wrong directory I'll do it.

In fact the only really successful mod I installed for a game was the Hellenic war mod for Medieval Total War - the first version - and so that must be ? 2005.

"I wish they'd do even a cursory strategic layer though."

+1 to that...

Altipueri: IN CM1 the mods are the actual bmp's and they replace whatever bmp's you have in your BMP folder. If you haven't saved the default bmp's they are lost.

In CM2 it's safer... All the mods go in a folder you create in the DATA folder and call "Z". They are loaded last and therefore show up in the game in ALL scenarios however created. You can also then remove those mods easily and replace with other mods, or let the game go back to default graphics.

Same thoughts here. I find it much easier to play a CM1 game, being simpler it's much less work (I'll admit I do need to get more familiar with CM2 though). Larger engagements. Massive scope. ROCQ's campaign system. Adds up to still be enjoyable. I've got CMBO, CMBB, CMAK and a CMAK modded to the ETO installed and they've been on every PC I've had for the last, what is it, 12 years I think.

Makes it easier to wait for the new CM2 titles too. God I wish they'd do even a cursory strategic layer though. The random map generator is also something I really miss from CM1.

But as you say they're different enough beasts that I think they'll exist side by side on my PC for a long while, so it's all good.

-F

Great post and I agree.

"I wish they'd do even a cursory strategic layer though."

+1 to that...

In the recent past I umpired a strategic level game where the battles were decided by CMBB. The same is quite doable for CMAK. It was rather fun. The biggest issue was that the battles tended to be lopsided, with great concentrations of force on thin defenses, and it mattered not much whether the attacker won, but how the time and his losses were. Gives rather a different slant on the game.

• 4 weeks later...
chudacabra,

May I suggest you and your friend play Tiger Valley? It really shows CMAK in full cry and will test both of you to the uttermost. And it's only one scenario!

http://www.the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_details.html?command=search&db=scenarios.db&eqskudatarq=7

Regards,

John Kettler

I will keep this in mind.

All told, I believe "Blut Und Ehre" will take about 6 months to complete with approximately weekly LAN sessions. At least it has allowed ample opportunity to get through my Kids in the Hall DVD boxset and consume the fruits of my local brewery. It is quite fun to move battalion level units in CM, but sometimes becomes a bit tedious. My friend described the operation as not so much a meat grinder, but more of a meat fan constantly chopping units of both sides to pieces.