Darknight's 21st Army Group (v2.0)

For any that are interested, I have been looking at the new files available in v2.0 and I need some time to figure out how to create the necessary normal maps for the graphics (any tips are appreciated). After playing around a bit to get a feel for the changes, I plan on updating the CW units and I even have some ideas for some pretty neat improvements.

I could start slogging through the entire 21st AG, start to finish, but I'm actually thinking of being more selective of the regiments that I concentrate on, at least to start. I'm thinking of doing a single representative unit for each division (my choice), and also whichever specific units that the Battlefront community requests to have made. I tend towards being a completionist but I'm not so sure that the community really wants/uses every single CW regiment....and there is a possibility that I drive myself insane trying to "do it all".

So, if you're interested in a specific 21st AG unit, post it here and I'll use this list as the initial task list for what I work on. I will do every unit that the community specifically wants (plus some additional ones).

Technically, you already have the 49th (West Riding) Division, as they are the stock British uniform textures.

I'll end up choosing one (or maybe more) of the battalions from this division but is there a specific unit from the 49th that interests you?

Yes:

4/King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (KOYLI)

Hallamshire Battalion

Linconshire Battalion

Kensingtons

7/Duke of Wellington's

So, if you're interested in a specific 21st AG unit, post it here and I'll use this list as the initial task list for what I work on. I will do every unit that the community specifically wants (plus some additional ones).

My request would be for the The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) of Canada. My father's original regiment (from the 1960s). He still helps organize reunions and other events.

I may actually give my beloved Canadian regiments the full treatment. ;)

I have all the assets and they are the easiest to template.

In all likelihood, I'll probably still eventually do the entire 21st AG as I get the time.

It's just that the last time I was releasing the mods to correspond to the order that the units actually entered the theatre of operations.

This time, I will focus on the requested units first, as they are obviously the ones people want the most. :)

I played around with normal map creation last night and I think I have a method now to arrive at normal maps that are very close to the ones BFC created. This is very important because any changes to the stock BMPs will require new corresponding normal maps. I'll be testing my process over the next few days and if it works as intended, then I'll be all set to start work on the new mod.

DC as I was just saying to Broadsword - your and Mord's work is the first mod I want back in CM. I'll take whatever peaks your interest and be happy about it.

Appreciate that BUT what DC has ahead of him makes the portrait stuff look like kindergarten!

In all likelihood, I'll probably still eventually do the entire 21st AG as I get the time.

Read your sig line...you KNOW you will LOL.

BTW that little thing we were discussing the other night is just about done.

Mord.

I played around with normal map creation last night and I think I have a method now to arrive at normal maps that are very close to the ones BFC created. This is very important because any changes to the stock BMPs will require new corresponding normal maps. I'll be testing my process over the next few days and if it works as intended, then I'll be all set to start work on the new mod.

I would recommend taking a look at "Crazybump".

In my experience this normal mapping tool produces the most professional and best results, at little or even no cost, is very easy to use and is thus ideal for the non professional/modder. As you'll see the quality is very comparable with BF stock v2.0 maps. Yes there is a small fee for a permanent licence but you can get it on trial for a month for free.

Here's a very good tutorial on its application (should also provide an impression also on the quality of the maps produced). There should be a link in there for the software itself. If not you can try googling it:

http://iamsparky.wordpress.com/crazybump/