Holding Fire

:cool:Click on TARGET ARC then when TARGET ARC is highlighted hold down the SHIFT key this puts a highlighted circle around the unit (your scouts) you gave the Target Arc order too. Now move your mouse near your unit and watch as the highlited area gets smaller and bigger then left click your mouse and the arc is set at the size you want. Your scouts will only fire at stuff at this range. A dangerous but effective way to enable your scouts to spot and not fire at stuff hopefully they will not be seen. Crawl up to the hedge row to optimize not being seen.

In summary:

Click on TARGET ARC when it's highlighted

Hold Down SHIFT key

Left mouse click.

Note that cover arcs can be set at any waypoint to apply for any subsequent movement legs (or terminal halts) until overridden by another combat order. So you can have your scout with a cover arc to return fire if shot at while crossing open terrain, but when they get to "crawl range" of the last cover before potential enemy, you can give them a short arc that will only shoot at rude people that try to surprise them when they're snuggling into their hedgerow OP.

O, don't forget to undo the Coverarc when you need to.

I played "band of brothers" scenario and positioned my teams silent and beautiful. When I started the attack I - allready victorious in my mind -forgot to undo the very short coverarc for the mgteams. And so they didn't suppress the enemy on the other side of the field. Guess what happened..

Somebody nearly destroyed a keyboard.

• 4 weeks later...

Came looking for a solution to the same issue - 'my kingdom for a hold-fire ability'

The set arcs is the only way I know and I have always found it clunky - lots of units to have to click through and set.

I remember the John Tiller Campaign games where you could set global options like attack distance (short medium or long) for each basic type of unit (inf, arm, soft vehicle)

Would be a great addition to have something more substantial than set fire arcs

Ade

Came looking for a solution to the same issue - 'my kingdom for a hold-fire ability'

The set arcs is the only way I know and I have always found it clunky - lots of units to have to click through and set.

I remember the John Tiller Campaign games where you could set global options like attack distance (short medium or long) for each basic type of unit (inf, arm, soft vehicle)

Would be a great addition to have something more substantial than set fire arcs

Ade

You can always double-click on an HQ to select a whole unit, and then set a Cover Arc for all of them at once. They'll all get the same arc.

Mjkerner,

Hey, that works nicely, cuts down on time for sure, never tried that before!!

for me, in many of the meeting engagements, I want to control when the shooting starts - but I suppose that level of micromangement depends upon how you play the game - basic global settings - as Wodin suggests - would still be my preferred option

Thanks for the heads up - will use your suggestion for now !!

Ade