Operation(s) relating to German Campaign?

Which operations of the ones I listed above did the 2.Panzer Division take part in?

Thanks,

Gerry

A first overview can be found here (maybe not the most groggish of sources):

http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=748

As the 2nd PzDiv was employed right at the junction between the US 1st Army and the 2n British Army, the choice to do a campaign based on it for the Commonwealth module seems a little bit odd.

The most notable action against Commonwealth forces seems to have been the participation of elements of 2nd PzDiv in the fight at Villers-Bocage.

It is nice to hear that there will be a german campaign. I would have expected any "core force" other than the 2nd PzDiv, to be honest, especially since the Waffen SS will be introduced in this module and quite some of the Waffen SS formations were heavily engaged against the Commonwealth forces (most notably the 12th SS, of course).

But maybe somebody can provide some more information about 2nd PzDiv and its relevance to the fighting against the 2nd British Army.

But maybe somebody can provide some more information about 2nd PzDiv and its relevance to the fighting against the 2nd British Army.

Read to the bottom of that article's entry on 2.Panzer-Division and note that the campaign takes place during Operation Tractable.

Read to the bottom of that article's entry on 2.Panzer-Division and note that the campaign takes place during Operation Tractable.

Thanks, Normal Dude.

Like I said, it is good to have a german campaign created for the module.

So the campaign will center on the efforts of 2nd PzDiv against St. Lambert-sur-Dive, as can be seen in the following links?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hill_262_20_Aug_1944.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_262

Thanks, Normal Dude.

Like I said, it is good to have a german campaign created for the module.

So the campaign will center on the efforts of 2nd PzDiv against St. Lambert-sur-Dive, as can be seen in the following links?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hill_262_20_Aug_1944.svg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_262

The campaign follows a few events within the later days of the Falaise Pocket, of which St. Lambert-sur-Dives is one of them. I picked this setting because of the variety of forces I could pit against the player within a short time period, the fact that it's one of the few large scale German movements that takes place over a period of time suitable for a campaign that didn't result in them getting completely clobbered, as well as an opportunity (i.e. excuse) to put together a diverse German ad-hoc force. The setting provides an ideal environment for the campaign idea I had in mind in other ways as well. 2.Panzer-Division is chosen as the player's parent force, but he quickly picks up units from other forces as well, including some SS. The campaign is semi-historical in that it follows the timeline of the pocket closely and most of the battles in it are based on real battles/events, but I've twisted some details to suit the campaign and game play.

And that's about all I'll say on that for now. ;)

The campaign follows a few events within the later days of the Falaise Pocket, of which St. Lambert-sur-Dives is one of them. I picked this setting because of the variety of forces I could pit against the player within a short time period, the fact that it's one of the few large scale German movements that takes place over a period of time suitable for a campaign that didn't result in them getting completely clobbered, as well as an opportunity (i.e. excuse) to put together a diverse German ad-hoc force. The setting provides an ideal environment for the campaign idea I had in mind in other ways as well. 2.Panzer-Division is chosen as the player's parent force, but he quickly picks up units from other forces as well, including some SS. The campaign is semi-historical in that it follows the timeline of the pocket closely and most of the battles in it are based on real battles/events, but I've twisted some details to suit the campaign and game play.

Why would you need an excuse to put together a diverse ad-hoc force? I never understood the fascination of some scenario designers with the 'one of each'- approach. I'm sorry to say I'm not looking forward to this particular campaign. Harsh comment, before I have even seen the campaign, I know, but there are so many much more interesting subjects for German campaign and since it is the only one we will be getting with the Commonwealth module I feel obliged to say it. Let's hope others will fill this breach.

Why would you need an excuse to put together a diverse ad-hoc force? I never understood the fascination of some scenario designers with the 'one of each'- approach. I'm sorry to say I'm not looking forward to this particular campaign. Harsh comment, before I have even seen the campaign, I know, but there are so many much more interesting subjects for German campaign and since it is the only one we will be getting with the Commonwealth module I feel obliged to say it. Let's hope others will fill this breach.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you enjoy the other campaigns.

I was to late to remove my harsh comment, Normal Dude. Sorry about that. It is just personal taste, but I could have said in somewhat nicer. You can't please them all and I'm sure you make a splendid job of it.

I always try to remember that things appear harsher than they are meant on the internet. I do it myself all the time. ;) I realize that the setting won't be to everyone's taste. Hopefully those particular folks can look past that and enjoy the scenarios themselves as the tactical problems they represent.

Sounds good. :)

Thank you very much for the effort, I know it is a huge amount of work.

Im lookin forward to all of it. As it is, ill be glad for any German campaign. The one that game with CMBN I burned through in the first couple of days.

It was a long wait until my fav. Die Letze Hoffnung (sp..?)

I started A Bloody Ride and the first battle is definitely interesting, and surprisingly somewhat challenging.

Anyways designers will fill the gaps of course. I was very surprised to hear the Brit/Commonwealth campaign didnt cover some other operations I expected to hear it would.

Regardless I really hope someone recreates the CMBO scenario The Sunken Lane. That was a fantastic battle ( i still remember it 12 years later.. ) and would be even greater now with the 1:1 soldier representation.

From the links provided here, it looks like they were an experienced unit by the time they got to Normandy. Spent 41-43 on East Front. So maybe someone will do a campaign for them in that location also when we get to the East Front. Would be a nice way of linking formations and history.

Gerry

meh, to be honest, campaigns are not why I buy Combat Mission games. Granted, they are amazing for the most part, but I play a lot of QBs to use the forces that I want to use. When I get tired with that, I will play a few missions, either stock or community made, then I may give a campaign a mission or two, then back to the QBs and editor built QBs. When the folks at BF go through the process of building a campaign, I trust their judgement that it will be entertaining. The only time that mission building was not quite mature enough was the original Shock Force. We are now 3 modules and 1 more base game past that, almost on to the 1st module for the second game in the CMx2 series, and mission/campaign building has been refined to an art. I am excited to play anything they send me!!!

I've played every campaign thats come out, except the CMSF British forces module. They.re all good. However my favorite designer has to be Paper Tiger. All of his missions and campaigns are works of art. Road to Dinas remains the only red vs red SF campaign, and its great. Road to Montebourge is exceptional, and brilliant because it's nice and long.

as far as third party, who else could be named first except FM_Blucher. Devil's Descent is universally known as one of the best CMBN campaigns, I remember I didnt get up until I had finished it when I first downloaded it. And he also filled the glaring hole of only one German campaign with Die Letzte Hoffnung, which I had the pleasure of play testing for him.

Yeah. That'd be awesome. PBEM campaigns. it'd take forever to finish but I'd be down. It'd be great. I play against the AI, but its not the same as a human at all. that being said, the continuity and idea of campaigns has always been one of the things I go after in any war game, whether its flying planes, lurking in a submarine, commanding troops, etc.