Buddy aid/weapon exchange

This is consistent; i don't post over one offs to be honest. I play about a dozen games of PBEM at a time, and my own single player QBs and the behaviour doesn't vary. MP40/MG42/Kar98 will get left by a man delivering buddy aid, but one comment i would make is that this seems to be a bigger issue with CMFI than CMBN.

MG42 certainly doesn't get left behind consistently. I play multiple PBEM games at a time, also, and I've seen many many times a small 3 man squad (who I use as medics) pick up several MG42's. Sometimes all 3 guys end up with MG42's.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that combat mission had dedicated medics. Units who are poorly armed but better at rendering aid.

Remember, though, that buddy aid - and especially recovering weapons - was almost an afterthought. The focus of the game is small unit combat. It's not a logistics trainer, or an mini-IFOT, or anything else like that. Having buddy aid (and weapon recovery) and plausible artillery mechanics is wonderful, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the mechanics of buddy aid - especially - to be expanded much.

This has been brought up here before by myself included. The last time I brought it up I had a panzerfaust magically disappear after doing some medic aid. I definitely would like more flexibility of control with the acquire command when it comes to buddy aid, and getting ammo from vehicles. Currently one does not have to enter a vehicle to get ammo, but it will happen on its own when the troop runs out, and is close enough to a vehicle. Tip: Park a jeep, or half track behind a building with troops to keep them supplied from the vehicle without having to enter it. That being said being able to acquire without entering would streamline the process especially for wego.

With buddy aid I believe no weapons should be left. If the troop doing the aid cannot carry more then the picked up weapon should appear on another troop in the squad who can carry it. If I am going into a tight fight I want SMG's. If he skips the SMG because he has no ammo for it then I'll get some ammo to him for it via a vehicle. The point is I want to have control over what the dude will pick up or not. Currently to better the chances of picking up different weapons I try to give a little of each ammo type to squads who are currently not carrying all weapon types. Tip: Do this for vehicle crews then send them out as medics. They will pick up good stuff to replace pistols. (although you might want to keep the pistols ;)

That being said being able to acquire without entering would streamline the process especially for wego.

Is there an echo in here? ;)

With buddy aid I believe no weapons should be left. If the troop doing the aid cannot carry more then the picked up weapon should appear on another troop in the squad who can carry it.

So ... this isn't X-com we're playing.

What you're suggesting takes no account of damaged weapon, or - perhaps more importantly - that soldiers on all sides in WWII routinely left weapons (and a whole bunch of other claggage) behind.

I understand the desire, as a player, to extract maximum efficiency out of every asset available, but it just isn't realistic to think, or play, that way.

What you're suggesting takes no account of damaged weapon, or - perhaps more importantly - that soldiers on all sides in WWII routinely left weapons (and a whole bunch of other claggage) behind.

I understand the desire, as a player, to extract maximum efficiency out of every asset available, but it just isn't realistic to think, or play, that way.

Yes, much more realistic for the panzerfaust on the guys back to magically disappear when he picks up another weapon from buddy aid. In reality I would certainly drop the panzerfaust so I could carry both an MG42, and a rifle especially if enemy armor is in the area ;). The game does not, nor should it model damaged infantry weapons for playability reasons. Doing so would just create frustration, and there is no fun in that.

I do not think, or play the way other want me to think, or play. This seems to serve me well as I have not lost a single PBEM in CMx2 as of yet. When one puts themselves in a box they cannot think outside of it.

I do not think, or play the way other want me to think, or play.

Bully for you. AFAIK, BFC do not think, or create the way others want them to think, or create.

This seems to serve me well as I have not lost a single PBEM in CMx2 as of yet.

That impresses me about this much -->||<-- (magnified greatly)

This seems to serve me well as I have not lost a single PBEM in CMx2 as of yet. When one puts themselves in a box they cannot think outside of it.

Man I totally trashed my neighbor game after game for almost a year. I mean I just completely humiliated them. We don't get to play so much now that he is back in school. First grade is apparently pretty demanding. I can't wait till summer break though next year, time for some more whoop ass!!

Oh by the way, nice back handed slap at your opponents. I am sure they totally appreciate your estimation of their capabilities. :rolleyes:

Bully for you. AFAIK, BFC do not think, or create the way others want them to think, or create.

That impresses me about this much -->||<-- (magnified greatly)

Not meant to impress, just stating fact. Every dog has his day, and I'm sure mine will come in Cmx2 as it did in Cmx1.

Before I come off as an arrogant prick (I’m more of a confident prick ;) let me say I NEVER underestimate my opponent, and always manage to have fun playing whether it has been against good players, and not so good players. I even have fun playing against the AI, which has been my worst opponent. I have had close games, and everyone from best to worst has gotten some kills on me. Have I been playing against general Patton types? No, but the friends I have played against have been compatible in the types of battles (mainly medium sized meeting engagements) we prefer so it works out that way. I haven’t lost one yet Cmx2 to my friends I have played, but like I said every dog has his day. There is a bullet out there with my name on it. I just haven’t got hit with it yet. I’m just not gung ho serious enough to get involved with any of the leagues, but I agree I probably could use some tougher competition, which I am confident enough to to battle against.

Now, back to the topic at hand. I want my panzerfaust to come back from the twilight zone! :)