FO - enhanced ability to spot/see

Erwin

Re FO's... we know that they and certain other units are able to see/spot through obstructing terrain (eg wheatfields etc) further than other units when in their default position. Is that true if they are HIDING as well?

ie: In effect would an FO make for a better ambusher if they are more aware than normal units when HIDING (leaving aside the wisdom of using them in this way)?

I have experimented with FO's and one can trace an FO's TARGET line much further through terrain that blocks the TARGET lines of other units. I wish I could recall for sure what other units also have this ability, but IIRC HMG teams and snipers(?) There was a thread about this many months ago.

So this enhanced spotting ability is not only for indirect fire.

I was just curious if anyone noticed if the enhanced ability also exists if the FO is HIDING.

I have experimented with FO's and one can trace an FO's TARGET line much further through terrain that blocks the TARGET lines of other units. I wish I could recall for sure what other units also have this ability, but IIRC HMG teams and snipers(?) There was a thread about this many months ago.

I was just curious if anyone noticed if the enhanced ability also exists if the FO is HIDING.

Based on a test in CMFI, this is dependent on posture and you are likely comparing units where some soldiers are kneeling to units where all soldiers are prone. Tripod MGs and mortars, for example, always have some soldiers kneeling when the weapon is deployed. If you hide the units you will see all spotting equalized as everyone goes prone.

It is a little known fact the original unit nomenclature for the Artillery Spotter was the Forward Observer/Artillery Director (FOAD). When the enemy was spotted by other members of the company, the local commander would use the term FOAD to bring the spotter to the line. Soon chaos would reign from the sky and the cheer would go up all along the line towards the enemy positions FOAD, FOAD, FOAD.

....After the war this term developed new meaning - please refer to Urban Dictionary for additional information.

I've never seen HMGs able to trace a LOF further than any other similarly positioned infantry team. Nor Snipers.

Hey Lt Belenko, you sure about that origin for FOAD? I'm happy to accept it's usage as "f*** of and die" had a military origin (as so many things do), but I've read a lot of history and never seen the specific term "Forward Observer/Artillery Director" as a "unit" nomenclature (nor as kit nomenclature). I've seen other terms that are close ("Artillery Forward Observer", "Forward Observer, Artillery") and am aware of an "artillery director" as a piece of kit (like a surveyor's instrument) co-located with a battery to help orientate their guns. But whilst its possible that some forward observers might also have carried a lightweight director-kit for use when still in sight of their own guns, I've never seen this kit-name used as part of any forward observer unit's title. And there's a massive amount of WW1 and WW2 nomenclature and abbreviation origin info out there. So its a nice story, but I just can't help think that someone somewhere has retrospectively force-fitted it, following the re-popularisation of terms like FUBAR and SNAFU. (Sorry to drift off your topic Erwin).

womble: there was a thread about this but many months ago. I definitely experimented and found that FO's could "see" further thru terrain like wheatfields etc. I just don't recall which other units could as well. If not HMG's then maybe recon?? I just wish I could recall the thread.

womble: there was a thread about this but many months ago. I definitely experimented and found that FO's could "see" further thru terrain like wheatfields etc. I just don't recall which other units could as well. If not HMG's then maybe recon?? I just wish I could recall the thread.

FOs (all FOs, even HQs acting as FOs) can drop arty further into terrain than other units can shoot. They have binos. Please find that thread, cos I don't remember it at all.

It was all so bloody long ago... way before CMFI, so maybe a year ago or so.

I can't even remember the scenario or campaign I was playing. But, I definitely recall that there was a very informative discussion about which units can "see"/TARGET" a bit further into terrain than other units. It didn't have anything to do with binos. Just that certain units had this enhanced ability for playability issues (I would suspect).

No worries... I am sure the situation will come up again, and I hope I remember to do experiments then.