This ain't right.

Really just getting into the game. During a practice QB last night I noticed my panther tank firing from a reverse slope at targets way below the angle that it should have been able to depress the gun barrel. The barrel at maximum depression was still pointed skyward yet the tank was shooting at targets on a much lower slope. Should have been impossible. Is this common?

Really just getting into the game. During a practice QB last night I noticed my panther tank firing from a reverse slope at targets way below the angle that it should have been able to depress the gun barrel. The barrel at maximum depression was still pointed skyward yet the tank was shooting at targets on a much lower slope. Should have been impossible. Is this common?

yes this is common. if i remember well, this a known limitation of the model. it doesn't take into account maximum depression and elevation.

yes this is common. if i remember well, this a known limitation of the model. it doesn't take into account maximum depression and elevation.

Correct. The model simply calculates LOF from a point in space, which is as closely as I can tell the center of the turret at the elevation of the trunnions.

Yes, this is nothing new to CMBN. This has been discussed a lot. But really just read this:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/archive/index.php/t-90522.html

About a quarter the way down Steve from Battlefront spells it out. We can debate how hard it really is ad nauseum if you want...

But the rest of us have done that already:D

In MOST cases, this isn't an issue. Truly. However, in extreme terrain, you can "suspend disbelief" and imagine micro-terrain which allows the skilled tank driver to slope the vehicle so the gun can get on target. Even that falls apart, though, in very tight city fights. But, if you drive tanks in towns and streets with tall buildings AND enemy infantry up high, you'll soon lose the tank, making it moot.

Not great, but there you have it. (BTW, most folks take a lot longer to find this.)

I think it would be nice to have a FAQ thread where known and explained issues like this are listed. Those small things where the game does not work like in IRL, but it will probably stay this way because getting it right would use too many CPU cycles, programming would take too long or some other reason.