Complete Newbie

Hello Gentlemen, I am a complete newbie to CM, and have got the demo (CM-BN) and am getting to terms with the game controls. I know that these things take time to learn but there is one aspect that is irritating me. How do I stop a unit shooting at a target once they have commenced fire? I have looked for a "Stop firing" button but can't find it. I know that as soon as I'm told my reaction will be "of course, should have realised!" but can't see it. So far I love this game and look forward to many hours of play with the full game.

cheers

Welcome!

You can use the Cancel Target order to have a unit stop targeting actively the previously designated target. Now units in CM BN will by default fire to any enemy unit in range if left to their own devices, so this may not prevent your unit from firing. The best way to control what units fire up to or not is via the "Target Arc" order. If you restrict it to the distance and area you need you may avoid firing into unwanted targets.

Also Hiding a unit may prevent it from firing at all unless an enemy unit steps on it.

You can use "supr" key to cancel a fire order...

I recomend you tu write "some advices" at the search tool to look for treads for people how are begining like you. I give you one of those post:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=103151&highlight=Some+advices

You have a wikipédia too:

http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Bogging

Welcome and have fun!

How do I stop a unit shooting at a target once they have commenced fire?

One of the facets of this game is that you can give an order tor pixeltruppen, but as in real life, they may ignore or disobey you.

For example "Hide" - if your troops are of good morale and well trained (elite/veteran/etc)

they will hold fire on an advancing enemy until the last minute. And because they are well trained, whilst hiding they won't fidget, drop weapons, stand up and relieve themselves on the nearest tree and thus will not be as spotted as soon as a bunch of green incompitent nitwits who empty a couple of mags in the general direction of the enemy (who is out of range), give away their position and then cower dribbling with funk at the bottom of their trench.

Same as Assault/Move/Quick etc - if you send your lads into a kill zone, they soon loose interest in what you want them to do and it may take a while before their moral improves and they trust you enough to listen to what you are telling them.

Once you have got the hang of the controls my one BIG piece of advice would be to exercise patience. This is not a clicky zoomy game and banzai charges don't get you far in Normandy.

Have fun and welcome to the Legion of the Lost Weekends.

Welcome. You've touched on a very important topic. Play with TARGET and TARGET LIGHT. To cancel those orders you can use a TARGET ARC or FACE. I'm not sure how much of this is discussed in detail in the manual, but there are, at last count, oodles of threads on this, and related, subjects.

The TacAI will need a pretty strong reason to override your commands. A TARGET ARC, just short of the enemy, should get your men to stop shooting.

Good luck!

Ken

Once the basic commands are learned people often ask about tactics. Really, the best is to google real-world army infantry tactics manuals. There's lots out there in PDF form. If nothing else they'll warn against rounding the crest of a bald hill in a buttoned tank with no infantry support. :)