Copy of CMBN for $40 (Selling due to RL time demands)

(This email has been edited to reflect an information update from Battlefront. Thanks.)

CMBN is the best video game I have ever played, and I hate to miss the CW module, but RL time demands are forcing me to give up gaming. If I ever free up again, I can buy a new copy, but I wanted to offer mine to players who would like to get into the game at a reduced price and get up to speed on things for when the Commonwealth module comes out.

Here are the details:

Total price: $40 USD (includes shipping and an SD card).

Method of delivery: SD card via regular mail with online delivery confirmation.

(SD is a newly purchased micro with standard adapter combo, worth five bucks itself.)

Shipping is included in the price (yes, free shipping!).

Status of Activations: 2 activations used since purchase in late May of 2011. This leaves 2 free activations. The new owner should be able to add 1 new activation after the third week of this coming May.

Method of Payment: PayPal (we can set it up via email).

So, to sum up, for a total of $40 USD, you are getting the full game with 2 activations now and another after the third week of May, a $5 micro SD with standard SD adapter and free shipping, including online delivery confirmation.

Once I have confirmed that the new owner has received the game and successfully installed and activated it, I will of course, delete my copy and all backups and eLicense info from my files.

If you are interested, please PM me on this forum and we can take it from there.

Thanks!

Macisle

To be accurate about the activations left. There is no way of "returning one" with the current Online Activation System. If you used up two activations with two installations, then there are two activations left. Reformatting a computer with the game installed and activated will NOT release the activation. That also does NOT work with eLicense (the previous copy-protection system used with CMSF and other games). eLicense does however have an unlicensing feature that the new system does not. With the Online Activation System as soon as you use an activation, it is used and cannot be 'regained' for the license key.

You are correct however that an additional activation can be added by the purchaser on the anniversary of the purchase date (http://www.battlefront.com/activate). And once every 365 days after that. If other issues make you use up your activations, we can also add them on request when you submit a ticket to the Helpdesk.

Schrullenhaft,

Thank you very much for the info update. Sorry for the confusion on my part. I have edited my original post to reflect your correction.

(And FYI, it was uninstalled the from the old computer, prior to reformatting the HD. That laptop couldn't run it well anyway and it was uninstalled probably June-July of last year.)

Macisle

Not interested in the purchase, since I have my own copy, but I do have a related question. I have the collector's edition CD, but, not wanting to wait on the CD to arrive, I, of course, installed CMBN on the day it was released via downloading it. Now, since I have the CD sitting on the shelf, and the licence key that was e-mailed to me, and the original EXE file that I downloaded saved on a thumb drive, do I still have to worry about "activations" and "deactivations" if I were to, for instance, need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows?

Again, CMBN uses a new copy-protection system that we call 'Online Activation System' it does not have an unlicense/unregistration system. If you use an activation, it is used on that computer. So as soon as you activate on a computer, you now have three remaining activations. If you make changes to that computer, such as certain hardware upgrades or an OS upgrade/reinstall, then it is possible that that activation may become 'invalidated' and you would have to activate again, using up an additional activation. Each install (on a different computer/OS) and subsequent activation will use up an activation, reducing your total available count. You can reinstall multiple times on the same computer without having to activate again (including uninstalling and then reinstalling), unless you make hardware or OS changes.

The previous copy-protection system, eLicense, has an unlicense function. If you unlicense an install, then you can make hardware changes and OS upgrades/reinstalls and preserve the activations (of which there are two for each eLicense game). However when you experience a virus/trojan or hardware issue that damages your OS installation and you have to start over (new hardware, new installation), then that activation is 'lost' since you were unable to unlicense it. That is the general idea behind having two activations available with the eLicense games, to continue to use the game when you suffer unexpected problems with your computer. That is also the same reasoning used with the Online Activation System's initial 4 activations. The idea is to keep one installation working consistently through possible problems an user can experience (rather than having multiple installs available, though that is allowed).

With eLicense games we can usually 'reset' the license key to provide for another activation, though we will usually do this when you have run out of activations. For the Online Activation System we can add an activation on request if you have managed to accidentally run out of activations.

(This email has been edited to reflect an information update from Battlefront. Thanks.)

CMBN is the best video game I have ever played, and I hate to miss the CW module, but RL time demands are forcing me to give up gaming.

Macisle

You have my full sympathy. RL job travel has kept me from a decent h2h game with my normal opponents and I am feeling pretty bad that I am letting them down. Just no way I can maintain a game with this schedule. I at least do eventually have an end in sight. Hope your situation changes as it isn't so much just the game but your personal space you are losing. Life is short and I want my CMBN time!

Again, CMBN uses a new copy-protection system that we call 'Online Activation System' it does not have an unlicense/unregistration system. If you use an activation, it is used on that computer. So as soon as you activate on a computer, you now have three remaining activations. If you make changes to that computer, such as certain hardware upgrades or an OS upgrade/reinstall, then it is possible that that activation may become 'invalidated' and you would have to activate again, using up an additional activation. Each install (on a different computer/OS) and subsequent activation will use up an activation, reducing your total available count. You can reinstall multiple times on the same computer without having to activate again (including uninstalling and then reinstalling), unless you make hardware or OS changes.

So, if I understand you correctly, the fact that I have the CD and the downloaded EXE file saved to a thumb drive is really irrelevant. Since I have installed once, I have three activations left at this time. I assume that by "activation" you mean that the software will accept the license key that you e-mailed me three more times.

So, if I decide to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows, as I do on occasion, it *will not* matter whether or not I uninstall CMBN before reformatting. After reformatting, when I enter the license key again, it will use up another activation, leaving me with two.

For the Online Activation System we can add an activation on request if you have managed to accidentally run out of activations.

So, when I use up all of my activations through hardware/OS upgrades and reinstalls, you will give me another one. That's good to know. Just don't go out of business! ;-)

So, if I understand you correctly, the fact that I have the CD and the downloaded EXE file saved to a thumb drive is really irrelevant. Since I have installed once, I have three activations left at this time. I assume that by "activation" you mean that the software will accept the license key that you e-mailed me three more times.

So, if I decide to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows, as I do on occasion, it *will not* matter whether or not I uninstall CMBN before reformatting. After reformatting, when I enter the license key again, it will use up another activation, leaving me with two.

Yes what is on the CD is no different to what you download, or what you have on your thumb drive. You could install from any of these media onto 100 computers but only an activated copy will work.

If your hardware was the same, I'd imagine there would be some files or settings that you could backup and the DRM would still "pass" the system as being the same when it checked whatever it checks. That is a real WAG though.

Well, that didn't turn out like I thought...

I just pre-ordered the Commonwealth module!

I was going to ebay CMBN and had "one for the road" this weekend. That reminded me just how one-of-a-kind awesome this game really is.

And so, since no one stepped in to be a a Sir Lancelot to my Galahad, I'm just going to have to stay at Castle Anthrax and face the peril of time spent gaming.

Oh well, wish me luck on time-management and bring on the Brits and gang!

Macisle