Operation Silver - Clearance of Sangin DC

Ok guys - having finally put the Op GLACIER series to bed I can now devote my full attention to my next CMSF project.

Yet again it is set in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. This project will depict Operation SILVER which was the operation towards the end of 3 Commando Brigade's tour of Afghanistan in 2006-2007 aimed at clearing the insurgents out of Sangin District Centre.

On current planning I aim to depict as many elements as possible, this will therefore require the NATO module so that I can get the Canadians in. The options are:

Yes please I want the Canadians.

No thanks I'll live without them.

By sacrificing the Canadians I can just swap out the artillery for US 155mm and paradoxically stay close to actual events. However if I keep the Canadians I can stretch reality and include a troop of Leopard tanks which were available for the Operation but not called into action.

What do you think?

I appreciate the"stay close to actual events" ... allows more folks without NATO to play ... but am intrigued with the Canadians option of .... "depict as many elements as possible.. NATO module ...get the Canadians in... & a troop of Leopard tanks!"

Maybe both options:)

Gents, thanks for your comments so far. The sticking rigidly to events issue is less important to me than the number of players who will be able to download and play the campaign. While all of my Helmand missions are based on reality, none of them can be described as totally accurate due to:

1. Not knowing the enemy strength.

2. Having to beef up the enemy in order to make a decent challenge.

Of the missions I have released I reckon only the Habibollah Kalay one is closest to reality followed closely by the Op GLACIER 2 mission due to the limitations described above. All of that said, my design philosophy has always been to get the maps right and the Blue forces as close to being right as is possible. I then combine that with the desire to give you guys a feel for the operating environment out there at that time. If I get those right (and I think I have) then I am happy.

Overall then, the inclusion of the Canadians as part of this campaign will not conflict with my design philosophy above because they were available and in fact their 155mm artillery were used extensively in support of the 82nd Airborne Division and 42 Commando Royal Marines in the approach to Sangin during this operation.

As stated before, there was a troop of tanks allocated as a reserve for the whole operation and my plan therefore is to include this in one of the missions along with a platoon of infantry mounted on LAVs. This is presupposing that I get more positive votes for the inclusion of the Canadians.

@ combatintman,

Personally, I don’t mind if you use the Canadians and their tanks. But if you do so and keep your scenario close to reality, knowing that they were not called in action, you will have to modify it to insure that the Canadians and their tanks will have a consequent role in it.

To have the Leopards around will be interesting especially if you have some dirty IED around. I don’t think that the Taliban’s will let them ride freely on the roads

Cheer

Ok fellas - I'm off the internet again for a couple of weeks so no updates for a bit. I suspect there won't be a huge amount of progress either for a bit. Luckily, thanks to Battlefront I have managed to install CMSF and get it to run which was looking decidedly dodgy from the perspective of first thing this morning!!!

The one with the tanks is the 'what if'. Due to the work involved it will be either one or the other I'm afraid.

OK do the one with the tanks first then and the historical version later when/if you have the time. You will still have the map and forces but you might still need to redesign the AI PLANS. I don't mind if the Taliban are not human playable.