Moving artillery pieces

I was wondering if there was a way to move the leIG 18 (75mm) German infantry gun. I can use the move command, but it is very slow. The other movement commands are greyed out. They are there, implying that they can be used somehow. I wonder if you can use a truck of some sort.

Thanks,

Fed

Deploying and packing up takes time and pushing a field gun across the map takes about as much effort as you'd imagine it would. But limbering the gun and 'mounting' onto a truck will allow you to scoot it around a map nicely. If you're finding guns awkward and dangerous to maneuver during a battle that's only because they were. :)

Fed, there's only one movement rate "MOVE" and it is slow, but still seems about right. augusto is correct about loading/unloading to/from a truck.

Deploying and packing up takes time and pushing a field gun across the map takes about as much effort as you'd imagine it would. But limbering the gun and 'mounting' onto a truck will allow you to scoot it around a map nicely. If you're finding guns awkward and dangerous to maneuver during a battle that's only because they were. :)

Gun crews in the game always turn around the guns before moving, instead of immediately moving them backward.

At least we would need the reverse command available for guns, too.

But in combination with the ridiculous slow movement, even on streets and from the first meters on, in CM this is still not possible.

With the bad protection from trenches, the inability to use guns heavily dug in, the outcome of the CM gun model IMO has not much in common with reality.

But also the ROF for the german PAKs seems way too low (4 seconds for the PAK 40 with a trained crew).

Wikipedia says 14 rounds per minute so I suspect in game it is slower - significantly. BTW you have to be very careful on RoF as technically I think the Sherman 75mm could do 20 or more. The problem is taking what a gun is physically capable of its not the same as when the gun is installed and a practical ROF figure is required.

I would think a Pak40 might possibly be close to a real-life 14.

One of the problems in CMx1 was that various Sherman models all fired at the same rate making 76mm and Fireflies more potent than in RL.