Pre-Orders - WOOT!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Codename Condor:

Hey, i preordered and u havent take my money yet! how long does it take to charge? i recieved validation email so i guess the order went ok.

In the mean time and for the wait plz feel free to send me the manual on pdf on my email. Any version will be ok. (ill go hush-hush and wont tell anybody :rolleyes: )

I know it might be hard to believe in a time of PDF manuals, full game downloads and DVD size booklets with 4 pt fonts, but there is no PDF manual at all. The only manual that comes with the game is fully printed (and quite beautiful if I may say so myself :D ). There are some readme files of course and an errata that comes on CD and includes some last minute changes/additions which didn't make it into the printed manual; but the main game manual is a nice 150 page book that looks good and feels good smile.gif

Martin

Well my order is in. The price is slightly high IMO but I was expecting that. Hey, everyone needs to make their money. Can someone tell me what Starforce is?

Pre Order's should have been given a slight discount, that would have been cool.

Well, have owned SC1 for two years. Have been registered on this site for just over a year and have watched the various debates and discussions like a hawk on a regular basis. Relocated from one continent to another, and still watched and waited. Finally relieved to see the game go 'Pre-Order'. Have paid and bought my ticket. It's been a long wait. I've witnessed countless posts that have exasperated me and nearly tempted me to respond, but in the end HC has come up trumps and all the patient waiting has been worth it - at least, I hope it has.... ;)

[ March 01, 2006, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: LutraMage ]

Condor, every bank is different in how long it takes for a charge or a refund to show up. I would say though, if it doesn't post in the next 48 hours, please let me know and i can research to make sure all is well, although it really should be.

Madmatt

Night:

Starforce is a copy protection software that some publishers use to prevent people from illegally copying their games. It's found by some people to be rather intrusive and there are rumors that it might even damage your CD drive or something like that, although others claim that it's all rumors. I have a couple of games using Starforce and have had no problems myself.

However, all that is irrelevant because we're not using Starforce. Some of our games come with no copy protection at all, others only use simple cd checks. We will have to change that unfortunately because with each release this has been taken advantage of as we found tens of thousands of illegal copies floating across the net. But we'll be using a completely different copy protection scheme than what Starforce et al are using, which does not rely on the CD itself at all...

As for pre-order discounts... doing that would be against our principles. We want people to buy our games because they're good and well worth their price, generally after they have been able to check out the demo. We offer pre-orders to those who really cannot wait, but offering discounts would really encourage the wrong kind of behaviour.

If you look back at our pricing for all past games, it has always been more than fair especially considering what you get (printed manual for example), and we're really convinced that SC2 is WELL worth the $45 price tag. It's more than the $25 that SC1 was sold for, but SC2 is in a totally different league in terms of scope and features.

Martin

This is good news ...

1. Not using starforce is a good ideea; super tough copy protections only manage to annoy legit users and nothing more. I have yet to see a copy protection method that is 100% crack proof. Starforce is just another tough protection that was already bypassed. The answer to piracy lies in customers' appropriate behaviour and properly enforcing the law against piracy.

2. Ref the $45 price tag. If the game turns out to be what we expect it to be (or at least 75% of it), it is a very good price. BF is a smart company which listens to its fan community and tries to incorporate even some of the community's ideeas into their games. Few other companies really do so (I can remember of those guys who produced the X series of space sim/trading, Ergosoft or something - their latest product X3 Reunion has some of the community's ideas built into the game) and they deserve the respect of their fans.

OTOH you can think of countless pieces of junk that are being sold as I type this post, for $50+ ... and ppl still buy those , right?

@the BF guys -> can you tell me how can I get a copy here in Romania? Do you have anyone distributing SC2 for you here? Thanks.

Originally posted by hellraiser:

@the BF guys -> can you tell me how can I get a copy here in Romania? Do you have anyone distributing SC2 for you here? Thanks.

If noone is selling it in Romania i m sure someone in the Panzerliga will help you and can buy it for you ..you will have only additional shipping costs.

hellraiser, we do not work with distributors usually (only after a game gets much older), so the only place to buy SC2 for you will be here in our webshop. We ship the game anywhere in the world, and for you in Romania, it will be shipped out of our European warehouse (located in Irelan), ensuring a fairly speedy delivery (the main variable often being customs and not the actual shipping time).

Martin

Ok Martin, thanks a lot.

@dh -> You get the En/US versions? Because, dude, getting a deutsch personalised version is the same as getting a chinese one, at least for me smile.gif

Trying to decipher some freakish 33 letter words in the game manual is simply against the nature :D

Originally posted by hellraiser:

Ok Martin, thanks a lot.

@dh -> You get the En/US versions? Because, dude, getting a deutsch personalised version is the same as getting a chinese one, at least for me smile.gif

Trying to decipher some freakish 33 letter words in the game manual is simply against the nature :D

AFAIK some Pl-guys will order the english version as the german version will come later.

Originally posted by Moon:

But we'll be using a completely different copy protection scheme than what Starforce et al are using, which does not rely on the CD itself at all...

Hi,

Can you elaborate on this a bit more ? Are you thinking about server/online activation methods ?

If that's too broad a question a couple of short yes/no answers to the following questions might shed some light

1) Can I install SC2 on a portable not connected to the internet ?

2) Can I make a backup copy of all that is needed to re-install SC2 in 5 years time even if - God forbid - Battlefront is not around then anymore ?

Kind Regards,

Eddy Sterckx

I appreciate the response, I can understand now why we are not given a discount. Upon reflection the game is pretty much spot on price. It is 2006 after all.

I sincerly hope the copy protection is not TO hardcore, because it ALWAYS causes some kind of problem for someone. Like many have said, we don't want to lose/scratch/break our CDs then be stuck havin to buy a brand new copy.

Blashy, yes, you can pay by check, too. The instructions about alternative payment methods can be found on our sales policy page.

eddy, the answers are:

1) yes

2) probably yes

(and "definitely yes" if Battlefront would indeed not be around anymore)

This is all I can say at this point because the features are not yet set in stone. It's possible that SC2 will not even use this system yet, we'll see.

Martin

eddy, the answers are:

1) yes

2) probably yes

(and "definitely yes" if Battlefront would indeed not be around anymore)

This is all I can say at this point because the features are not yet set in stone. It's possible that SC2 will not even use this system yet, we'll see.

Ok - thanks - looking forward to this one smile.gif

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Codename Condor:

Hey, i preordered and u havent take my money yet! how long does it take to charge? i recieved validation email so i guess the order went ok.

In the mean time and for the wait plz feel free to send me the manual on pdf on my email. Any version will be ok. (ill go hush-hush and wont tell anybody :rolleyes: )

I know it might be hard to believe in a time of PDF manuals, full game downloads and DVD size booklets with 4 pt fonts, but there is no PDF manual at all. The only manual that comes with the game is fully printed (and quite beautiful if I may say so myself :D ). There are some readme files of course and an errata that comes on CD and includes some last minute changes/additions which didn't make it into the printed manual; but the main game manual is a nice 150 page book that looks good and feels good smile.gif

Martin </font>

By and large, the only time we will ever release a PDF version of a manual is if one is already been included in a released game. No reason to make things even easier on the pirates out there and having a printed manual is actually, in many unattended ways, a copy protection method.

So, short answer to your "Can I get a copy of the manual in pdf form?" question is NO.

Madmatt