Armchair General presents Combat Mission Normandy Tactics Episode V

How I love these videos. As good as it gets.

But I have to laugh at how the Colonel's videos always have him come out looking like a tactical genius...can anybody beat this guy? Now that's something I'd like to see: All his excellent planning, the action begins, and then he's "WTF!? My platoon is falling back in chaos. My flank is turned..."

But I have to laugh at how the Colonel's videos always have him come out looking like a tactical genius...can anybody beat this guy? Now that's something I'd like to see: All his excellent planning, the action begins, and then he's "WTF!? My platoon is falling back in chaos. My flank is turned..."

Actually that would be an excellent suggestion for him. Do a video on "What to do when your plan goes sideways" I could use that right now :D

huh - never seen these before. Very nicely done, although the Colonel seems to have been fully afflicted by the blight of Powerpoint as a result of his service ;)

I like to think it's no coincidence that at least four of the scenarios he's used to illustrate his lessons are ones that I designed and/or built :D

But I have to laugh at how the Colonel's videos always have him come out looking like a tactical genius...

Would you broadcast a video of an ignominious defeat entitled "How to conduct a defense"? "How not to conduct a defense", sure. :) It's like all military training videos: they show you the optimum case. Partly because dealing with all the possible things that could go wrong would take too long (and is dealt with in the Q&A/practical afterwards), partly for propaganda reasons.

Hister,

The good colonel definitely understands the concept "tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em, tell 'em, then tell 'em what you told 'em" presentation model. Once you get past the antiaircraft, agrav equipped, underside exposed Panther bit (how DID it manage to get the gun barrel down far enough to engage?), the tutorial's quite good, though a bit anal for my tastes. Nevertheless, I've gotten enough from the first one that I shall continue watching. Who knows? These training vids might actually give me enough of a knowledge base that I can finally manage to reach CMBN takeoff velocity. Stranger things have happened.

And, yes, he's right about the dangers of being in buildings. Have the butcher's bill from several CMBN Demo battles to prove it. Wooden ones are not so good; give me stone, nice thick stone. His halftrack vulnerability demo was telling and matches my experience, except that mine get clobbered even while in a town and trying to use all available cover while still fighting. How I hate AS imposed limits on vehicle positioning. What a pain! The other part I really liked in the first one was the clear distinction he drew between cover and concealment. Can't tell you how many times I've ground my teeth over expressions like "under cover of darkness," "under cover of smoke," "under cover of fog." Gah!

Regards,

John Kettler

...I hate AS imposed limits on vehicle positioning...

What "AS imposed limits on vehicle positioning"? There are sometimes limits on how close together you can put waypoints, but they're not, AFAICT, tied to AS (sometimes you have to get more than an AS away from the previous waypoint, it seeems to me), and if the terminal waypoint where you want the vehicle to stop can't be placed because the previous waypoint is too close, why not move the previous waypoint?

I just watched episode 2. I am impressed now as I have attempted this scenario myself :). Getting that result (even in warrior) is quite a feat.

Indeed! I lost that one every single time I tried. Best thing I could do was to avoid severe casualties to have a good shot in the following battle.

noob,

Mine got shredded while in wooden buildings. Given various firepower demonstrations I've seen, to include War Department training films, even a standard tree can be shot clean through, and it's about a foot thick.

As for AS, I've had a terrible time siting DF infantry weapons and effectively using light armor because, in my experience, the AS artificially limits my positioning options. It's practically impossible to position an AFV so as to be able to partially peek around a building. I kept finding myself either behind a house unable to see at all, or dangerously exposed out in the street. This was with the Demo, mind, but I'm pretty sure it was already 1.01 when I got it. I could well be wrong. Checked--1.10, as downloaded. The awful things that've happened when trying to site AT guns make me want to scream.

Regards,

John Kettler

As for AS, I've had a terrible time siting DF infantry weapons...

[and]

...awful things that've happened when trying to site AT guns...

None of which are vehicles and thus are limited by the AS grid. I don't find MGs and Mortars to present much of a problem finding spots where they'll do some good without having their asses hanging out in the breeze, but will agree to an extent about ATG, particularly the "aberrant crew member" problem that sometimes strikes when you're squeezing the piece into a half-square.

It's practically impossible to position an AFV so as to be able to partially peek around a building.

As it should be. The "eyes" of an AFV (and its main weapons) are near its centre of visual mass, by and large, and so there will always be a large chunk of whatever aspect you're presenting to the direction of vision exposed, if you want to look that way.

I've been having some AS problems lately too. I wish their relationship to terrain irregularities could be rethought somehow. The problem being that much of the time in FI the maps are pretty bumpy, which is fine with me. I would love to be able to use them as cover for my infantry. Trouble is, all too often, the AS forces them to be either too exposed or not to be able to see over the bump at all. Would this get better with smaller Action Spots? I have no way of telling, but anyway I expect that is a long way off yet.

Michael

I've been having some AS problems lately too. I wish their relationship to terrain irregularities could be rethought somehow. The problem being that much of the time in FI the maps are pretty bumpy, which is fine with me. I would love to be able to use them as cover for my infantry. Trouble is, all too often, the AS forces them to be either too exposed or not to be able to see over the bump at all. Would this get better with smaller Action Spots? I have no way of telling, but anyway I expect that is a long way off yet.

Michael

"Sometimes" a Face order can help in this sort of situation. It's really difficult to tell what direction is best though. It really needs the TacAI to have a little more general awareness of crests, I think. Probably not a trivial ask.