Day of Defeat Sound Mod [WIP]

To go along with requiring a system rebuild, my computer monitor also decided to pack up and die after working perfectly for 7 years. A 12 gauge, .50 cal, and .44 mag with some tannerite and gasoline is planned for the funeral.

So for now, the main computer is offline, and I can't get any work done on my crappy old laptop.

I will be able to post an updated version of the mod from my backup storage that will contain the music added in.

Anyway, mod progress is suspended until I can buy a new monitor.

The easiest way to spread a beta mod would be to put in the public folder of dropbox. You can create a link from that which you could post here. Not for eternity but good for a public beta.

Btw you could use your laptop as monitor for your PC. 'Remote Desktop' is the easiest path and works on everything >=XP.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a new preview for anyone still undecided about the mod.

http://youtu.be/S5L4ykGy2nc

I will be switching out the BAR sound after realizing how annoying the 'brass tinkling' sound effect is. I'll be swapping in a new Thompson sound as well. As far as I can tell, all of the German weapons sound great. I'll need to do a rundown of the Commonwealth weapons, and I've started organizing all of the voice cues.

Great sounds. Also, great tutorial for that mission. Was amazed at how few US casualties there were.

Questions:

I assume this was WEGO...

What skill level?

When you order support fire, do you use TARGET or TARGET LIGHT (for more "aimed fire")?

Great sounds. Also, great tutorial for that mission. Was amazed at how few US casualties there were.

As stated in the AAR that is in the video description, I used up about 70% of my ammo in 16 minutes. Normally that's not such a good idea, but it keeps casualties low when there is nothing but open terrain, and enemy positions are so easily targeted.

Questions:

I assume this was WEGO...

What skill level?

When you order support fire, do you use TARGET or TARGET LIGHT (for more "aimed fire")?

WEGO on Warrior difficulty.

Any time I am suppressing a machinegun, I use the [Target] command.

The only time I ever use [Target Light] is if the target is at a longer range than effective for the weapon, or if ammo is low.

I'm glad you enjoyed the video, I will be making more of them to provide a walkthrough, tips on tactics, and to showcase the mod, and any other mods I think are above the average.

I plan to do parts of The Road to Montebourg, Kampfgruppe Engel, and The Scottish Corridor

It was a while ago, but I played and won this scenario (and IIRC the whole campaign) using WEGO Warrior. But, I was very impressed that you managed with so few casualties.

However, I tend to use TARGET LIGHT most of the time as I read in the manual that that is aimed fire. I got the impression that TARGET at longer ranges would be very inaccurate, and hence not so good for suppression at distance.

It was a while ago, but I played and won this scenario (and IIRC the whole campaign) using WEGO Warrior. But, I was very impressed that you managed with so few casualties.

However, I tend to use TARGET LIGHT most of the time as I read in the manual that that is aimed fire. I got the impression that TARGET at longer ranges would be very inaccurate, and hence not so good for suppression at distance.

I didn't know that. Nearly never used TARGET LIGHT, but from now on I will and see if I can notice the fore-mentioned difference.

Thanks for this info.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
I didn't know that. Nearly never used TARGET LIGHT, but from now on I will and see if I can notice the fore-mentioned difference.

Thanks for this info.

Rifle grenadiers/zooks/schrecks will shoot off their rifle grenades/rockets even at long ranges using Target, but won't if under a Target Light order.