2.0?

Scipio

Not necessarily. Steve made that vague, mysterious comment about wanting to do something for the CMSF lovers...whatever that means. He hasn't brought it up since but you never know.

BELIEVE me when I say this was a huge disappointment to me as well. CMSF1 has a big emotional connection to me since it was made in parallel with the CMx2 game engine. That and it was a big gamble for us because of our traditional WW2 customer base. A gamble, I might add, that was a bigger success than we expected it to be. Good for everybody.

To CMSF1 customers I say this...the enthusiasm you showed for the game and CMx2 is why we are still here now. All I can say at this point is we're still interested in finding some direct way to benefit you guys a bit more. We just haven't figured out exactly what to do and how to do it yet.

Steve

Found here...last reply at bottom.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1378302&postcount=200

And there's also this;

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1370795&postcount=45

Mord.

At this point, it probably makes more sense for the team to focus on CMSF2: UKRAINE, which I assume means at minimum US Army, Russians, Ukrainians and various irregular forces (i.e. Uncons) on both sides.

1. If the game's backstory doesn't include USMC, Brits, Canadians, Dutch or Germans, then later release a $15 expansion pack containing (tweaked) versions of these forces (but no other content -- the community can provide that, or just play QBs), so the CMSF1 work is not lost and can be monetized for the niche that wants these forces. I think that would be an ample "bone" to throw those of us who have kept the lights on in CMSF world.

2. As Broadsword56 showed over in the CMFI Tunisia project, resurrecting the Middle East in an unofficial mod pack is not at all difficult. In fact, with increasingly bigger maps playable, new worlds open up.

3. The Syrian army, or any other Middle Eastern RED force, can almost certainly be recreated using the older Bloc weapons and equipment that would presumably be used by the Russian/Ukie militia forces (POOR weapons quality should be provided for all forces in the new game, including US, so we can do early 2000s historical).

And with that plus the NATO force pack, anybody who cares to bootstrap their fave CMSF1 scenarios and maps can readily do so. I will certainly be looking to bring my Ramadi and Baba Amr nightmare urban maps over (part of why I haven't done much with them lately).... the new 2.0 Map overlay editor should make that reasonably easy although a copy-paste among maps (even if not backportable to older games) would be even better!

The only "new feature" I'd definitely plead for is for the CMSF2 engine to allow flat-roofed (e.g. office) buildings with parapets, plus infantry able to move from an interior through a door and enter the (flat) rooftop of an adjacent building so that we can construct "split" level buildings (as is the case in CMSF). That's quite distinct and important for the Third World.

Also, I hope that CMSF2 will take a close look at the combat modeling of buildings in general, distinguishing traditional (weight borne by thick walls) from modern (steel/cement skeleton with thin walls 'hung' on it) for this next go-round.

"...we're still interested in finding some direct way to benefit you guys a bit more. We just haven't figured out exactly what to do and how to do it yet."

Well, that certainly sounds like there is hope... But, when they have such an ambitious schedule of new releases, it's hard to see any biz sense in doing anything for the handful of us who still play CMSF. (Hope I am wrong.)