Combat Mission Names Lists are up !

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, yours must have been one of the names which was on that zipdisk I lost... I asked people who had sent it in previously to email me again .. Guess u missed that email..

Anyways, it's no problem I'll add Fisla in to the version i send to Charles. THIS is exactly why I am posting the names publicly. I want everyone to check and be sure their name is entered and entered properly.

Fisla will be in.

Cheers,

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Fionn

Hitler and Himmler

Please, please, please get rid of them. They have no place here, not even as a joke. And though there was others bearing these name, the names themselves are nevertheless to tainted by their more infamous representatives.

And...

Herr Oblt. Schweinhund?

Would be like having Capt. Bastard and Sgt. ****head fighting for the allied side.

Please, please, please.. again..

Otherwise all fine to me, of course my Polish and French are not what they should be smile.gif

M.

[This message has been edited by Mattias (edited 10-09-99).]

As I stated in an email Mattias Hitler and Himmler were common names in their respective regions of birth and would have been present throughout the German army.

Merely because people with those last names were in the leadership of the Third Reich is no reason to discriminate against those names. I didn't discriminate against names from other countries which were associated with massacres and I didn't do so for the German names either.

Of course, Charles has the final say and he may choose to exclude Hitler and Himmler but I won't be party to this ploughing under of common names although I will, of course, respect whatever Charles' opinion is.

Schweinhund is my own addition wink.gif... I was going to highlight it when sending to Charles (guess I won't have to now). It seems to me that it'll raise a wry chuckle when you see it as the name of a German leader without harming the rule that all names must be germanic. I put it in for a little fun and because I happen to know that the name Schweinhund was present as a last name in the Third Reich. Obviously Charles may choose to remove that one but personally I think it's chuckle value is worth allowing it to remain.

FWIW there are people in England whose last name is Bastard, there is also at least one person with a surname of TIT, in France there was a woman, at the end of the war, whose last name WAS Schweinhund (so Schweinhund is a REAL last name of a German who was alive during the war)... Also, in France there was a woman whose last name was "Couchon" which is the French for PIG..

So, you'd be surprised at the wide variety of real last names which seem like no-one would keep and Schweinhund is actually a real last name of a woman in Alsace-Lorraine (and hence her husband).

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Me, as a german leader, how nice smile.gif

Personally i think "Schwein(e)hund" is great. As Fionn said it will be funny to see such name in this game (whether or not he/she existed). I would say...let it in.

As for Schwein(e)hund. If Desertfox is from Germay, i'll shut up now. But i always thought that Schweinhund was just bad language. Schweinehund however, is actually a real existing animal. So when yer calling names it's Schweinhund, and if yer a tree-hugging-hippie it's Schweinehund smile.gif

Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate if everyone with a correction could email me with it since that way I am 100% certain it'll go in since I have a special folder set up which I'll go through when making the final list. If it ONLY appears here I can't give any guarantee it'll be fixed.

Well, it's up to Charles if Schweinehund goes in.. One MAJOR reason for posting the list is simply to ensure all spellings are correct. Missing an S or putting an S in for a Z in a polish name is all too easy so I want the people to check and email me with the corrections.

Please though, if you have a correction or suggestion (or a new name to add) just email me personally at fionnk@thegamers.net to be sure it will be entered ok?

And Desert is totally right about Wittman wink.gif. I figured that there was room for two alternative spellings in the German OOBs wink.gif.. Ever since I heard "von Kelly" wouldn't make it I added Wittman wink.gif *chuckle*.

Like I said, I don't think the names have to be a totally serious, po-faced affair. A little fun is allowed and so I approached eligibility with that in mind. Hence Schweinehund and Wittman both got in wink.gif

And, as I've said before, Charles has final say...

Richard, umm I probably put ur name in by mistake.. I'll fix it in the list I send to Charles.

With close to 600 names mistakes are bound to happen and it is to catch those that I posted the list..

So, could everyone who spots an error please just drop me an email and I'll make sure they're fixed.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Hey guys (Hallo Leute)

To clarify this: (Um das hier richtigzustellen)

1.) I am from Germany (Ich bin aus Deutschland)

2.) There is no animal known which is called Schwein(e)hund, especially not in Germany (Es ist kein Tier namens Schwein(e)hund bekannt, insbesondere nicht in Deutschland) (G)

3.) Schweinehund is a swearword, but as Fionn stated, it´s allowed and intended to have fun with this game (Schweinehund ist ein Schimpfwort, aber wie Fionn sagte, es ist erlaubt und beabsichtigt mit diesem Spiel Spaß zu haben)

Ich hoffe das reicht euch als Erklärung (I hope you are satisfied with this explanations)

Have a nuke free day (Einen atomwaffenfreien Tag wünsche ich)

DesertFox (Wüstenfuchs)

Guest L Tankersley

Or British Major (I think) Pine-Coffin, which sounds like a sick joke. But apparently there was an officer with that name that took part in the operation to take Pegasus Bridge.

Leland J. Tankersley

Just want to make a comment -- great job on the names Fionn. I actually got a little lump in my throat just seeing my uncle's name, Mastin, on the list. I can't imagine the effect it will have when I see him in action in CM. BTS, thanks for making the names a reality.

------------------

Fact is the enemy of truth. - Don Quixote

Guest Big Time Software

Just to pipe in here...

There will be NO "funny" names in the game. There will also be no recognizable historical figures either. Last thing we want is for a tank to be commanded by Unt. Goebbles or Sgt. Patton. This has nothing to do with the historical role of the figure, but rather that the names are not supposed to conjure up images of people outside of the game. That would detract from the atmosphere. If there is a particular historical figure someone wants for a scenario, that can be given to the unit in the game.

Unfortunately, not every name on Fionn's list will get in the game, even if it passes the above tests. There are only so many names the system can handle.

Steve

BTS, how many names (aprox) do you guys envision that it will support? I can't imagine that all the names (removing the "funny" ones) would take up all that much memory, but then again, last time I progromed was LOGO on an APPLE II in school (a long time ago...)