CMSF in Cavalry & Armor Journal

There is an article about using CMSF at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff School in the latest issue of The Cavalry & Armor Journal (November - December 2012). Sections of the article include “Appreciation for the effects of terrain,” “Appreciation for time & space relationships,” “Understanding battlefield geometry,” “Awareness of sustainment constraints,” and “ Tangible examples of unit advantages and disadvantages.” A couple color screen shots are also printed with the article.

Unfortunately, this latest issue is not yet available online (or at least I have not yet been able to find it), so I cannot include a link.

Mark

There is an article about using CMSF at the U.S. Army Command and General Staff School in the latest issue of The Cavalry & Armor Journal (November - December 2012). Sections of the article include “Appreciation for the effects of terrain,” “Appreciation for time & space relationships,” “Understanding battlefield geometry,” “Awareness of sustainment constraints,” and “ Tangible examples of unit advantages and disadvantages.” A couple color screen shots are also printed with the article.

Unfortunately, this latest issue is not yet available online (or at least I have not yet been able to find it), so I cannot include a link.

Mark

Here it is: http://www.benning.army.mil/Armor/ArmorMagazine/content/Issues/2012/NOVDEC12ARMOR_WEB.pdf#page=30

Thank you both.

We are not reinventing the wheel. The U.S. Army has long used simulations for training purposes. However, most COTS simulations have been overlooked, and CMSF provides an inexpensive, easy-to-learn method of teaching basic tactical fundamentals. It has filled a gap in stu-dent experience of basic combat opera-tions, permitting faculty and students to progress resolutely to higher levels of tactical operations with a strong visual-ization of what their units can and cannot do.

This throws back to a discussion on the forum from months ago. I'm very excited that someone with some purchasing power is using a commercial off the shelf alternative to VBS2. I hope the Army continues using it at other schools and units. This could be the start of a great relationship between the Army and Battlefront.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, great read and thanks for sharing.

Second, the folks I know who do this for a living are fighting mightily to get the armed forces to accept "civilian" applications like this one as affordable, accessible replacements for their homegrown monster programs. Last I had heard was that the fight was nigh-lost. Very glad to hear of this.

There's an old wives' tale...or maybe it's true...that some of the first fighter jets we supplied to the Israeli Air Force had to be stripped of all their gadgets, whoo-dads, and geegaws because their pilots found that they interefered with, well, flying and fighting. I've used -- one does not say played -- Decisive Action and respect mightily what it's on about, but I wonder how much worse the signal-to-noise ratio gets with things like the VBS2.

Like I say, fascinating...

Best,

Jim

"Cyrano"

:/7)

• 4 weeks later...

Read the article after the announcement. Very interesting. Any one know if they play realtime or turn based? Also it sounds as if they play player vs player rather than vs the AI. Am I right?

Also I seem to recall the Canadian Army using it in some form or other as well. Any one else remember that?

I have found that article very interesting. It points out what use can be done with such a simulation as well as it gives its limit.

That simulation is a perfect learning tool, it allows someone to get accustomed to a good tactical unit integration and to develop a good situation awareness, that will allow him to apply the right tactical decision. That takes in account the different operational uses of the units and materials, integrating their ammo load, their mobility and firing aptitudes in defense and or offense within a specific fighting ground.

That's why I enjoy so much CMSF.

Thanks BF for having done it and I am much eager to play CMSF2 when it will come out