Quick Battle Setups/House Rules?

I know that quick battles can rapidly become very unbalanced if there are not some kind of agreements/understandings made ahead of time.

What are some of those? I have commonly heard of no prep artillery barrages in known setup zones....

How about force mixes? What's a good 'understanding' as far a choosing your forces so that it works out fairly? I'm interested in doing a primarily infantry with a little armor support... Is it enough to simply agree to that?

Any advice is appreciated...

Ken

My favorite setup for QB is 1 company of infantry + 1-2 support platoons (pioneers, recon, etc), a limited amount of arty, and 3-4 tanks. From my experience most people seem to enjoy something along those lines. I guess it just depends on you and your opponent.

No arty on the setup zones is pretty much universal.

No arty on the setup zones is pretty much universal.

I just want to qualify that, you can plot artillery on set up zones as long as you are the attacker, if you are the defender you still can but there has to be a delay, that gives your opponent at least 5 minutes to clear their original zone/s, also in CMBN you can buy fortifications and TRP's for meeting engagements which old CM didn't allow, so i would advise a gentleman's agreement to not buy any fortification item or TRP for a meeting engagement.

I would also ban hedgehog obstacles as there is no counter measure to them, mines and wire are okay though as mines can be destroyed by artillery over 150 mm calibre and wire can be destroyed with tracked vehicles driving through them and artillery / mortars over 105 mm.

I just want to qualify that, you can plot artillery on set up zones as long as you are the attacker, if you are the defender you still can but there has to be a delay, that gives your opponent at least 5 minutes to clear their original zone/s

Yes, I should have said "Universal in meeting engagements". I don't think I've ever played anything besides that in QB though.

The ghost of Fionn still stalks us. :)

With the 'mixed' setting we have, it may help to paint some broad strokes before purchase between opponents.

Some folks may want to break paradigms by buying nothing but mines and LMG teams.

Or the defender who buys TRPs, arty and three FOs.

Usually some agreement along the lines of "let's keep force ratios reasonable/realistic" should suffice for most people.

-

Silly rules. No rules in war.

That is true, however we are not playing a war but individual battles that are played to test the tactical skills of the participants, which is best done with a contest of two relatively well matched forces where each side has an equal chance of winning, who wants to watch or play a contest that's one sided or uses gamey tactics, I for one don't, and I imagine the majority of the community don't, that's why these "rules" are formulated.

There's rules and then there's guys that sound like their putting out a sex ad on Craig's List..."5000 pt, no first round arty douchings, short 75 with a one hour minimum, no Tigers or 88s but 3 inchers welcome, lube and afro scheen optional..."

I'd say no arty barrages right out the door and try and stick to a fairly decent historical make up (IE:No fleet of Pumas with 16 FOs)...other than that, game on.

Mord.

I'd say no arty barrages right out the door and try and stick to a fairly decent historical make up (IE:No fleet of Pumas with 16 FOs)...other than that, game on.

Mord.

Attacking forces should be able to drop arty on a defenders set up zone at the start, defender can target attackers set up zone at the start but must have 5 min delay to allow attacker to evacuate it, add to that no hedgehogs and i'm happy.

p.s. Absolutely no Imperial Walkers !!!