Forward Operators

Yeah I also learned how important FO were when calling in Arty.

Most unit HQ can call in any Arty when available, however only FO can call in the BIG stuff.. as I learned with the Germans.

I had 4 Mortar batteries, 1 150mm Battery and a 150mm Nebelwerfer Battery...and only the FO could call in the Rocket Battery.. all other HQ units it said DENIED.

so be careful with your FO's. Not sure how it is for the American and Brits calling in Offshore batteries with normal HQ units.. maybe no issue.

Maybe it was just the scenerio I was playing "Loyalty is my Honor" but only the FO had comm's with the Rocket Battery... all other HQ units were denied.

so be careful with your FO's. Not sure how it is for the American and Brits calling in Offshore batteries with normal HQ units.. maybe no issue.

I think most of the larger guns and air support are realistically modeled to require forward observers due to them being tasked out for divisional levels or higher. You wouldn't want a butter bar calling in naval guns because he thinks he heard a gunshot.

• 2 weeks later...

FO's also won't work once the radioman and observer are taken out, so make sure they hunker down safe and sound and don't get into a fire fight. Got caught out in a CW scenario where I had my FO in what I thought was a nice safe place, concealed, away from the action but with good line of sight. The first fighting that occurred was a German patrol stumbling across them and wiping them out. C'est la guerre.