CMBN John Kettler vs. "Cats Chasing Dogs"

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, John, I couldn't get that last part. How do you improve AI in this game?

By the way, I'll also give it a shot as the Americans today when I have time. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I didn't find playing as Germans too easy, by the way (probably it was just me). If the Pumas tried to poke their heads out, they got shot rather quickly... the Americans seemed to be better shots. Probably the Americans' were more experienced?

Vrooom, vroomm! "Von Bredow's Death Ride" reenacted by my little panzergrenadiers 74 years later in France, once again.

There you go, a little tilt-shift for you. Next time I'll be careful to take photos of units from far above to get a better miniature wargaming effect.

The halftracks in this one are a bit too close to create that, but never mind.

germans.png

Operating from a higher dimensional underground base “somewhere near Russia,” the Reptoid boss was fearsome indeed (saw him in my mind’s eye, with details confirmed via Ground Contingent). Standing some 50-60 feet tall, crested, with a triangular head (“viewed” from the top), a mouthful of sharp teeth, fearsome talons and a thick, mottled, battle scarred hide, this thing radiated command presence and power. All that went for naught when it suddenly found itself being spirally sliced (like a Honey-Baked Ham™) from the neck down, immediately followed by a repeat. This time, the cut axis was perpendicular to the first savaging. Thus, you could say the Reptoid boss was first sliced, then diced–clear down to the bone in places. The resulting “sight” of giant flensed Reptoid was ghastly and bloody to behold, but empowering as well. Why? Not only was I “there,” but I was the one who decided, in a moment of mad impulse, to take a shot at the towering monster, supported by a member of the Ground Contingent.

As some of my readers on UFO and related issues know very well, we may be weak and practically helpless here, but we can be terrors in other realms. This is but one of many reasons why we’re kept dumbed down and at everyone else’s throat. Somehow, I “knew” that a blade much like that on a meat slicer was the way to go. The rest was simply going with my sense of how to proceed. With a flensed, helpless Reptoid boss before us, we called in the Sharks.

JK Will you cover how you single-handedly killed the reptoid boss in another AAR, and what meds were you on at the time?

I played this from the American side last night while drinking some French Wine from COSTCO to put me in the mood.

ELITE setting. Total Victory. I lost 2 Greyhounds with 8 killed 7 wounded. As I recall the Germans lost all the PUMA's and 251's. 2 SdKFZ 250's stayed hidden 'rattled'. TOTAL VICTORY was achieved by German combat losses-there was nothing left to stop an exit.

If you played Steel Beast (I played the old one A LOT) this scenario isn't a problem-and the terrain is familiar-just stand off-study the land. The Greyhounds have an open top-the PUMA's don't so the American's never have to open up to look. German's don't unless they unbutton. Don't rush and use bounding overwatch tactics. Fools rush in.

Sound military tactics from one excellent military game can be applied to another.

Just because the German's have the sexier vehicles and the Comic Opera uniforms doesn't automatically mean they're gonna win.

Combined Arms. Combined Arms. Combined Arms.....

One little area on the map gave me some issues ( lost 2 Greyhounds) but it wasn't anything tactics wouldn't overcome. Not gonna give it away-but I was kicking myself "Stupid! Dumb mistake!!!")

The real enemy in the game is the clock-in real life you would be more prudent with such an expanse.

Nice little Scenario. I just finished playing the Le Clarilont-It's Quiet to Quiet scenaro before on ELITE settings. Had my a** handed to me.

I love these Battlefront games.

I think you have that the wrong way round, Luke. John can dispatch Reptilian overlords with ease, but finds CMBN an unfathomable challenge. Therefore the only correct deduction must be that Reptilian overlords are about as fearsome as a mentally handicapped garden snail. I think the rest of us, who can best the CMBN AI roughly 51 times out of 100, can sleep a bit easier now.

TheMinistry,

Your Vroom! Vroom! cracked me up. As far as enhancing the attackers, I was referring to increasing force size and/or troop quality (not sure latter's doable) to offset the AI's poor abilities on the attack. As the Russians are fond of observing, "Quantity creates a quality all its own."

Tempestzzzz,

Seems to me you've got this scenario wired and that Steel Beast did a great job of training you to fight this battle. Well done! The clock was indeed a problem and forced me into actions I would strongly prefer to have avoided. I did use bounding overwatch as much as possible, but got shot to pieces for my pains. If we ever do another ROW, I think you might be a terror.

Regards,

John Kettler

Brent Pollock (WBRP),

According to the CMBN Game Manual, p. 186, leIG 18s may be purchased as either on-map or off-map, but I see nothing indicating what you described. I think it's theoretically doable, but so far, I have utterly failed in determining Rmin (minimum range) for the weapon, which can fire well into normal mortar angles of fire.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

I have the feeling we have another Brent Pollock around here somewhere.