Question pertaining German SS uniforms

What is the difference between "german-waffenss-cammo-uniform" and "german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots"?

They both look the same when you expand the .brz file. Which SS units use which one?

Applying different SS uniform mods I duplicated each - is this necessary?

Yes that is the case Erwin but I don't know why there are two different uniform entries if the uniforms are the same?

To explain myself further I'll provide a simple case below.

Let's say I applied mod "A" with 3 different uniforms for SS units.

Step 1)

I named the following files like this:

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform,

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform 2,

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform 3

Step 2)

I used the same 3 files from "A" mod and named them:

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots,

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots 2,

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots 3

I'm wondering if "Step 2)" is really necessary in order to get those 3 different uniforms to appear in game? I'm sure you guys should know this - did newly applied uniforms appear if you just did step 1?

Vanilla does not give us any clues and as already said I'm wondering why there are two different texture entries if vanilla uniforms for each are clones?

Edit: patboy partly answered my question in another thread:

german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey #.bmp is for some afv crew

german-waffenss-uniform-black #.bmp is for panzer crew

german-waffenss-uniform-m43 #.bmp is for soldier wearing boots

german-waffenss-uniform-m43-ankle-boots #.bmp is for soldier wearing ankle boots

There are so many uniforms and helmet mods now that I do not know what to install and what not to install.

I would love for someone to post a break down of these mods so I can get a pretty decent mix of uniforms & helmets in game without writing over each over.

They will write over each other so you need to download each mod and when inserting each helmet/uniform in z folder make sure they do not overwrite each other. In order to "secure the perimeter" you have to ensure that you give proper number to each file from no added number (example: german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey.bmp) to next higher number (example: german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey 2.bmp, german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey 3.bmp, etc.).

Hope I made myself clear. if not just shout and I'll try to rephrase myself ;)

Yes that is the case Erwin but I don't know why there are two different uniform entries if the uniforms are the same?

To explain myself further I'll provide a simple case below.

Let's say I applied mod "A" with 3 different uniforms for SS units.

Step 1)

I named the following files like this:

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform,

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform 2,

german-waffenss-cammo-uniform 3

Step 2)

I used the same 3 files from "A" mod and named them:

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots,

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots 2,

german-uniform-waffenss-ankle-boots 3

I'm wondering if "Step 2)" is really necessary in order to get those 3 different uniforms to appear in game? I'm sure you guys should know this - did newly applied uniforms appear if you just did step 1?

Vanilla does not give us any clues and as already said I'm wondering why there are two different texture entries if vanilla uniforms for each are clones?

Edit: patboy partly answered my question in another thread:

Step 2) answered in the Mods thread...yes necessary, because it uses a different model with short boots and leggings.

Para, still causing trouble I see! If you want, I'll Zip file you my mixes...I have about a dozen different uniform variations for each type of German uniform(including some of my own making--pants/tunic mixes, some fading effects, worn German gear, etc.) that all reside happily in my SS, LW, and Heer folders. I never released any of my own German uniform mods because I thought Erwin would want them re-done. (Just kidding, Erwin!:D)

Lots of helmets too!

Step 2) answered in the Mods thread...yes necessary, because it uses a different model with short boots and leggings.

Para, still causing trouble I see! If you want, I'll Zip file you my mixes...I have about a dozen different uniform variations for each type of German uniform(including some of my own making--pants/tunic mixes, some fading effects, worn German gear, etc.) that all reside happily in my SS, LW, and Heer folders. I never released any of my own German uniform mods because I thought Erwin would want them re-done. (Just kidding, Erwin!:D)

Lots of helmets too!

Oi he offered em to me first :-) ..sweet mjkerner, you come to my rescue once again..you are my prince charming.

ps haven't you noticed that I have been keeping out of trouble lately?

They will write over each other so you need to download each mod and when inserting each helmet/uniform in z folder make sure they do not overwrite each other. In order to "secure the perimeter" you have to ensure that you give proper number to each file from no added number (example: german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey.bmp) to next higher number (example: german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey 2.bmp, german-waffenss-asg-uniform-grey 3.bmp, etc.).

Hope I made myself clear. if not just shout and I'll try to rephrase myself ;)

Cheers for the help Hister..I was hoping for a helpful soul to list a good selection of historically accurate uniforms and helmet mixes for all the combatants in Normandy.

One that does not conflict or keep overwriting each other.

As it happens mjkerner has offered something along these lines and i shall take him up on it.

You will have to renumber them regardless. Nearly all mods seem to be created with the numbers 2 and/or 3.

I must have well over a dozen helmet and uniform variants now esp for the german camo versions. So, some are renumbered up to... 20(!) I just checked my Z folder.

If they are in .brz files I always explode em, so one can see which are the better mods in game. But, I find most of the helmet and uniform mods are good. Which are historical and would be seen together in Normandy..?? Have little idea.

Sh*t, I wish the babes would fight over me as much as you guys!

Hister, depends on how you define "historically accurate". :)

OK, here's the deal:

75% of these are someone else's mods that I messed with, so I don't want to upload them to the Repo or CMMODS--too much hassle with getting permissions, etc. I have a bunch of the various SS uniforms and helmets jumbled together in one folder. I have a bunch of Heer uniforms and helmets jumbled together in another folder. I have some helmets with the LW eagle in a separate folder so that I can plop them into the Heer folder when I want that LW look. (I don't like gaming with actual LW units since companies are only two platoons strong.)

