2.0 Upgrade on unfinished projects

No way José, all of the old type CMBN battles and scenarios will be rendered unusable. This includes all of the original scenarios and campaigns that shipped with the game and CW module, so if you haven't played them yet now is your time! :P

I think the only reason to wait for the upgrade is the editor improvements. AI Plan copying etc. can save time, and twice as many AI groups means you have fewer limitations as well.

Does anyone know if it will be possible to have two different installations? One of the current and one for the 2.0? Or will there be a conflict with the license activation?

It was possible to have different patch installs, so this should certainly be possible - for CMBN.

Whether the new FI "enforced install location" will cause issues with different versions, is unknown.

This is going to be of concern for me (and Baneman) because we are about to start a new CMBN tourney that will likely go on for several months. During this time, it is almost certain that the 2.0 upgrade will be released, and I plan on upgrading. My CMBN install is in the default location: C: /USERS/DOUG/MY DOCUMENTS/BATTLEFRONT/COMBAT MISSION BATTLE FOR NORMANDY. So, I am assuming the 2.0 upgrade will leave it there. Now before I upgrade can I just copy the current CMBN folder to a different location so I can continue my inevitable PBEM games under version 1.10?

Now before I upgrade can I just copy the current CMBN folder to a different location so I can continue my inevitable PBEM games under version 1.10?

AIUI, you can copy the install folder willy-nilly to wherever you want. Everything the game needs to run is in the ..\combat Mission Battle For Normandy folder. All that might need to change are any shortcuts you use to start the game. So when the upgrade hits you'll be able to copy the v1 files somewhere else before you do the upgrade.

And you are speaking on behalf of the Lord High Programmer? ;) Anyway, that sounds like good news.

:)

Michael

Technically, everything I say is unofficial. Really, you should only be listening to Steve/Moon. But don't take my word for it, here's the word from the official announcement:

Upgrades are backwards compatible with all battles and campaigns, no matter who authored them or which units/terrain are used within them. Some Mods will work without modification, others may need to be updated to take advantage of game engine changes.