Light Rain and more intuitive spotting

I made a simple, small scenario wherein six Tiger Tanks and some support attack a British army infantry company which has 4 57mm AT guns (in June so only 2 APDS per gun) and some PIATs and some demolition charges. The company is hastily entrenched (sandbags and hedgehogs only) in a village in the bocage. So tanks spotting infantry and AT guns is going to be crucial.

I made the weather light rain and this seems to have had the result that Tigers cannot spot infantry or AT guns in any kind of cover.

The results went fairly historically I thought: one Tiger immobilized and then blown up by demolition, two immobilized and abandoned and three support Halftacks knocked out before the AI germans withdrew. The British company had 34 killed mostly by the one Tiger that penetrated the village and was ultimately blown up.

Aren't the gun sights recessed an inch or two into the mantlet?

Michael

They are, for that reason and others. The bigger problem when you're talking rain is having them fog up though. In my experience*.

*With vehicular optics in general, not German tank sights specifically.

Hmm. Now you mention it, I'd expect any kind of precipitation to differentially affect tanks and other enclosed AFVs (especially when buttoned up); I can't recall even seeing wipers on most vision blocks, and how you'd knock the drops off a tank gun sight, I'm not sure.

I was thinking the light rain would give infantry some advantages and work better than say, making the tank crews conscripts for example.

The Tiger that got into the village and was immobilized was not abandoned by its crew and inflicted most of the losses that the defenders suffered before it was blown up by a demolition charge.

I was thinking the light rain would give infantry some advantages and work better than say, making the tank crews conscripts for example.

Yeah. It was good thinking that hadn't occurred to me before. I only wonder whether it actually does give advantages, or whether the disadvantages applied to both sides merely change a tipping point somewhere. Not that it matters, in isolation.

Vanir Ausf B,

It should reduce maximum range, quality of spotting and acoustic signature. The first two are straightforward, but various combat accounts talk over and over about the muffling, sound distorting effects of fog. Here's a great movie clip of a ZIS-3 confronting tanks and infantry appearing out of the fog and really close.

Having been out in cold winter fog and rain myself in an M48A5 Hughes borrowed from the Guard for seeker tests, I can tell you it's hard to see anything--even with the AN/TAS-4 TOW FLIR looking for me in our borrowed tank going the other way! "Where are you? We can't see you" were the laments over the handheld radio. Sample size of one, granted, but it does give a little ground truth to the various military accounts.

Regards,

John Kettler

Vanir Ausf B,

It should reduce maximum range, quality of spotting and acoustic signature. The first two are straightforward, but various combat accounts talk over and over about the muffling, sound distorting effects of fog. Here's a great movie clip of a ZIS-3 confronting tanks and infantry appearing out of the fog and really close.

Having been out in cold winter fog and rain myself in an M48A5 Hughes borrowed from the Guard for seeker tests, I can tell you it's hard to see anything--even with the AN/TAS-4 TOW FLIR looking for me in our borrowed tank going the other way! "Where are you? We can't see you" were the laments over the handheld radio. Sample size of one, granted, but it does give a little ground truth to the various military accounts.

Regards,

John Kettler

Great clip John. Didn't expect the ending.

Anyone know what movie that clip is from? There's a lot of people asking this in the comments but I don't see any answers.

According to the comments, its "Burnt by the Sun 2 - Exodus"* by Nikita Mikhalkov. I googled for a trailer to confirm this and found this one:

Between 1:35 and 1:44 you see 3 scenes that could be from the movie Kettler posted.

But better double check before you buy a DVD, i dont guarantee for this info beeing correct.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnt_by_the_Sun_2

EDIT: I just took a closer look at Kettlers clip and the trailer i found. Its definately "Burnt by the Sun 2".