Thematically, so to speak, the uniforms are similar--SS is all darker/browner types, not some of the brighter yellowish and greenish colors of some of the mods; Heer unis are feldgrau/zeltbahn combos. I have dirtied-up the gear for the Heer, but haven't finished doing the same for ther SS gear. (I need to fade/dirty-up the blanket roll/zeltbahn, and mix/match different camo schemes for it.)

Helmets and unis are numbered consequtively, but if you don't like some, you can just delete them from the folder---except if you take out the one with the bmp name that doesn't have a number, or the ones that are numbered 2 or 3, you might then get the default uniform that comes with the game for type of uni. (I forget which, but the game comes with only one or two uniforms for the different German types.)

So Para, I think I still have the Dropbox you set up last month for the scenario I have yet to finish. I can drop them in there, and won't even have to zip them, correct?

Is there a way I can set up a DB for these so that you other guys can just grab them too? I am not very familier with how DB works.

Let me know. It will be a few hours before I can get back to this.

Para...you haven't joined battle yet in Normandy? I lost at Juno Beach, but took out 11 armored vehicles, so I don't have to lower my head in shame, at least. I'm in the Heraklion Campaign too. I thought you'd "jump" at the chance to "drop" in on us Jerries there!

Which are historical and would be seen together in Normandy..?? Have little idea.

Yeah, I figure that at least they are historically based, and I don't care that much if they would not have appeared quite so un-uniform in Normandy. By Market Garden, it was likely a different story. It certainly was for the Fallschirmjaeger...when we get those, there is ample room for variety.

I look at it this way: It's only a company or so in the first place, and they've been crawling around in the dirt and mud, in/through hedgerows, rained on, etc. Some time back, either in a rear area or moving to the Front, they happened upon a destroyed supply column/dump. So some took what they needed to replace unis and gear.

Problem solved! Plus, of course you are the only one that sees them: either you're playing solo, or in HtH, your opponent only sees you as he has his pixeltruppen set up. Win/win.:D

Sh*t, I wish the babes would fight over me as much as you guys!

Hister, depends on how you define "historically accurate". :)

OK, here's the deal:

75% of these are someone else's mods that I messed with, so I don't want to upload them to the Repo or CMMODS--too much hassle with getting permissions, etc. I have a bunch of the various SS uniforms and helmets jumbled together in one folder. I have a bunch of Heer uniforms and helmets jumbled together in another folder. I have some helmets with the LW eagle in a separate folder so that I can plop them into the Heer folder when I want that LW look. (I don't like gaming with actual LW units since companies are only two platoons strong.)

Thematically, so to speak, the uniforms are similar--SS is all darker/browner types, not some of the brighter yellowish and greenish colors of some of the mods; Heer unis are feldgrau/zeltbahn combos. I have dirtied-up the gear for the Heer, but haven't finished doing the same for ther SS gear. (I need to fade/dirty-up the blanket roll/zeltbahn, and mix/match different camo schemes for it.)

Helmets and unis are numbered consequtively, but if you don't like some, you can just delete them from the folder---except if you take out the one with the bmp name that doesn't have a number, or the ones that are numbered 2 or 3, you might then get the default uniform that comes with the game for type of uni. (I forget which, but the game comes with only one or two uniforms for the different German types.)

So Para, I think I still have the Dropbox you set up last month for the scenario I have yet to finish. I can drop them in there, and won't even have to zip them, correct?

Is there a way I can set up a DB for these so that you other guys can just grab them too? I am not very familier with how DB works.

Let me know. It will be a few hours before I can get back to this.

Para...you haven't joined battle yet in Normandy? I lost at Juno Beach, but took out 11 armored vehicles, so I don't have to lower my head in shame, at least. I'm in the Heraklion Campaign too. I thought you'd "jump" at the chance to "drop" in on us Jerries there!

mjkerner

I am still waiting for my orders or to be attacked in the Campaign. In the meantime I joined the domination and won my first battle. Yes stick em in the drop box no need to zip mj. Then send me the share link..check your pm's for my email address

cheers

p.s. I can share the files with the fellas for you if you wish? all they have to do is pm me their email addresses, saying they want the file and I will send the links to the drop-box to them. I did the same with the sound Fx file recently

pps the Heraklion is for the lame ;-p domination is where it is at!

Okay, problem. It's taking forever for the folders to load into DB...maybe they are too large? (Most of the bmp files have little circluar arrows in a blue circle background in the bottom left corner. A few have check mark in green circle).

I zipped them just in case, but is still taking forever.

I think I have your email, Para, so I'll send them that way.

Hister and Rocky, PM your emails to me and I'll send 'em.

mj

Okay, problem. It's taking forever for the folders to load into DB...maybe they are too large? (Most of the bmp files have little circluar arrows in a blue circle background in the bottom left corner. A few have check mark in green circle).

I zipped them just in case, but is still taking forever.

I think I have your email, Para, so I'll send them that way.

Hister and Rocky, PM your emails to me and I'll send 'em.

mj

The green check means files have uploaded successfully and the ones with the circle mean still uploading mjkerner. Depending on your internet speed some take longer than others and obviously the size of the file makes a a difference to the time it takes to upload.

Patience is a virtue so i have been told :-p

OK, sorted and in the Dropbox. There is a Heer uniform and a WaffenSS uniform, and separate helmet and gear folders for each of them. Take the contents of the helmets and gear files and put them into the respective Heer/WfnSS files. Pop into your data/z file, and should be good to go.