12th SS campaign

Excellent looking work.

I find CM2 much more rewarding on large/huge maps and so I take my hat off to you mapmakers especially when you're creating these. And when they're based on reality, it is even better since there's no "scenario-agenda".

Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little sad that I couldn't stick to my usual "keep the roads straight" maxim, especially with the railway, but the scene just didn't allow that.

No sweat. The compromise I make on my historical maps is to orient the map so the main highway(s) can be straight, but then all the other roads can curve as needed. Also, I find that for country lanes, etc., plain dirt or gravel tiles actually look better and blend better than road tiles sometimes because they don't have that hard edge.

It worked really well on the other map, which is up at the repository BTW.

I just had to stretch and straighten things here and there but actually managed to keep dimensions mostly correct.

With it's usually acceptable to make a few zigs along there line for me, but for railways I just can't stand those 45° turns normally.

I also rate looks higher than thruthfullnes to reality and scale or, as in your case, being able to match the edges of many different maps, so that's why I try to avoid zig-zags.

• 3 months later...
*possible spoiler*

Baron

Played your Buron scenario as Germans and enjoyed it. Your love of artillery is apparent.

I didn't play it historically as set up - I moved the German trenches and placements into Buron rather than on the outskirts and that was much more survivable for the landser I suspect.

The point I wanted to ask you about - the flak guns behind the flanking hedge are set up outside the set up area and so can't be moved (which I assume was deliberate and I don't have an issue with). My problem was that they could not get LOS / LOF from behind the boacage on any of the Canadian assault force as set up - maybe a similar problem to Marders behind bocage. They were however fully visible to the Canadians and got pounded to bits by direct and indirect fire without being able to return fire.

I think infantry must stand in trenches, this can stop British tanks a little.

Yes, better to change position of Flak guns, but I try to all be closer to history, and I don't know about Marders in bocages, I just place them in bocages because I use after battle plan which show tanks in bocages.