Complete Edition?

RAYMAN

Plus, I know it's not the answer you want to hear but, try to find any other games with so much longevity, so many hours of gameplay, supplemented by the hundreds and hundreds of hours additionally created by the community.

It's well worth the money spent and even then calculates out to better value for the dollar than anything else out there. That is if you are a true wargamer and really do enjoy the games. If you do, there is nothing better or more valuable.

Paradox Interactive makes grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria) that are just as niche as anything available here, but drops the price in half within 6 months, then puts them on sale for less than $10 on a semi-regular basis. Not to mention that the starting price for their games is usually $40. The hardcore fans buy in at release for the higher price, then curious and patient fans get the game at the reduced price, finally, they pick up impulse buyers with the insanely low prices during short term sales. They seem to be doing quite well with that model.

I for one would love to play CM:A (I already have the full CMSF set), but not for $35. Put that gem on sale for $20 or less and I wouldn't be able to resist. I'm also very tempted by the Strategic Command games, but, again, not for the current asking price.

Oh believe me, spend enough time on the Victoria and Europa Universalis boards and you will find that those guys have just as much of an obsession with history as anyone here. Especially when you get into discussions on the merits of some obscure revolution in 1500's southeast Asia, and whether it should be implemented into the game :D

Paradox Interactive makes grand strategy games (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Victoria) that are just as niche as anything available here, but drops the price in half within 6 months, then puts them on sale for less than $10 on a semi-regular basis. Not to mention that the starting price for their games is usually $40. The hardcore fans buy in at release for the higher price, then curious and patient fans get the game at the reduced price, finally, they pick up impulse buyers with the insanely low prices during short term sales. They seem to be doing quite well with that model.

Yeah, even Eagle Dynamics puts their sims on sale periodically. I bought DCS A-10C during one of their two weeks sales. I was on the fence at $60 wondering if it would be something I would enjoy, but at $40 I couldn't refuse.

I think it's interesting BFC is still selling TOW for nearly full price when you can get it on Steam for 10 bucks...

However, I like BFCs bundle deals. In fact, I'll probably hold off on the CMBN modules until they're done to see if there will be a deal when buying them all together. I still have the majority of CMSF and CMBN to play through, so that should keep me busy until then. I think that money will instead go towards the A-10C expansions coming out soon (Combined Arms and Nevada).

afaik A-10C has always been around 60 bucks. I haven't seen it any higher anyway. Maybe you're thinking of Steel Beasts Pro PE? That one's over a $100. Anyway, A-10C is available for $40 right now over at their website ;). Money WELL spent. Can't recommend it enough. It's difficult, but there are training missions that ship with the game, a bunch of vid tuts on youtube and a lot of supplemental guides available at their forums that are invaluable when learning. The manual that comes with it is also very good.

I for one would love to play CM:A (I already have the full CMSF set), but not for $35. Put that gem on sale for $20 or less and I wouldn't be able to resist. I'm also very tempted by the Strategic Command games, but, again, not for the current asking price.

CMA is worth $50, especially if you add the cool campaign(s) that have been released by Fredrocker.

Watch the sales on Steam, the DCS games pop up every month or two. A-10 has gone for as low as $20. I have the manuals for both on my Kindle and read them between classes. I hope to one day actually engage and destroy a target :P

Any of you guys play Steel Beasts Pro PE? It looks sick but my brain just won't let me spend that kind of money on one thing, and doesn't even have a demo to try it out first. I already have ArmA 2, which is more of a sim-lite in comparison, but at least gives you a taste of everything on the battlefield. ArmA 3 is out this year as well and promises to fix the various problems that the series has carried over from the original Operation Flashpoint. Also, railguns. :D

You can get the PDF of the manual from the DCS website for free. PDF's can be a royal pain to read on a Kindle, so use Calibre to convert them into the standard MOBI format (it's easy) and then they will work just like any other book.

I think you can set up Calibre to email the file to your Kindle automatically, but I couldn't get it to work so I just use a USB cable. Just put the file in the right folder and you're done.

Any of you guys play Steel Beasts Pro PE? It looks sick but my brain just won't let me spend that kind of money on one thing, and doesn't even have a demo to try it out first.

I haven't played Pro PE, but I have played the original Steel Beasts. I'm sure there are some similarities between the two. It was well done and I can tell they did their homework on the functionality of the tanks they modeled. It wasn't really my thing though. I found it to be kind of boring tbh. I couldn't justify spending $125 on Pro PE due to my SB experience. If you can find a copy of the original SB, that might be a good indicator as to whether or not you want to drop the change on Pro PE. You may love it.

I haven't played Pro PE, but I have played the original Steel Beasts. I'm sure there are some similarities between the two. It was well done and I can tell they did their homework on the functionality of the tanks they modeled. It wasn't really my thing though. I found it to be kind of boring tbh. I couldn't justify spending $125 on Pro PE due to my SB experience. If you can find a copy of the original SB, that might be a good indicator as to whether or not you want to drop the change on Pro PE. You may love it.

Steel Beasts Pro PE rocks, best modern tank sim out there. You can even play it as a wargame with large Battalion plus size engagements. I just got the latest upgrade that has a crewable t-72m1 and played for a month straight. My only complaint is that there is no crewable M1A2 SEP, the most advanced tank that is crewable is the swedish / spanish versions of the Leopard 2 A6. I would love to have a M1A2 SEP in steel beasts just to see the worlds best tank in action. The crewable version in steel beast now is the M1A1 HA.

The thing with Price is tough to get over but you will keep and play the game for over a decade, esim releases new content every year, constanly improving it. There are hundreds of senarios, great MP community, and one of the best editors i've seen in a game.

Money well spent in my book. Now if they would just make a crewable M1A2.