Tips on pacing (or patience)?

It's also worth bearing mind that a good defender will often have a mobile reserve out of harm's way that can suddenly descend on and upset what seems like a safe scouted route.

In that respect one plays vs the oppo's mind (even if AI), as well as the game system idiosyncrasies itself.

One thing I have been doing lately is getting my pacing ques from my own men. Once a platoon has moved or assaulted into their latest position I have a look at their status, Tired, Tiring, Ready etc. I'll give the whole unit a breather letting each squad get back to Ready (unless something urgent comes up of course).

It seems that troops in CMFI get winded a lot faster using Quick, likely the default tempo, than in previous games. Especially when climbing hills but now also on flat terrain. Additionally the weight they're carrying appears to affect them more, e.g., mortar teams and MGs. The Walk command, neglected before, is coming into its own.

I think you are referrring to Miyamoto Musashi and the book of Five Rings (written closer to 400 years ago. Musashi was around for the emergence of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Samurai as a distinct class did not emerge until around the 12th Century). Interesting side note, in Kyoto you can visit a temple that was the scene of one of his more famous exploits.

that is the Book, I have it on the shelve at home.

Beware as you may find your forces flowing into a kill sack. I am wary of moving through areas my opponent is allowing me too

true, but you have to find a worthy opponent before you start to have to deal with such things. I have not had a problem other than scenario designed ones where reinforcements come in later to create the pocket you are caught in.

It's also worth bearing mind that a good defender will often have a mobile reserve out of harm's way that can suddenly descend on and upset what seems like a safe scouted route.

In that respect one plays vs the oppo's mind (even if AI), as well as the game system idiosyncrasies itself.

Thus the reason to be aggressive. Not giving the defender time to pull them up to a good location to provide help is the way to keep the defence off balence

It seems that troops in CMFI get winded a lot faster using Quick, likely the default tempo, than in previous games. Especially when climbing hills but now also on flat terrain. Additionally the weight they're carrying appears to affect them more, e.g., mortar teams and MGs. The Walk command, neglected before, is coming into its own.

Without checking or testing or anything like that,it may have something to do with the hotter and dryer climate.

It's been my experience that the less experienced a player is when playing against a human opponent the more aggressive that player is. In other words, if someone normally plays against the AI and you are their first human opponent they will tend to be more aggressive than someone who has played a lot of games against other people. There are exceptions of course - I used to play one guy pretty regularly and he was always aggressive to the point of foolhardiness every time we played. For some reason he always kept coming back for more though :confused:.

My favorite game was one in CMAK ... I don't remember the name of the scenario but it came with the CD. I play scenarios by having one person select the scenario but the other person selects the side they want to play as. I selected the scenario assuming my opponent would pick American (defender) but he selected German (attacker) instead. I told him I didn't think it was a wise choice but he insisted so I obliged him. I deployed all my stuff and waited. He advanced through the open valley with a tank and infantry force and I just watched him and waited. The valley was split in two by a river or creek as I recall and there were high mountains all along one map edge. He started to get nervous, but continued to advance with his infantry and armor. Finally, at the last possible moment I opened up with everything I had. He was completely annihilated and auto surrendered after about five minutes. I didn't lose a single man wounded or killed. I'll give him credit though - he played through adversity rather than rage quitting.

I had another nice one in CMSF Marines where I played as the insurgents against a Marine assault force in a valley. Once again, I don't remember the name of it. Anyway, my opponent drove his APCs right into the center of town with a small flanking force on either side of town. Once again I waited and waited - he even unknowingly passed several of my positions on his side of town as he raced down the main street. Once he reached the bridge in the center of town though I let him have it both from my side of the bridge and from my insurgents on his side of the bridge. I led off with several RPGs and had the HMG, Sniper, and insurgent squads rocking on all his poor truppen bailing out of his burning APCs. His lead platoon was almost eliminated completely with bodies and wreckage everywhere (they were completely surrounded and had nowhere to go since I was in the buildings he tried to run for to get cover after my initial ambush). I was actually running low on ammunition though and we didn't get a chance to finish it unfortunately. He did seem to be gaining the upper hand by the time we had to stop just because my troops were too lightly armed to go toe to toe with those Marines and their APCs (those ridiculous automatic grenade launchers are killers). However, my troops had taken hardly any casualties and I had a fallback defensive line to go to. I think the ammunition problem was going to be my downfall before the end though.

Anyway, I love to play against aggressive opponents, although if you aren't ready for them they can catch you by surprise and get an advantage during one game. After that though any aggressive player can have his nose smacked by the newpaper easily enough. Whenever I play against an unfamiliar opponent I tend to prepare for the super aggressive attack and then adjust accordingly if the opponent turns out to be more cautious. I agree that aggressive play is important, but like everything it has to be used when it's appropriate and that's going to come down to the player's .... battle sense I guess I'll call it.

ASL Veteran sounds like he is a excellent player. he is the type that makes you pay if you have not sent out your leading scout units correctly and done correct recon before bringing up your main body of troops. But these things do not mean taking large chunks of time. recon can be aggressive if overwatch teams are where they need to be.

As for playing the AI, personnally not much until CMBN came out, now I do like the campaigns. And the last time I checked, its the only way to play them. No I have actively been playing H to H since 2004 and before that , the Close Combat series, before that ASL

I have played a few other excellent players over the years. each has his style. But I have only played against one person that I consider my better. And to tell you the truth he somehow manages to make fast coordinated attacks that I cannot come close to matching in speed. In general his play is more fluid than anyone else I have ever seen. Hardly matters the situation, he is constantly moving forces and has a excellent skill in knowing where to set them. Just has a great feel for what the battle is doing and is hard to deceive. Where as, those that play me, that know me have described my play to be like a Snake. Once I have the advantage, I rap my coils around them and slowly but constantly strangle the life out of them. I have taken that as a compliment.

To me ASL Veteran sounds like he has a good defensive backround that he is able to use in his play. Players like him are few also. The thing is, I know most players are weak on defensive skills. seldom it is I find one that shows real talent. It only takes one battle to see that in someones play. So in general, one does not need to worry about masterfully designed defensive tactics from most battles they are in.

But maybe the truth to what works depends on you, the person you are also. You have to find tactics that work for you but that also follow good logic. There is more than one way to play good offense. But they all follow good tactics if they are going to be consistantly successful.