Tactics for the British

well, "target light" is not going to use heavy weapons. Try "target".

Does that apply to tanks?

It would be lovely to use my tanks MGs to suppress without using the big guns...if my attacking infantry run too quick they end up getting blasted or shaken by the effects of my own shot.

Does that apply to tanks?

It would be lovely to use my tanks MGs to suppress without using the big guns...if my attacking infantry run too quick they end up getting blasted or shaken by the effects of my own shot.

Yes, it applies to tanks. Target light should use MGs only.

Noticed there are two versions of the 6 lbr. The 57mm 43cal and the 57mm 50cal. I also noticed the APCR 6lbr rounds are available for the 50cal version. Amazing attention to detail. This was part of a Polish Batt TOE. Did the Brits and Canadians use the same exact TOE, or are their differences??? I am not able to be in game to check it myself, so figured I would ask around.

Brits and Poles had Cromwell, Canadians went completely with the Sherman. Not entirely sure why it worked out like that. Otherwise they had very similar TOE's.

Only the 7th Armoured Division was fully equipped with Cromwells, while in the Polish 1st Armoured Division only the 10th Polish Mounted Rifle Regiment was fitted with the Croms, for reconnaissance. There just weren't so many Cromwells built to equip more units - altogether some 4000 Cromwells were built compared to some 50,000 Shermans. (For a German comparison, they made around 6000 Panthers.)

Only the 7th Armoured Division was fully equipped with Cromwells, while in the Polish 1st Armoured Division only the 10th Polish Mounted Rifle Regiment was fitted with the Croms, for reconnaissance.

11th and Guards Armd Divs also both had Croms in their Armd Recce Regts.

Nik,

Is the 57mm L43 supposed to penetrate the tiger and panther front armour?”

Firing the tungsten rounds yes for the Tiger I and no for the Panther. Up to medium range.

However the above is the norm only. You may get the odd bounce against the Tiger and the odd penetration against the Panther. Note the 6pdr firing tungsten rounds has a greater penetration than the US 76mm Sherman gun or 3 inch M10 gun firing their standard APCBC/AP rounds.

All fun stuff,

All the best,

Kip.

Thanks for clarifying, Jon, what I was trying to say was that only one division had nothing but Cromwells. This interface ('English') just is really buggy, it seems. No operator error.

If I were to speculate a little bit on why the Polish got Cromwells and Canadians didn't, the Poles were stationed in Britain so it made more sense to train them to use the local vehicle than shipping Centaurs/Cromwells to Canada. As for why Poles were given Cromwells instead of equipping another British recce regiment with them, I don't actually have any idea.

@Nik_B Just did a little test against the Panther and Tiger at a range just over 1000 metres. I can report that the APDS rounds are certainly capable of penetrating both Tiger and Panther armour at this range in game. The Tiger recieved more penetrations than the Panther, however the after armour effects of these rounds are very poor. They would also appear to be noticeably less accurate than the standard AP rounds (which did not penetrate).

No operator error.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that was the case.

The British used a plethora of vehicles and organisations. Trying to keep it all straight for any given moment in time is hard - I long ago gave up trying to remember who used which model of Sherman.

As for why Poles were given Cromwells instead of equipping another British recce regiment with them, I don't actually have any idea.

FWIW, all the British armd recce regts in NWE were equipped with Cromwell. I don't know about the UK Armd Div in Italy (6th?), but I suspect it probably had Sherman - having just a single regt of the things in a theatre doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Poles probably got Croms for their Armd Recce Regt because that was seen as a better recce tank - smaller, lower, faster, but with a gun and armour as good as the Sherman.

Most of the substantive training the Canadians got in armour was conducted in England (and they bought their own armd vehs with them from Canada, although the RAMs never got used in combat as gun tanks), so I don't know why they /didn't/ get Croms for the South Alberta Regt. Maybe it had something to do with a quirk of Lend Lease?