Spacebar Menu

First I want to say that I really like the spacebar menu. I would even like to use it more but I think it would benefit from some improvements.

The ideas are mostly neither mine nor new. The CAD program I use introduced something similar a year ago (they copied it from someone else) and it really sped up my work because it reduced mouse travel so much.

Here's the list:

1)

Spacebar opens the menu so should another tap on the bar close it again. If you accidentally opened it you have the finger already in place.

2)

If you open the menu in a place where there is not enough space to unfold it completely move the mouse pointer together with the menu to a spot with enough space. Move the pointer back after closing the menu. Reduces mouse travel.

3)

Make the icons bigger. Its not obstructing the view of anything you want to look at at this time. The screen background could as well be black - wouldn't hurt. Bigger icons means less 'aiming' time and more ease of use.

It has been mentioned by Steve that the UI currently does not scale with resolution. This may also cause this size problem.

4)

Pressing the 'Pause' button should not close the menu. Usually you need to press it several times so you would need to reopen the menu every time. Very tedious, I doubt anyone uses it.

Another option would be to unfold a third column with all possible times.

5)

Mouse travel path is very inconvenient. Currently you may have to change directions two or three times and move over menu-free areas. The reason is that the second column is always aligned to the top.

One solution would be to align the second column to the height of the first option you choose. This way the movement would at least always be right and down.

Another solution (which I would prefer) is to have a circular menu. With a circular menu the mouse always travels in one direction. This gets very soon saved in muscle memory and is really convenient (at least my experience from the CAD program).

I tried to draw a mockup but my artist skills are limited. I hope I can convey what I mean. The buttons would obviously all need colour and text. The shapes could also be thinner in radial direction.

spacebarmenuround.png

I play with my left hand on the keyboard for camera controls and the right on the touchpad. I tried mapping the various commands to the keyboard but then I have to move the right hand away from the trackpad.

Opening the menu with the right thumb and choosing the command with a flick of a finger would be terrific.

• 3 months later...
I play with my left hand on the keyboard for camera controls and the right on the touchpad. I tried mapping the various commands to the keyboard but then I have to move the right hand away from the trackpad.

Opening the menu with the right thumb and choosing the command with a flick of a finger would be terrific.

Bump and this would be terrific for me as well.