Your input requested . . .

Okay. tomorrow I am going to go out and get a 3D card for my computer. I am running a PII-450 with 128mb Ram and Win 98. I want to spend $100 or less (prefer $60-80). I don't need a top of the line card (I plan on buying a new system later this year or early next year), but I want something that will run CM, Rogue Spear, Half-Life and Deus Ex. I am thinking 16-32mb Video card.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Stay away from the ATI cards I loved mine but it couldn't emulate fog. I bought a Voodoo 5500 and I like it what with the 4x Anti Aliasing and what not but there are glitches with it.

Maximus will no bestow upon you the virtues of the Geoforce.

I'd try for one of those (Geoforce) if I were you. You could probably pick up a 32 megger fairly cheap now.

Hope this helps.

Mord

[ 06-02-2001: Message edited by: Mord ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

I've heard geforce2 is the best for the bucks, but my 32meg Nvidia TNT2 was about 66 dollars and it works for any game I've tried so far.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which brand did you get? I have a Riva TNT chip in my other computer right now (unfortunately on an AGP slot - this hunkojunk only has PCI) and have done okay with it).

VowelLess, I just offered my Dad a GeForce 2MX PCI 32Mb.

It does wonder with CM.

His PC is a Celeron 533 or somesuch with 128Mb RAM.

So it's not too far off yours.

Be on the lookout for those GeForce PCI and you'll get the bang for the bucks.

Should be around you're price range too...

Its a Cardex Riva TNT2 w/32mb

Running in:

Athlon T-Bird 900 mhz

MSI K7T Pro 2A Motherboard

128mb RAM

ATA 100 7200 RPM HD

I love it. I threw my pentium 233 out the window (actually into my daughters room which is basically the same thing)

When I win the lottery I will move up to a 1.2 T-Bird w/DDR RAM and an ATI Radeon

I'll repeat my normal warnig smile.gif . If you decide to go for a Geforce, check your motherboard spec carefully. The Geforce cards normally require AGP version 2.0. I have a similar system to yours and the AGP slot is only version 1.0.

Personally I'm happy with my 32mb Creative TNT2.

Agreeing with Firefly and PL.

I use a 32mb Creative Nvidia TNT2 and it cost about $70 (where I'm at).

Never had any issues with it and it smokes on all four of the games you mentioned. Rogue Spear runs top-notch at 1024x768 with this card!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

I purchased a Maxi-Gamer Cougar (32 Megs) for under $100 that works well with CM and Rogue Spear about six months ago. My system is similar to yours, (AMD-K6-2/350) and my thinking was about the same. Good luck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too. The PCI Cougar with a PI400 and 128MB. It only slows down in large battles.

BTW. The use of smoke slows down the system. I then save, restart the game and it will speed up. Is there some memory hole or something? Anyone experience the same?

Lewis

When I win the lottery I will move up to a 1.2 T-Bird w/DDR RAM and an ATI Radeon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

An ATI Radeon, don't you know that ALL ATI cards don't support Fog under DirectX? Stay away from anything ATI if you want fog on a PC. Unless you plan on doing alot of TV in/out stuff, then stick with Nvidia-based cards.

And just out of curiosity, why do you have to win the Lottery for a 1.2GHz? The cost difference between a 900MHz and a 1200MHz isn't all that much, maybe $50 or so.

I thought the new Radeon had the better fog affects, it doesn't?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. It's an issue with ATI drivers and DirectX. For some reason ATI hasn't figured out a driver that will work with DirectX and support Fog Table Emulation.

ATI cards and drivers will support Fog on Macs, but not PCs. Simple as that. But like I said, the main use of ATI cards is for video editing and stuff like piping in video and converting it to video CDs and stuff.