CMBN John Kettler vs. "Cats Chasing Dogs"

IIRC, the 75 mm IGs can be used for on-board indirect fire using their HQ as spotter.

75mm IGs are eligible indirect fire weapons, same as mortars. They can, if in radio contact, be called upon by any eligible FO. They can't fire high arc and keep the shells on the (well, most) field, though, so often this ability is negated by tall obstacles like trees on hills. Not having seen Cats vs Dogs I don't know whether the map would permit the use of the guns in indirect for many position-target combinations; might be worth digging the map out and futzing around to see what limitations there are before you depend on lobbing the shells at any given target.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

womble,

Wakarimasen. I don't get it. I understand the leIG 18 can be purchased as an FO, thus, is taskable by eligible HQs, too. I also understand it can be had as an on map direct fire weapon. Are you saying that an leIG 18, on the board, can be used for indirect fire? If so, it's news to me.

That's exactly what I'm saying. At least it's the core statement. If you have IGs on the board, they will appear as potentially selectable assets in the arty support interface of your FO-eligible units. If they're deployed and in radio contact you will be able to send them missions.

The big caveat is that they suffer from an inability to fire high-angle shots and if their elevation is approaching 45deg, they will be flinging their shots further than most maps cover, so they have to lob their shells in shallow arcs which often intersect the intervening terrain that is preventing them firing direct on the target in the first place. This does tend, IME so far of using them on BN maps, that they actually aren't any practical use as indirect fire assets. This situation may alter on more open maps, though the hills of Sicily may be steep enough to prevent indirect fire anyway.

womble,

I don't know what to say, seeing as how this sort of capability, long requested by me, is exactly what I was told couldn't be done. Evidently, it has been done, but the implementation isn't complete. The weapon can, after all, fire as high as 70 degrees, well into mortar coverage, but not up to the 85 degrees an Gw 34 can fire from. I've long wanted the ability to have both the leIG 18 and the sIG 33 be able to transition from indirect fire to direct fire.

Not only did I think there was no way to do this in the game, but I failed miserably at finding Rmin for either weapon, thus have no idea how close in these weapons can shoot in high trajectory fire. I believe it's not more than 1000 meters, conceivably maybe as little as half that, but I don't know. I can get shell weight for both guns, but lacking MV at Charge Zero, even with a physicist available, there's still no way to compute it.

Regards,

John Kettler

womble,

I don't know what to say, seeing as how this sort of capability, long requested by me, is exactly what I was told couldn't be done.

If I remember the conversations correctly, what has been said can't be done is the high angle fire.

The weapon can, after all, fire as high as 70 degrees, well into mortar coverage...Rmin...have no idea how close in these weapons can shoot in high trajectory fire. I believe it's not more than 1000 meters...

Someone did find the info, and ran it through a ballistics program, and got a value, IIRC, of somewhere around 1500m @70deg. Which will fit on some maps. Whether high angle fire is directly modelled and the inconveniences of terrain therefore set to nought, I can't confirm or deny. If I get time later, I might give the little fellers a go on a big map and see if really long range (as I'd characterise 1500m, relative to most BN maps) gets fired at high angle. Should be relatively easy to eyeball. How the AI might decide between firing at over-45deg and under-45 while the hittable ranges overlap, I couldn't begin to say...

womble,

Thanks! Guess I'm still digesting the core message from you. Shall be most interested in what your eventual testing turns up. 1500m is over twice the range at which I fought in "Cats Chasing Dogs." If the Germans had eyeballs on the road, they could certainly make life miserable during the advance to contact. Neither the jeeps nor the Greyhounds can take such a hit. Anywhere.

Regards,

John Kettler

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'll bite.

This happens to be my favorite CMBN battle. However, I'm not up on the parallel thread regarding the OP.

First, I made a spin off of this very battle, called "The Monk's Wine..." Which was a lot of fun to create. You can download it from the repository on battlefront.com. But the length of the board is what makes this scenario fun. Thin width wise and long length wise, very difficult movement options and decisions. But I made it a little tougher with more units as a German probe and I think it turned out ok.

Second, and more importantly, I'm convinced that YU55 was intercepted by some Frankenstein Russian/American Nuclear MRBM, the only additional fact being, it wasn't a typical asteroid it was a boulder weapon launched from the planet Klendathu, launched by our arch nemesis, the Arachnids and I've decided it's high time to join the Mobile Infantry.

Wish me luck.

womble,

ArgusEye, over in the zooks and schrecks on the balcony thread (I think), showed Rmins of ~500m for the leIG 18 and ~637 for the sIG 33, both doable on most map sizes.

hm_stanley,

Putting what you said through the Universal Translator I don't have, do you mean you've read this one, but not the John Kettler vs CMBN thread? If so, we're on the same page.

Full marks on a sally which showed both that you'd paid attention and had a clever twist. Mobile Infantry rocks, which is why whoever depicted the MI the way it was portrayed in the "Starship Troopers" movie is being hunted and WILL be tried before a military tribunal once caught. For treason.

Regards,

John Kettler

hm_stanley,

I'll have to take a look at your scenario. You are quite the wit. Shall be interested to see what you come up with next. Also, your sig seems to indicate a terrifying new level of weapon capability. There has been concern in some quarters about ethnic tailoring of biowarfare agents, but you've uncovered one which apparently targets by sexual preference!

Regards,

John Kettler