Easy? Mod request - fully transparent unit bases?

Hello guys,

I've spent several days now trying to make a alhpa channel for the bmps in Paint Shop Pro 8 without luck. What I'm trying to do is be able to take screenshots without the stupid nuclear flourescent unit base marker and the ability to remove it was deleted with CMx2. To have the unit data showing, the unit needs to be selected and then the screeny looks dumb. Should be a <1min mods for the guys with the know-how and proper software. (I also need it for CMSF, but the markers are the same size so should be usable.)

Please help?

Hey Rambler, you around? This would be right up your alley, buddy.

He did the alpha's on the red cross icon for me. For almost the same reason as you, nicer screen shots.

Mord.

I use Gimp2, it's free, good & easy to make an alpha channel, follow this tutorial as the same manner : open a bmp file, select magic wand, Left click on the area to hide, right click new menu, choose layer, transparency and then add an alpha channel and color to Alpha then validate and save! Pat.

Patboy: thanks, I'll check out GIMP2 ... whenever I'm not running the house on a generator (lst power here in VA again last night from big storms).

Yes, screeny with unit info still showing so I can make a unit manual (like I do for all CM games) without the base disc looking goofy.

Thanks,

Mike

payboy: thanks, I'll check out GIMP2 ... whenever I'm not running the house on a generator (lst power here in VA again last night from big storms).

Thanks,

Mike

We got hit last night too...About 40 mph winds. We were lucky though, the power stayed on.

Mord.

Making progress... Before I could only make it different size squares and would lose the A-Channel. I managed to make a green smiley face that is still a disc. I managed to make a doughnut with the Alpha channel reversed. I might be able to get it soon. Be nice if I could dock these toolbars somehow, but first things first.

Good work, man. I may need to bite the bullet and learn Gimp...at least until I acquire the newest version of Elements...LOL 2.0 is just a tad long in the tooth.

Yeah, please upload it. Little mods like these are very useful. If you haven't already check out Rambler's no red cross mod that's great for action shots.

Mord.

Yes, the cross is very helpful, but sucks for screenshots. I'll get that one too. I got GIMP 2.8. All four are done. I'll include the folders and batch files I made for easy switching between transparent and original. Uploaded to CMSF (CMBN later if it works, I'll check first). Thanks for all of your help. (Can't link to download until reviewed by admin)

ww2steel, another, perhaps simpler, way to get what you want is to make two screenshots, one with the unit selected, one with the unit deselected. After that you just combine them in Photoshop or Gimp or whatever you use.

At least, that's the way I'd do it.

I would think this not too hard to do. I don't think you will be able to get them totaly invisible, but should be able to get them very faint in that they are hardly noticeable. In photoshop try cutting away all of the color, then repaint it adjusting the paint to a few percent transparent. Then, just paint in the new transparent color with the brush. Not sure if this will work, but sounds like it may.