Bug with German HT's

I have a strange bug during my PBEM game. I gave order to two of my HTs - Quick forward. While one of it executed it correctly, other is dismounted (!) it's crew and passengers. Then crew run according to the Quick command. Passengers stay near dismounted HT. At previous turn this happened with another HT at the same area. Both HTs were undamaged, not in panic or something.

Here is the pic

bugez.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

In the circle - HT that were dismounted at previous turn, it/s crew returning to it. At the center of picture - HT that dismounted right now and it's crew started long run. Bottom - HT that responded correctly.

I always suspected it was because I accidentally hit the wrong shortcut. Might be the case here as well

This was my first opinion too. But when it happened again, I was 100% sure about that I gave correct order.

More than this, in WEGO mode you just can't make both order (Dismount and Quick) during same turn! At first turn you dismount the crew, at the second you can order them to move. Am I correct?

You can order DISMOUNT and a movement in the same WEGO turn. I bet that is what you did accidentally. I have never had this problem and I have played a lot.

basically, if you order a vehicle to move and then give passengers a movement order, the passengers will move after the vehicle stops. if you order DISMOUNT and then a vehicle move (and/or a passenger move), the passengers will dismount FIRST (and move if so ordered) and then the vehicle will move. BAIL OUT gets everyone out of the vehicle, and a movement order will then be followed by the crew and passengers.

You can order DISMOUNT and a movement in the same WEGO turn. I bet that is what you did accidentally. I have never had this problem and I have played a lot.

Really? I thought this was only true if they were passengers (i.e their icon shows separately) rather than for drivers and crew, as a MG team would be in an otherwise empty Jeep or the driver and gunner from a half track.

Ok. I found the problem. Before I give a move order to HT, I give a cancel target order. But, I suppose, at this moment Special commands menu was open, not Combat command menu. And the same button (and, of course, hotkey) in Command menu is Clear Target while in Special menu - Dismount!!!

Pic

d6900954.jpg

So this is my fault. But user menu may be a little bit more friendly ;)

And of course I must have a possibility to cancel ANY given command. Now, if I mistakenly press Dismount, I simply must wait until next turn :(

Isn't the hotkey [ for dismount and J for clear target...?

Yes, but in some cases it seems that a hotkey for a command also "works" for another command on a different menu where the button is in the same position. For example, on the Movement menu the "hunt" command is in the same position as "bail out" on the Special menu. If you're in the Special menu and you absent mindedly hit "k" expecting to be able to set a movement waypoint for hunting forward you'll likely find you've just ordered your guys to bail out. This doesn't seem to happen with all commands, just those that sod's law dictates will be most annoying. :)

I picked up the habit in CMSF of hitting "N" for move before hitting any movement key because it switches you to that menu no matter which menu you are currently in, and I hit "T" for target before issuing any target command for the same reasons. Bit of a pain but it works. I seem to use the mouse for the Special and Admin menus, unless issuing the "deploy weapon" order.

Hotkeys bad.

Mouse good.

I do things wrong almost every time I use hotkeys. With the mouse I am forced to LOOK at what I am doing.

I only have to abandon a gun once to learn that lesson. ;)

Or dismount your Panther/Tiger right before that kill shot opportunity comes along... not that I've ever done that, no siree...

So, this seems to be a bug with user menu. Because I suppose that when I hit hotkey unit must do something according to this particular hotkey, regardless of what kind of menu is open.

In other words, if I press J key, I must be completely sure that this forces unit to hold fire, not to dismount. And when I press [ button, unit must dismount, not break fire, isn't it? :rolleyes:

You do realize that you can configure the hotkeys file to do just that? It's the "absolute" hotkeys section of the file. Works like a charm - I never understood the merit of the "relative" hotkeys system. Makes things real confusing, as I guess some of you have noticed...