Assaulting Hills

I'm pretty impressed with some of the "Hill Assault" missions! They can be pretty tough nuts to crack! (As I'm sure they were in reality)

I think the basic elements are there to do some Pacific Theater Packs in the future. (Please not before the Eastern Front Series!!) .... but I found myself thinking a lot of descriptions of assaulting Japanese defenses on numerous Pacific Islands when playing some of these missions .... there is a lot of very diverse Pacific material make CM games from!! (Not just assaulting hills)

I'm just about to finish Lemon Hill. It's been a roller coaster:

1. Cool battle!

2. I hate this battle!

3. This was what I planned all along!

4. ...if I can just push those men a bit more, the top is in site

Regular Italians go from Ok to Rattled very quickly

PLAYING THIS ONE MYSELF.

I only play it when I have no other files game files from HtoH to play, but its just a pain trying to get my men close to the objective, you really have your hands tied as to what you have to try and assault this hill. I just have not been too motivated to sit down and invest time into this one. Its been a task trying to find avenues of approach with the limited cover there is.

I sure hope my arty does something once it arrives. But between time limits, limited arty and not much else in direct fire support unless you take out the enemy guns. It is a fine challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
PLAYING THIS ONE MYSELF.

I only play it when I have no other files game files from HtoH to play, but its just a pain trying to get my men close to the objective, you really have your hands tied as to what you have to try and assault this hill. I just have not been too motivated to sit down and invest time into this one. Its been a task trying to find avenues of approach with the limited cover there is.

I sure hope my arty does something once it arrives. But between time limits, limited arty and not much else in direct fire support unless you take out the enemy guns. It is a fine challenge.

Spoiler

I just sat down and finished the battle tonight, Lemon hill

It turned out to be a great battle to play against the AI as the italians.

The american units on the hill will do damage to any unit you have at long range if you expose them to their view. So scouting in front of your approaches is important. But no matter what, I would expect you taking some losses because of the terrain and how open it is as you move closer.

The armor you have is no match for the Pack howitzers on the hill. I lost two to them, another to a 50 cal MG and one to a bazooka. So I had to assault a hill with infantry mostly with Bolt action rifles, 3 small 45mm mortars and one off board arty unit, which has only one man with radio access to it to call the missions, plus it was 16-17 minutes for the missions to arrive.

So needless to say, this turns into a battle of shear force in that I had to find ways to overwelm the American infantry with numbers since they always had much greater firepower.

I fell in love with the M35 mortars, they became my work horse for pinning the enemy and then moving up my troops to very close distances since it was pretty safe since the explosions are so small. with 45 kills and 18 wounded to the enemy. 23 came from these mortars.

All 5 armor units did not count for a handful of enemy kills. So a majority of the rest of the kills came from infantry assaulting and normally having to be very close to the dug in troops to get kills, hand grenades were in use plenty in this battle.

By far not one of my best played missions. But I walked away with a minor victory . having cleared the front of the hill but running out of time, And that was with me pushing very hard for at least the last 30-40 minutes. So this scenario ask alot out of you. But it was fun taking such a undergunned force and managing to push them onto the hill.

I actually lost more men than the defender, with 52 killed and 34 wounded.

I have not played a battle since the old squad leader games where I have had that feel for pushing mass amounts of poor troops and trying to just overcome the enemy with shear numbers in force.

It is a interesting change.